Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Oh happy day...

Why oh why has this week been so painful for me?  It's not fair.  Is it because I leave Thursday night for vacation?  The work Gods are currently mad at me because I'm departing for a week?  I don't know.  All I know is this week has been horribly, utterly, insanely horrible to me.  Last night I didn't get home from work until after nine o'clock, by that time I felt too drained to do anything, but I had to. I needed to make my lunch, shower, and wanted to do a nice work out on the bike, but could only muster ten minutes... due to the time it took me to make my lunch and the fact that I needed to shower.  The ten minutes was good though, it was intense and it helped a little bit with the stress, but then it started all over this morning.  I didn't sleep too well, I woke up at 4:25 am, and ended up getting on the bike and doing 20 minutes of pretty intense cycling, it felt great. 

Then it was breakfast time.  I wanted a smoothie.  I haven't been making smoothies for breakfast too much lately because my mom took the remaining vanilla protein powder with her to Montreal.  This morning I really wanted one and so that is what I did.  It was delicious, and definitely drank it a little quicker than I should have but it was just darn delicious.  It was filled with lots of flavours and I absolutely loved it!

Matcha Banana Ginger Pick-Me Up Smoothie

Recipe by me
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger - chopped coarsely
  • 1 large frozen banana
  • 1 tbsp matcha powder
  • 2 cups of spinach
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tbsp candied ginger


Directions:

Give it a whirl in your blender, and enjoy.

Here I am thinking that this is going to be the starter of everything going well today, bah no.

... it is now time to get ready to leave, and my Lululemon Sigg bottle falls to the ground, and the mouthpiece crackers, perfect, just perfect.


Molasses Peanut Butter Banana Sandwich

Recipe by me

 
Oh well, I wasn't going to let that ruin my day, no, you always have to look at the glass half full not half empty right?  Well, I still had some foodie things to look forward to.  I made myself a mid-morning snack that was devilishly good.  Honestly... I was inspired by molasses cookies I suppose, because we all know those are my favourite flavours, this hit the spot.  Oh man, this was like eating cake, just so much healthier ... and I didn't feel like I needed to eat the whole darn cake to feel satisfied because of the protein from the peanut butter plus the banana it was very filling/satisfying.

Ingredients:
  • 1 piece of ciabatta bread - I need to make more since I used my last one on this... it freezes so, so well!
  • 1 medium banana - sliced
  • 1/2 tbsp molasses
  • 1  1/2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
Directions:

Mix together your peanut butter, molasses and spices until a nice smooth spread is formed.  Either eat your bread as is or toast it.  Spread your molasses-cookie spread and top it with bananas.  This is great prepared the night before, the bananas still stay delicious.  Loveeeeee this.  It's a guilt-free cookie, my favourite!

 

Lunch was well, delicious.  Two weeks ago I went to Walmart to pick something up for my mom and I ended up stumbling upon the grocer section and figured I would just do my groceries there since I was already there and honestly the selection was amazing.  I saw so many things that I cannot find elsewhere.  One of these things was marinated tofu.  I used to buy this coconut milk curry tofu from No Frills however they discontinued it... you do not understand how upsetting this is.  It was seriously the most delicious thing ever, I would put it in rice paper with vegetables and it was just perfect.  They discontinued it a while ago though, and I hadn't seen anything similar anywhere else... that is until I went to Walmart.  I came across curry marinated tofu.  


All I did was heat 1/2 cup of water with 1/2 cup of frozen peas, 3/4 cup Shiitake mushrooms, and 4 medium sized carrots until most of the liquid was absorbed.  Then I added the package and voila, lunch was made.  It was simple, it was quick and it surely was delicious!  The package was incredibly cheap too only $1.99.  Now I'm not one for buying packaged foods, but... it was so convenient especially after coming home after 9 o'clock pm, and it was still healthy.  


Lemon Meringue Pie

Recipe adapted from here

 
 For dessert I had vegan lemon meringue pie.  After having huge success, and loving my Banana Cococnut Cream Pie so much I figured I would try making another traditional pie but vegan.  This was good don't get me wrong, but not even nearly as good as the coconut cream pie... however, I'm a sucker for anything with banana and coconuts as we all know, and that was just sinfully delicious.


I pretty much did the same method, so follow along!


Ingredients:


For the Crust:

In my food processor went 24 vegan graham crackers, 1/3 cup coconut sap, 1/3 cup canola oil, 1/4 cup coconut flakes and 1 tsp chia seeds.


For the Filling:
  • 1 12.2 oz silken tofu
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • Zest of 1 large lemon, grated
Directions:

Combine the filling ingredients together in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Pour this into the crust, and bake for 35 minutes. Cool the pie on a rack, then refrigerate.

Has your day been good?  Or have you stumbled on some rocks in the road too?  Share!

No comments: