Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Strawberry Turkish Delight

Recipe adapted from here

As long as I've dated Jordan, I always remember talking about Turkish delight. Myself personally had never heard of this "delight" until I saw Narnia. To be honest, it kind of freaked me out. It reminded me of a jell-o-y slimy weird thing. I then had Turkish delight. When I first tried it I absolutely hated it, I thought that it had the oddest flavour. I then tried it again and fell in love. Since I had tried it, I decided to try and be risky and make it. I had looked over quite a bit of recipes, but could never find one that pleased me, what was I looking for anyways, it's not like I even knew what this intended. However, I found a recipe for rhubarb Turkish delight, and decided to make a simple syrup out of strawberries instead. Well this was certainly a successful recipe. It was delicious. I also have gotten over my fear of the jell-o-y slimy weird thing, and I look forward to trying new flavours of this foreign delight.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of strawberry simple syrup
  • 1 envelope of gelatin powder
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 1/4 + 1/4 cup of water
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of icing sugar
Directions:

Line the bottom and sides of a standard loaf pan with plastic wrap. Sift the cornstarch with the icing sugar and set aside.

Soften the gelatin powder in 1/4 cup of warm water. Let it bloom until fully hydrated. At the same time, dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup of cold water. Mix to make a slurry.

Put the rhubarb simple syrup in a non-reactive pot. Add the softened gelatin and the cornstarch mixture. Stir to blend completely.

Heat over medium high heat for about 15 - 20 minutes, approximately 112C.

Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Then pour into the prepared pan. Let sit 12 hours at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.


Remove the jellied mixture from the pan and place on a cutting board that has been liberally dusted with the cornstarch and icing sugar mixture. Dust the top of the jellied mixture, as well. With a clean, sharp knife cut into desired shapes and sizes. Carefully toss the jellied candy in the cornstarch and icing sugar mixture. Place on parchment paper to dry.

Do not store in the refrigerator. Store in a tightly closed container in a cold room. This will keep up to 3 months.

Strawberry Simple Syrup
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of chopped strawberries
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 cup of sugar
Directions:

Bring the water and rhubarb to a boil and turn off the heat. Allow this to steep overnight. Strain and reserve the juice. Add the sugar and bring to a boil. Chill.

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You recipe did not set up so i was left with jam. Any explanation as to how this occurred? I followed exact instructions and measurements.