Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Chocolate Frosted Doughnuts

Yesterday as I was doing some errands I stopped by the Bulk Barn since I wanted to get a mini heart cookie cutter for Valentine's Day.  Of course when I shop at the Bulk Barn I have to check out their baking supplies, since there is always something new I can add to my collection.  As I was perusing the Valentine's stuff I stumbled across a heart shaped doughnut pan, woohoo!  Doughnut pans are a lot cheaper than what I had expected them to be, for only $10.00 something, I definitely snatched one up.

I have never been a huge fan of doughnuts.  I worked at Tim Horton's for quite some years while I attended school and truthfully was never really tempted by them.  I can honestly say I probably ate less than ten the whole time I worked there (now cinnamon buns, and cranberry blueberry bran muffins are a different story mind you...), but, seeing healthy-baked versions of doughnuts on blogs has always tempted me.  I even attempted to make a batch of doughnuts in the past, thinking that without a doughnut pan they would still rise, silly me, this was when I first started blogging however, and wasn't really aware of the tools back then, it's funny to think how much my culinary knowledge has extended since then, wow.

Anywho back on track.  I looked at a few recipes last night, knowing I wouldn't have time to make a batch since I was going to dinner then heading over to my boyfriends, but I wanted to save some recipes so I can make them today.  /I guess this sort of makes up for the crummy blogiversary food I had yesterday right? ;)

I reviewed a few of the recipes I had saved, but they didn't quite satisfy what I wanted, until I remembered that Ashley from (never home)maker had posted a few doughnut recipes lately.  I quickly scooted on over and saw a recipe that seemed really interesting to me.  A doughnut that has oat flour, wheat bran, maple syrup plus others?  Healthy and baked, yet still delicious?  Let's try it out.  I went over to the kitchen, started pulsing my oats, adding the ingredients, stirring, and within less than twenty minutes I had a delicious smelling, freshly baked batch of doughnuts, perfect.  Needless to say, I gave them only a few short, short minutes to cool down before spreading the chocolate frosting on top and digging in.

I absolutely loved these.  I wouldn't say they are your traditional Tim Horton's doughnuts or anything, they remind me of an almost lighter muffin or something, but they are incredibly delicious, and you can definitely tell you are eating a treat rather than something healthy.  The wheat bran and the oat bran definitely add some sweetness which is delicious.  The only thing I would however just alter a teeny, tiny bit is the amount of maple syrup.  I would probably change it to 1/4 cup instead of 1/3 as I found it to be a little too sweet, however, everyone else enjoy them entirely so perhaps it's just me considering I haven't been eating sweets as of late.  However, an amazing first attempt and will surely be savoring these bad boys until they disappear, which hopefully isn't too quick.

Chocolate Frosted Doughnuts

Recipe taken from here

 Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats - processed into flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat bran
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp flaxseed + 3 tbsp water - mixed together (or 1 egg or other egg replacement)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Pinch of salt

Directions:


Preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a doughtnut pan.


Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  Pour into the six doughnut holes (this recipe made 10 doughnuts for me).


Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until slightly firm. Let cool in pan and then turn over to pop out.

Chocolate Frosting:


Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2-3 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:

I used the paddle attachment on my food processor -- on high -- to blend together.


Do you have any recipes for healthy doughnuts you can pass along?

No comments: