Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Complete and utter perfection...

A few years ago my hobby was scrapbooking. Oh how I loved to scrapbook. Just like now with baking and cooking I spent my free time looking at scrapbooking blogs, I imagined the new layouts I was going to make, which pictures were going to go with those layouts, which colours, what new products I was planning on buying at Michaels when the 50% off one item deal came in, I imagined it all. I loved to scrapbook, but then I went to university and that love had to cease because my studies became important. However, as my health started to spiral down this allowed me to develop a new hobby, baking and cooking, it was a bittersweet turn of events.

Soon my thoughts became wrapped around baking and cooking. I wanted to try new foods, new recipes, new combinations, new everything. I wanted to come up with stuff myself, however it seemed as though everything was already invented (what a fool I was). I often thought this about scrapbooking too, so I'd sit on those blogs save hundreds of layouts a night and replicate a couple before going and to bed and right after waking up in the morning. About 80% of the time I copied and that tiny little 20% of the time is when I came up with things myself.

I always noticed however that every time I replicated no matter how beautiful those pages were they just weren't as beautiful as the original. I notice this with food too. You can make something taste so amazing, flawless but the original will pretty much beat it because, well it's the original. You can adapt those flavours and fit them to your desires and that can make it amazing for you, but there's just that little tinge in your heart that's missing because you didn't come up with that recipe first.

Now, I am not saying I came up with this recipe, because I'm sure somewhere out there there is something similar to this but I came up with something fantastic that I needed to share. Lately I've been craving Rice Krispies like there is no tomorrow, but vegan Sam kicked in. I've known since a young age what gelatin is made from, however, after seeing what it is in writing just... did something different to the brain. Even this weekend when I went to the Bulk Barn I skipped past my favourite candies... it was difficult but I did so. I've been trying to look for vegan marshmallow recipes online but can't seem to find any (I'm going to attempt some soon using pectin we shall see) because there is no way I am spending $10.00 on six little marshmallow squares, it ain't happening.

With this I decided that I needed to come up with something that was going to hit the spot just as a piece of Rice Krispy square would, well I found something that ran hundreds of miles past, jumped and slam dunked in one swoop. What I created is perfect, in my eyes at least. We shall see what my fellow workers thing but I don't think I will find any complaints. I made half of the batch vegan and half vegetarian (since I had Reece's chipits and peanut butter fudge chipits that I wanted to get rid of to lessen my non-vegan baked goods so I figured I'd throw 'em in).

To start I adapted my original homemade peanut butter recipe... I changed it into something heavenly. Cinnamon raisin peanut butter.

Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter

Recipe by me
  • 3 cups of peanuts
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 1/2 tbsp EVOO
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 heaping tsp of cinnamon
  • Disregarded sugar
Processed, put to the side.

Peanut Butter Cococnut Kamut Puff Krispies

Recipe by me

This is where the goodness comes in. Look away Rice Krispies because you are soon going to be replaced by a healthier version of yourself but thanks for lighting the path!

Melted 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil + 2 cups of the above peanut butter on low heat.
Mixed in 1/2 cup maple syrup, stirred until everything was well mixed.
Turned off the heat and added 4 1/2 cups of Kamut puffs, mixed well.
Dumped 1/4 of the recipe into a non-buttered pan. <-- vegan version (then I topped this with flaked coconut and Peanut Butter and Jam Truffles.
For the vegetarian version I added 1 1/4 cup of Reeces chipits.
Mixed well, added to the pan.
Topped with peanut butter fudge chipits and coconut.
Allowed it to sit for 20 minutes.
Cut in and had the biggest food orgasm of life. That's right I said it... it really was that good.

Do I still feel the need to eat a Rice Krispy marshmallow square? Absolutely not! I had never tried kamut or Kamut Puffs before for that matter, however I saw it on the weekend and picked them up, glad I did because it turned out to be a fantastic idea.

HOWEVER, don't stop at just the bars, no no no! DO NOT throw out the crumbs, whatever you do! Gather those crumbs and put them in a big bowl of milk... I feel a trend of me beginning to like cereal because of all the good things I've been creating lately. Top it with a banana and maybe even another little drizzle of maple syrup and you have veg Reeces Pieces cereal with all natural ingredients!

Or try this!

Peanut Butter Cococnut Kamut Puff Krispies Fruity Parfait

Recipe by me

This was delicious, oh goodness, definitely one of the best parfaits I've ever had. I seriously felt like I was doing something bad eating something this delicious for breakfast. I mean seriously, it felt like I was eating a big bag of goodies but no I was not.

For starters I took ~ 1 tbsp coconut oil, mixed it with 1 tsp of raspberry agave nectar and a scant of water, mixed it until smooth
Took raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, mixed them into the creamy agave mixture.
Mixed well, microwaved for about a minute (wanted a sort of compote feel)

Took a tall glass.
Started with the "crumbs" of the Peanut Butter Coconut Kamut Puff Krispies, topped with tropical yoghurt, then topped it with fruit. Repeat, and ended with the fruit and added their juices.

This was perfection. Complete and utter perfection...

I can't wait to have this for breakfast tomorrow morning!

No comments: