Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Peanut Butter Reese's Pieces Maltesers Scones + Banana Cinnamon Bread

Peanut Butter Reese's Pieces Maltesers Scones

I am and always have been a fan of scones. I'm not sure if it's because, really, I'm an old lady at heart. I mean, what am I wearing today like I do every other day? Pearls. I know that they're more accepted now for people my age to be wearing them, I've been wearing real pearls since about the age of 17, and before that, I started wearing fake pearls at around the age of 12. I have always been fascinated with them. Why am I talking about pearls? Who knows, probably because I'm running on two hours of sleep and am really not feeling well perhaps. Nonetheless, these scones were delicious. I couldn't wait to wake up in the morning, slather those bad boys with butter and heat them in the microwave. Yes, there was already an insane amount of fat from the peanut butter and the maltesers but why not just add more to make it that much more decadent? These were insanely good, and definitely sinful, but if you're willing to indulge I definitely encourage you to make these!

Recipe adapted from here

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 10 tbsp butter, cold and cut into 10 pieces
  • 4 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 1 1/8 cup milk (1 c + 2 tbsp)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup Reese's Pieces Maltesers
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Pulse to combine. Add butter and peanut butter and pulse a few times, until mixture resembles very large, coarse crumbs. Add mini chocolate chips.

Combine milk and vanilla extract. With the motor of the food processor running, pour in milk. Stop when the dough starts to come together into a ball. Try not to run the food processor any more than necessary.

Divide dough into three or four pieces and pat each piece into a circle on a lightly floured surface. Cut each circle of dough into 4 or 5 pieces, to make 16 triangular scones. Place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 16-20 minutes at 400F, until light golden brown.

Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container if not eating right away.
The scones are best within two days of baking.

I saw this recipe when everyone was doing it for TWD, and I knew I had to make it. The swirls in the bread are so beautiful I just couldn't not make it... this is the reason I made the bread I have to admit. The other thing that drew me to this bread was the banana AND the cinnamon. These flavours are in my top ten favourite, so this was just something I knew I had to make. It was delicious. Absolutely fantastic, and the aroma when it was taken out of the oven. OH MY GOODNESS! That's it, great, great bread.

Banana Cinnamon Bread

Recipe taken from here

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water
  • 3 teaspoons yeast1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup Greek-style yogurt
  • 1/2 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
  • 2 3/4 cups (12 3/8 ounces) bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Directions:

In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the water, yeast, and a pinch of the sugar and set it a aside a few minutes to get frothy.

Add the remaining sugar, yogurt, bananas, bread flour, salt, and vanilla. Knead with the dough hook until the cleans the sides of the bowl and start to get elastic.

Add the olive oil and continue kneading until the mixture is smooth, silky, and elastic.

Form the dough into a ball and put back into the bowl. Drizzle it with a little oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until doubled in size, about an hour.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with a little baking spray, if you want the extra insurance that it will come out.

Flour your work surface and knead the dough a bit, then roll it out into a rectangle about 9 x 15 inches.


Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon and spread it evenly over the rectangle, leaving about 3 inches un-sugared at the far end. Roll the dough up, jellyroll-style, so you've got a 9-inch long log. Pinch to seal the ends and the seam.

Place the dough seam-side down in the pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until dark golden brown. Remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool completely on a rack before cutting.

Enjoy!

No comments: