Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Second Year Blogiversary.

Today was one of those days I truly did not want to wake up.  The night before I didn't have the best of sleep, and I thought due to this my night would of been rocking (since I've actually been sleeping like a rock lately), but I was clearly mistaken.  I finished reading The Hunger Games (amazing read!), then tried getting to sleep, which did not happen until about 4:30 am, sad to say.  I tossed and turned all morning.  At ten o'clock I finally got out of bed because I needed to start my day, and make my breakfast because I had personal training at 12:00 pm.

This morning I truly wasn't feeling it.  This is the first time since I've started my training that I just did not want to go.  I could of called and re-scheduled but over the weekend I was really lazy and didn't do any exercise (not something I'm happy to admit).  I went and to my surprise it wasn't as bad as I thought.  We worked on my arms, and since then it's been a pain in the butt.  I could barely even pick up my bottle afterward.  When I went to shower (which I almost thought of doing at home, because I was moaning like a crazy person from how much my arms burned) picking up the shampoo bottle was a nightmare.  Nonetheless, I shan't complain, feeling a nice burn after a work out is always a wonderful thing, and then you get to refuel!  Secretly, refueling is one of my favourite reasons to work out, haha.  This morning I had a delicious shake made of coconut milk, frozen strawberries, frozen mango, and vanilla protein powder, I didn't have any spinach or anything on hand so it was just a quick and simple yet absolutely delightful treat after my work out.

Today marks my second year of blogging.  I remember writing up my post last year (as I'm sitting in the same chair I was), and the feeling I felt.  I wanted to make something sweet and special for this post, just like the average blogger does when they celebrate their blogs birthday, but this year I thought differently.

This year I'm in a completely different mind set.  At this point last year I was beginning to work through my eating disorder, I was wanting to put on weight (which I thought just meant eating a lot of food, which would usually end up with me turning to tubs of ice cream), I was also just beginning to work out.  This year, I'm at the point where I'm seeing a personal trainer three times a week, being aware consciously and mentally of the amount of protein I need in my body, and continuously getting it in my body, I am trying to put on mass, my being purely lean mass.  With that being said, as grand of an occasion as this is, I didn't want to make any sweets, even healthy raw sweets.  I wanted to celebrate with something that would taste fantastic, has fat, protein and would still satisfy me in a way where I feel like I'm celebrating something.  It may not look all fantastic to the regular viewer, but, it's about me when it comes down to it, and this is what I want in me to celebrate, because this is more than just celebrating my blogs birthday, it's about celebrating me as well, and how far I've come.

About a month and a half ago I had posted how I wasn't going to blog that frequently, but... that has not been the case.  I love blogging.  I love getting comments from fellow readers/bloggers.  I love the support.  I love sharing my recent snacks/meals/desserts with others.  I love being able to write about whatever I want, freely.  I love being able to share stories and take pictures and improve my skills in the artistic world via photographs and literature.  I realize that blogging is more than just writing for me, it's a great stress relief, and it helps me feel social when I sometimes don't want to leave the house.  It also helps me keep my diet in check, I need to remember to eat healthy, balanced, and moderate meals.

The meal I chose to make is one that I've been pushing farther and farther away for about three weeks now.  I planned on making it three weeks ago, but then always just make kale chips with the kale in the fridge.  This afternoon when I came home and had my shake I wasn't sure truthfully what I was going to make, since the fridge is a little empty (heading out to the grocery store in just a few minutes to stock up), that and the fact I had no motivation to cook.  However, I looked at the beautiful organic kale I had in the fridge, and I figured today is the day to make this meal that I've been post-poning.

I don't know why I waited so long to make this, but it was fantastiiiiic.  The smell once was the sauce was simmering was incredible, and truthfully anything with kale in it is usually a win in my books, especially if peanut butter is included.  Okay in all honesty, the reason why I'd been pushing this recipe back is because of one sole ingredient - tahini, I just really hate that stuff.  I buy it, and I cook with it, but it just grosses me out to no end, I'm not sure why considering I loooooove sesame seeds, but the flavour and consistency of tahini ew.  I know I could of just opted not to put it in, but tahini does give a fantastic creamy consistency.  To my delight, the other flavours melded wonderfully with the tahini and the salad was fantastic.  It took very little time to make, it was all done in one pot and took less than ten minutes to throw together.  It is healthy, has a lot of healthy fats and protein (which I also decided to bake up some crispy tofu to also add some more protein after my work out) and it was wonderful.  I made enough to have left for a few days, and cannot wait to dig in.

Yes, this may not be a dessert, nor might it be sweet, and it certainly isn't your typical blogiversary post, but it satisfied what I was craving.  Plus, there is always another day to broadcast sweets, I also figured since the last few posts of mine have either been bowls of oats or smoothies that I would show some "meal" food ;).

Spicy Peanut Ginger Kale Salad

Recipe taken from here





Ingredients:


Salad - 
  • 2 large bunches of kale (or 3 small)
  • 1 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup peanuts - fold in
  • 1 tbsp pickled ginger, chopped - (unfortunately did not have for today's salad but will be adding some after I go to the store!)
Spicy Ginger Peanut Sauce - 

  • 2 tbsp creamy salted peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp pickled ginger, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled/chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 tsp tamari
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar (yuzu flavored or add 1 tsp lemon juice)
  • 2 tsp agave syrup
  • 5 dashes cayenne
  • Fine black pepper to taste
Tofu - 

  • 1 package of extra-firm tofu
  • Salt and pepper - to taste

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 425.  Drain and pat try your tofu.  Cut your tofu into triangles, season with salt and pepper.  Place on a non-stick mat or parchment paper.  Bake for 45 minutes, or until crispy.



Place a large soup pot over med-high heat on your stove top. Add all the sauce ingredients and stir briskly until they melt and blend together. Reduce heat to medium and simmer/stir for about two minutes. Turn heat to low.

Pull the leaves in bits from the thick stalks of your kale. Wash if needed. Add the kale leaves (toss thick stems) - add kale to the pot until filled to the brim. Fold the kale into the hot sauce. Fold well. The hot sauce will wilt the kale.

Turn off heat and add the remaining amount of kale. Also add in the pickled ginger, peanuts and red onion. Fold the kale salad well for about a minute - until all the kale has wilted and the leaves and onion mixed with the sauce.

Serve warm or place in fridge - covered - to chill and serve cold. Will keep well for up to a few days.



How do you spice up your kale salads?
(Need kale ideas other than chips)

No comments: