Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Breakfast is my favourite meal.

I said it not too long ago and I'll say it again breakfast has recently and quickly become my favourite meal of the day. Okay yes, lunch and dinner have so much variety it's true, but breakfast's okay, there are so many different types of grains, and with those grains the flavour combinations that you can make are infinite. Honestly, the amount of oatmeal recipes I've tried lately, and even just come across on blog's are crazy, and they all look so delicious that I don't even think in a lifetime I'd be able to try all the different oatmeal combination's even if I ate oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack and dessert time. That's what I love about oatmeal though, and honestly how can you get sick of it? It's hearty, warming, filling, delicious, healthy (depending what you put it in of course ;) ), but even at that the benefits that come from oatmeal, my my. Of course I am not only eating oatmeal for breakfast, sometimes I am having wraps (as you will see), smoothies, micro-muffins, fruit and yoghurt, avocado soft serve, just to name a couple.

Banana Ginger Micro-Muffin

Recipe adapted from here

I love banana bread, but then again, who doesn't? Those that are insane I suppose. To make a whole batch of banana bread is sometimes not the wisest of decisions, because when it comes to anything containing bananas I'm pretty much weak at the knees... I say that because you can have Nutella banana bread, walnut toffee banana bread, cinnamon chip banana bread, caramel banana bread, tropical banana bread, and the list goes on and on. It really does take a strong willed person not to devour a whole banana bread when it comes to combination's like those. However, to have banana bread in less than 90 seconds cooking time, and less than five minute prep time is just asking for it. How can you turn that down? It's individual portions, so you won't go all crazy and you can literally add whatever you want. Between all the breakfasts I have been eating lately this quickly creeped up the ladder and hit spot number one. It was fantastic. I altered it to how my mood was feeling that day and va-va-voom it was fan-freakin-tastic. I loved it. I literally did not want this breakfast to end. It was so simple to make. It was made in one dish, and it was warm just like you'd take out a fresh batch of banana bread I really couldn't ask for more, and it was for breakfast say what! Yes, I definitely, definitely recommend making this as soon as you can!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp flax meal
  • 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 (heaping) teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 mashed banana (mashed REALLY well, until egg-y)
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
Topped with:
  • Plain yoghurt - not shown in the picture. I shoved everything into my yoghurt container and made a giant mash, it was wonderful.
  • Almond butter
  • Banana
  • Coconut flakes
Directions:

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small bowl (I used a whole banana instead of adding an egg). Set aside. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a small bowl. Add them to the dry. Mix incorporated, but don't over-mix.

Spritz a mug (I just used a standard mug, no special size) with cooking oil. Plop in the muffin mixture, and place in the microwave. Heat on high for 90 seconds.

Eat in the mug or let cool for 1 minute and gently drop onto a plate. Top with desired toppings.

Tropical "Sushi" Rolls

Recipe adapted from here

Next was something that was equally as delicious as the above recipe. This was light, filling, filled with the tropics, easy to assemble and a breeze to eat. I loved it because it was incredibly healthy, and you wouldn't think that it was with the abundance of delicious flavours that your mouth is experiencing. I would certainly make this in a heartbeat, may it be for breakfast, lunch, snack or dessert. I loved it, and have been thinking of it ever since I made it the first time. I loved this because absolutely every bite hit me with a flavour that I absolutely love, and you cannot go wrong with that!

Ingredients:
  • 1 banana
  • Pineapple chunks
  • Coconut flakes
  • 2 large Swiss chard leaves
  • 1 tbsp homemade peanut butter
  • 1 tsp amaretto agave nectar
Directions:

Spread the tablespoon of peanut butter into the crease of the leaf. Drizzle it with about a teaspoon of agave or skip this part and drizzle on top as you would with caramel or chocolate sauce.

Cut your banana in half, and layer it so that it’s straight in the center of the leaf. Do the same with your pineapple chunks. Fold up all of the edges bottom edges, and then and wrap it up neatly from right to left.

Slice into 3-5 pieces. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and agave nectar.

Avocado and Strawberry Grilled Cheese

Recipe taken from here

Oh my goodness there are soooo many breakfast options! It's so hard to choose, especially when there are sandwiches - the possibilities with bread and all your fruits, vegetables, spreads, etc are endless, then there are smoothies again you can add powders, fruits, vegetables, spreads, juices, milks, oh my goodness, then again with oatmeal, then again with yoghurt, ah it's this never ending circle of infinite delicious possibilities. One sandwich that I was recently drawn to was an Avocado Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich. This was so delightful. I used vegan Italian cheese instead of sliced cheese, and then used my Cinnamon Raisin Bread and gobbled it down. I decided to make it into a panini as well, to reduce fat from either the oil or butter you choose to use. I really enjoyed this sandwich. It was creamy, fruit, cheesy, filled with cinnamon and raisins, it was a perfect way to begin the day. This would be a delicious after-school/work snack, mid-afternoon snack, even a dessert possibility topped with a bit of icing sugar, scrumptious!

Ingredients:

  • 2 slices of Cinnamon Raisin BreadItalic
  • Sliced vegan Italian cheese (or whichever cheese you desire_
  • Thinly sliced avocado
  • Thinly sliced strawberries

Directions:

Heat a panini press or skillet over medium heat. Layer the cheese, avocado, and strawberry slices in between two pieces of bread. Since my Panini press is non-stick I didn't use butter, but if yours isn't, either coat the outside of the sandwich with cooking spray or spread with a bit of margarine or butter.

Place sandwich into panini press or skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and crisp, turning halfway through if using a skillet.

Banana Scramble + Strawberry Yoghurt Topped Toast

I don't want to lie to you this was a sinfully delicious meal. It was so so so good, after having my first Banana Scramble I was hooked. I seriously fell in love with this breakfast. However, when I saw an idea (well I pretty much did everything the same), for a breakfast that had an open sandwich scramble, with another fruity yoghurt parfait on the other side of the bread I knew it was calling my name. This was heavenly. I had just done a huge work out so this was more than filling and was certainly rewarding. My kitchen was definitely a disaster afterward but I did not care, the satisfaction I got with each mouthful was so worth it. I love love love banana scrambles and am never let down every time I make them! Woo!

Side #1:

  • 1 slice of Cinnamon Raisin BreadItalic~1/4c plain yoghurt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 strawberry
  • 1 tsp hazelnut agave nectar
Side #2:

Banana Scramble
Heat a greased pan over medium [or a little lower]. Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mash with the back of a fork. Add more milk to reach desired thickness. Cook until browned + flip to brown other side.

Toppings:
What is your favourite meal?

No comments: