Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Scallops with Pea Puree

The recipe that I’m about to post is one that I have wanted to try for quite some time. I had never personally cooked with scallops before (until the Sea Scallops Wrapped with Bacon) however my intention when I bought them was to make this Scallops with Pea Puree and Pancetta. When Jordan was over I thought it would be the perfect time to make them because it seemed to be an easy meal to make (which it was), and seemed incredibly delicious and healthy (which it was).

This meal honestly was so delicious. It was fast to make, simple to make, especially when you have someone chopping up your onions so you don't cry like a fool, and it was incredibly easy to eat i.e. insanely tasty. I've recently just started eating scallops, and honestly they pack so much flavour. I've had pea puree before, when I made Salmon in Lemon Brodetto with Pea Puree, when I had this dish I immediately fell in-love with pea puree. It's just so sweet, and even though it looks kind of odd more like baby food than adult food, once you take the first bite you get over its appearance. When I had first seen this recipe it wasn't even the scallops that excited me, no it was the fact that I could have another meal with the pea puree.

I loved this meal, as did Jordan. His we added bacon to it, since we didn't have pancetta, and I made mine with out of course. Definitely a beautiful meal. This meal really screams out love. If you're planning on staying in and cooking a special meal for you and that someone, or even for your family this is a great great dish!

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
  • 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
  • 3 ounces diced pancetta (used bacon instead)
  • 2 tbsp EVOO
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 cups frozen early sweet peas, thawed
  • 1 cup water/vegetable stock
  • 12 medium sea scallops, patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp butter
Directions:

In a small bowl combine the parsley, lemon zest, and one tablespoon of shallot (known as Gremolata.) Set aside.

In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the pancetta until crispy and cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan, leaving some of the reserved fat in the pan. Set aside.

In the same pan, over medium heat, sauté the remaining shallots and garlic for about 3-4 minutes. Add the peas and broth and season with a little salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 5 minutes.

Transfer the contents to a blender and puree to a smooth consistency. Return the puree to the pan, along with the cooked pancetta, cover and set aside to keep warm.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter and the remaining olive oil over medium-high until very hot. Add scallops and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides and almost firm to the touch, about 3 minutes per side.

Enjoy :)

No comments: