Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Lavender Sugar Cookies + Peppermint Sugar Cookies + Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies with Coconut Icing

Lavender Sugar Cookies

Recipe taken from here

I had mentioned recently that I have become incredibly fascinated with lavender in baking. I love the scent it emits, i.e. it doesn't give off the strong floral scent that you usually receive from the fresh flowers, rather I find it gives off a perfumey smell, but a classical smell. The flavour is beautiful, rich, and sassy, I don't find it tastes' like potpourri like I have heard many people describe it as.

This cookie has been what I've been looking for. It had a crispy crunchy crust-like exterior, the sugar gives a crackle to the exterior, much like molasses spice cookies. The interior was soft, gooey and just insanely tasty.

With the added lavender flavour, this cookie was just insanely decadent. If you're not a fan of lavender, do without this cookie is surely to please. It is one of the most perfect sugar cookies I have ever had and am glad to of stumbled along this recipe. This along with my other sugar cookie recipe and the one that will be following.

If you don't have a sugar cookie recipe on your holiday list yet, either make sure that this one gets made, or the one below, you certainly will not regret it, and your guests will surely be thankful and full of large toothy smiles!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp chopped dried lavender buds
  • 3/4 cup of butter or shortening
  • 2 cups of white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 1/2 cups of flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream together the butter or shortening and the sugar.

Mix in vanilla and eggs into the creamed mixture.

Stir the lavender, baking powder, salt and flour together and set aside.

Blend baking soda into buttermilk.

Combine the buttermilk and dry ingredients alternately until you have a well creamed mixture.

Chill the lavender sugar cookie dough for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.

Lightly flour your work surface. Not too much as it will make the dough difficult to roll out and make the cookies hard. Before I roll out the dough, sprinkle the top with lavender sugar to keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin. Now cut with your favorite cookie cutters.

Bake for about 10 minutes.

Peppermint Sugar Cookies

Recipe adapted from here

This is the other perfect sugar cookie recipe. Now before I start, I'm just going to say it was adapted quite a bit because I was at Jordan's house and they didn't have a lot of ingredients that I would of typically used in my cookies so I had to adapt and make the cookies work. Well they came out divine. I was really skeptical at first, I made Jordan try the batter, he really enjoyed it, but I was skeptical. When they came out, it was just like the prior, hard crunchy sugary shell with a beautiful soft interior. I loved this recipe and when made with the ingredients from the original recipe I think it would definitely be perfection. The whole batch was almost gone that first day, I know, I ate four cookies that first day they just kept calling me, so delicious, definitely a perfect sugar cookie! I want to try this recipe out with the matcha as the recipe was adapted to, but they didn't have any at their house, therefore, after the holidays I will certainly be trying it this way.

Ingredients:
  • 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/4 cup vanilla yoghurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 candy canes crushed
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, matcha green tea powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat
in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll dough into balls about one inch in diameter and flatten slightly to create round discs, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies with Coconut Icing

Recipe taken from here

This was far from a perfect sugar cookie. It didn't have the beautiful crispy exterior, instead it was more of a cake-like soft texture. The interior was just as cakey as a pancake, and the flavour was sort of bare. I was a little disappointed since I had saved this recipe in hopes of finding a perfect recipe, but this was not it. Unfortunately I was giving these to my friend for her birthday so I needed to figure out how to spruce these bad boys up. Well, she is a huge fan of coconut so I knew I wanted to incorporate that into the recipe. I made a simple icing, added some coconut, and these cookies were perfect! The addition of the icing was magnificent, take away the icing, blugh... In the end she ended up loving the cookies, brought them into work and shared some with her family and they ended up loving them as well. I ended up turning a lot of them into double deckers, I thought they were really cute, especially with the blue icing and the snowflake sprinkles :)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cup sifted flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 cup vanilla fortified soy milk
Directions:

Cream butter, adding sugar gradually. Cream until soft and fluffy. Then add eggs
one at a time, beating after each addition. Sift dry ingredients together.
Alternately add ingredients and milk to egg sugar mixture. Mix well.

Chill 3 hours or overnight. Roll out on a well-floured board or counter top to 1/4-1/2
in. thickness. Shape with floured cookie cutters. Bake on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Coconut Icing
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1/2 cup toasted dessicated coconut
  • Food colour
Directions:

In large bowl, cream butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla and coconut extract. Gradually add coconut, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. (Add food colour if desired). Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.

Have yourself a great day!

No comments: