Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Gimme moar oatz.

As we all know by now, and if not, if you scroll back a few weeks ago (since I have not been posting regularly) you will definitely come to realize that I absolutely love oats.  I am still going strong, and having my humongo bowl of oats every morning.  I still haven't made the same bowl of oats twice (even though there are definitely some I cannot wait to make again, I just keep finding or coming up with new versions that I just can't wait to try.  I swear at this point I would almost settle for having oats for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could, but that just wouldn't be right, nor would my body be getting all the nutrition it needs regardless of how healthy my oats may be.

The other day I had bought a sweet potato, and figured I should use it up in something.  Initially I had bought it to make curried sweet potato fries but never got around to doing so.  It's funny, every winter I buy sweet potatoes and they just sit there, until I have to make something out of them before they go bad.  Come spring and then summer I go through sweet potatoes like there's no tomorrow, at least three or four a week.  In the winter when you'd think I'd want those starchy gems I just let them sit until as late as possible, it's odd, but I notice this every winter.

The other night I was thinking of what kind of oats I wanted to make the following morning for my breakfast when I remembered seeing sweet potato oats at one point.  I didn't look at any recipes, I just figured I'd wing it and see what I could throw together with what I know goes with sweet potato (which basically ended up being a pumpkin/sweet potato pie version).

This is definitely a comforting bowl of oats - as are most, but with the extra addition of sweet potato it's just that much more comforting.  It had a nice creaminess to it (from the sweet potato and banana), as well as sweetness from the two as well, it had a nice touch of spice with crunchy nuts, overall, it had a perfect balance of what I'd been craving.  This came together in an incredible way and would surely make so again.


Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal




Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup coconut milk
  • 1 ripe banana
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp chopped pecans
  • Drizzle of maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup sweet potato mash
  • Hemp seeds
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425.  Wash your sweet potato and poke fork holes all throughout your potato.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Once cool enough to handle take the skin off and put your mash aside.  I did so the night before to save time, you can always used canned sweet potato mash as well.

In a small sauce pan, bring your oats, milk, water, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and sweet potato mash to a boil.  Once your oats have started to boil, mash in your ripened banana.  Keep your oats on the stove until your level of "cooked" oats has been achieved (mine take about 4-5 minutes, I still like them a bit hard).

Top with additional cinnamon, chopped pecans, chopped banana, hemp hearts and maple syrup.

As I said, I can't just eat oatmeal for every meal (regardless of how much I might really want it, and how much the thought seriously crosses through my mind).

Strawberry Banana Coconut Oatmeal




This is one incredible bowl of oats, especially after not enjoying some after a few days (due to the weekend, and not being in my own house for breakfast time).  I really enjoyed this, and it certainly held me over for the morning.  This was an incredible bowl for my pre-work out meal, as it was full of protein, fruits, carbs - perfect mix of things to make for a good wok out, and boy was it a good work out at that!

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 5 strawberries - chopped
  • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
  • 1 tbsp coconut flakes
  • Handful of chopped pecans
  • 0% fat strawberry Greek yoghurt
  • Maple syrup - to top
Directions:

In a small sauce pan, bring your oats, milk, water, cinnamon, salt, flaxseed, and vanilla to a boil.  Once your oats have started to boil, mash in your ripened banana.  Keep your oats on the stove until your level of "cooked" oats has been achieved (mine take about 4-5 minutes, I still like them a bit hard).  Top with your yoghurt, strawberries (I didn't want my berries to be warmed), pecans, coconut and maple syrup.

Chocolate Cherry Oats
Recipe inspired from here




There is nothing to say other than, amazing, make this now.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup frozen cherries, mashed
  • 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp hemp seeds
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 8 chopped almonds, toasted
  • 1 tbsp grated unsweetened coconut, toasted

Toppings - 


  • 1 tbsp 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 fresh cherry
  • 1 tsp grated unsweetened coconut
  • Unsweetened soy milk, to taste
  • Millet puffs

Directions:

Same as other bowls of oats, just do so with the varied ingredients.


And for something completely unrelated to food - a skateboarding montage filmed/edited by my boyfriend with a lot of people he spends time with skateboarding.  They all did an amazing job, and I figured I would spread the love, and try to get some views for it ;).



No comments: