Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Shake, shake, shake senora.

So, it's been a few weeks now that I've been seeing a personal trainer and things are looking up.  Not only do I get my butt whipped by the trainer (for it's easier to push yourself to the extreme when you have someone dictating for you what to do), but I am also whipping my own butt when I am going into the gym by myself and doing weights.  I was never someone to approach the weight machines, because honestly, it's not that I didn't want to, it was just a fear of the unknown.  I didn't want to use the machine improperly, and with that I just didn't try.  I've always stuck to your stereotypical "cardio" exercises, however, now that I'm education myself, and learning proper terms etc... I now know this - "Any form of exercise can be considered cardio exercise if it raises the heart rate sufficiently and can be sustained for long periods of time. Often normal activities such as walking or climbing stairs can be turned into cardio exercises if they are done intensely. Typically cardio exercise involves engaging major muscle groups which require a large amount of oxygen, such as the quadriceps, hamstrings, chest and arms. Running, swimming and bicycling are typical cardio exercises, though a wide range of activities, such as yoga, basketball or even sexual activity can constitute cardio exercise." taken from here.


With that being said, I do miss running and biking, but having my heart feel like it's going to jump out of my chest from doing weights is such an amazing feeling, and it's a nice change.  What's even more fantastic is that I'm gaining the knowledge to make this happen to me without a trainer.  I'm learning basics, and I know how to apply them to machines I hadn't used prior.


With all of this strength training I'm definitely feeling the need to fuel up, not just because I'm supposed to and told to, but because my body is craving the extra protein, the additional nutrients, and the increase in food overall.  On average I'm having about two protein shakes a day, this is helping a lot to keep me full since I'm packing them in along with my meals.  


I now have a lot of shakes under my belt that I'm really excited to share with you guys.  Recently I've stumbled upon a fLAVORATOr page on Pinterest, and it's super neat to see how many people have repinned my recent shakes as inspiration to healthy, delicious shakes.  This makes me feel really happy because I know I don't get a lot of traffic on my blog, but through Pinterest it definitely helps, and it's nice to share other bloggers recipes as well as my own.  Through all of this, I'm just going to jump to some recent shakes I've been enjoying that are simple and quick to make, and that are super delicious that I think you would all enjoy as well.


Peanut Butter Crunch Smoothie

Recipe adapted from here


I'm not sure what it is with me lately when it comes to peanut butter.  I've made three batches of peanut butter cookies.  Been stocking up on peanut butter cereal - these being my favourite.  Making peanut butter, jam and banana sandwiches at least four times a week.  Adding peanut butter into my shakes, or throwing some into my oats in the morning, whatever it is, I have been sucking it in like there's no tomorrow.  When I found a recipe to add peanut butter cereal into a shake, there was no doubt in my mind that I would be making it as soon as possible, especially since I had a box of this exact cereal on hand ;) fate or what?

This is definitely one of my recent favourites, hence my peanut butter binges, but with the peanut butter from the cereal and my protein powder it was pure heaven.  I even made a chia crumble that I'd recently made for some added protein/deliciousness.  This is a for sure you must make sort of recipe, do it for yourself, you will not regret it!

Ingredients:
Directions:

Blend milk, cereal, yoghurt and protein powder until smooth.  Top with cereal and chocolate chia crumble.

Chocolate Orange Smoothie


If you're already a fan of chocolate and orange together, you don't need me to tell you that this is going to be a sure fire hit.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Juice from 1 orange
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 scoop of protein powder

Avocado Citrus Smoothie

Recipe slightly adapted from here


It's been a while now that I've been tossing avocado's into my shakes, especially when I don't have any spinach left and I want some green-ness added in.  What's awesome about avocado when added to your shakes is the creaminess.  When I was younger and my mom make my brother and I smoothies they would always be made with juice, and I felt that this left them being very runny, and resembled a healthy juice.  When I make my smoothies/shakes, I like them to be creamy and thick - resembling a milkshake.  Seeing as it's been a few years since I've had a milkshake since I never buy vegan ice cream, and when I do have ice cream in the house I like to eat it in a bowl instead of drink form I needed to find a way to have this result in another form - frozen banana/avocado definitely gives you this result.  You don't need ice cream, you don't need to feel guilty you can just drink and enjoy.

This smoothie was incredible.  While I was drinking it, I was wishing that every sip I took, it would magically fill back up.  I am a huuuuuge sucker for citrus, and never think to put it in my shakes (other than orange of course), but the addition of both lemon and orange in this drink is blissful.  It has the perfect punch of tartness, than the yoghurt, avocado, banana and vanilla pick up and add sweet touches as well as bouts of creaminess.  Will certainly be enjoying this puppy come the summer time instead of lemonade, yum!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 an avocado - frozen
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1/3 cup blackberry non-fat Greek yoghurt
  • Juice of 3/4 lemon
  • Juice of 1 orange
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
Directions:

Combine everything into a blender and blend until smooth.

Caramel Apple Green Smoothie

Recipe taken and slightly adapted from here


And lastly - yes, you read correct - caramel apple smoothie.  The one thing I love about eating healthy is that there is almost  always an ingredient to mimic those unhealthy ones that we desire so much.  Milkshake/ice cream = pureed banana, creamsicles = Greek yoghurt + orange juice + pureed banana, caramel = dates, yes dried fruit resembles caramel especially when added with flavours that enhance caramel flavours such as apples.  This was incredibly delightful and such a wonderful treat.  This is sure to be enjoyed by all, even those avid of steering clear of green shakes.  


Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 apple - original uses frozen, I used fresh
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 2 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • Pinch salt
Directions:


Place in your blender in the order of the ingredients listed, then blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
When you want something refreshing and healthy what do you throw on in your smoothies/shakes?

No comments: