Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Mint Leaves Omelet + Green Tea Risotto

Growing up I absolutely detested the taste of mint. I hated all it's brothers and sisters too that often-time's found themselves in after dinner mints and gums; spearmint, peppermint, double mint, fresh mint, exotic mint, etc... over the years however, I started to develop a taste for it.

This summer I thought I would even be brave and do some cooking with fresh mint. This opened up such a new wave of flavours to me that I was really content, although sad that I was so ignorant of the taste before. The first recipe I made with mint was the canteloupe with mint, lime and sea salt. This to me was such a treat and made me realize that mint really is such a unique flavour and really can enhance the attatched flavours it's being blended with. I mean... over the years my palette has become in-love with mint chocolate... i.e. mint chocolate chip ice cream (oh my gooosshh... I ALWAYS loved this, childhood favourite but it's because it wasn't an in your face mint-overpowering shower), mint chocolate chip Oreo cookies (probably one of my favourite cookies), but really anything now.

Mint Leaves Omelet

Recipe taken from here

When I found a recipe for an omelet with mint I knew I had to try it. I mean, I love eggs. Their packed with lots of vitamins, omega 3/6's, they're fluffy and fatty and just a great comfort food. Then there is the mint. Together these flavours came together really well, especially with the soy sauce. My only complaint about this breakfast is that there was too much soy sauce even with the reduced sodium I still felt there was too much, but I really am not a salt-lover.

This was such a great breakfast. I remember when I made this the night before I couldn't wait to go to bed because I knew when I awoke the next morning a beautiful breakfast awaited me. This is a really nice way to spruce up your regular breakfast eggs. I wouldn't do this every day but it's definitely a nice treat here and there, as well it's so simple and takes barely time at all!

Follow me...

Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs
  • a handful of mint leaves
  • 1 tbsp of cooking oil
Seasoning:
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of light soy sauce
Directions:

Crack the eggs into a bowl. Add soy sauce and get the egg beaten.

Heat oil in a wok. Pour the egg mixture to fry. When it's almost cook at the bottom, toss the mint leaves on top of egg. Turn the egg to fry the other side for about 30 seconds. Fold the omelet into half and dish out.

Green Tea Risotto

Recipe taken from here

Now this is an awesome recipe. It's original, definitely thinking out of the box, and incorporates some of my favourite flavours in a rice dish, and it's in my favourite rice too, Arborio. I was uber excited to try this recipe out when I found it. I knew that when I bought the mint for the mint leaves omelet I would have some left over for green tea risotto so I prepped myself for a very minty day indeed.

I love making risotto and I was up for an adventure in the kitchen. I've never feared risotto, not sure why people fear it. I find the process really relaxing to be honest. This is a really nice dish, it's not too rich but it still has really great flavour. If you don't eat it like a maniac you get the subtle hints of green tea but the quicker you eat it you notice more of the lemon juice and the mint with bites of the peas in between. If you let the tea steep for longer you may get a really overpowering taste in your rice, and if that does happen you can simply add some butter or white wine as you typically find in most risotto's or even add some Parmesan cheese (which is what my friend and I did and it was delicious... sounds weird considering the flavours that were in the risotto but it tasted great).

Ingredients:
  • 2 quarts water
  • 8 bags green tea
  • oil for the pan
  • 10 oz package frozen peas, thawed
  • 1 cup mint (1 smallish bunch), minced
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 cups arborrio rice
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt and pepper to taste1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for passing at the table
Directions:

Bring 2 quarts of water to a near boil, then pour it over 8 bags of green tea in a pot. Allow to steep for 5 minutes, but be careful not to over-steep, as you don't want it to get bitter. Place the pot over a medium to medium-low flame to keep it warm.

Blanch the peas in boiling water for one minute, then drain and run them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.

Warm the olive oil in a large pan or heavy-bottomed pot and sauté the onion for about 4 minutes until it softens. Add the garlic, and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 7 minutes, then begin adding the tea, one cup at a time. Stir constantly until all of the tea has been absorbed by the rice and add another cup. Continue this process, adding tea and stirring to incorporate. As the rice gets thicker, it will take more time for it to absorb the liquid. The rice will be done in around 20 minutes, so begin tasting at about minute 17. The rice should be creamy, but still firm.

Stir in the grated cheese and peas until the cheese is melted and incorporated and the peas are warmed through. Remove the risotto from the heat, and begin adding the lemon juice, tasting, until it has a bright flavor. Then stir in the mint as well as the salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with a few shavings of Parmesan cheese over the top.

No comments: