Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Brussels Sprouts and Shiitake Mushrooms + Broiled Salmon + Garlic Ginger Mixed Rice + Garlic and Ginger Mixed Rice




As part of my New Years resolutions I said that I was going to plan out weekly meals and start making meals. I did this because I stopped eating meals, and was snacking on a lot of things. If I eat bigger meals than the snacking stops (even if it was snacking on healthy foods, its still not a healthy habit).

The day I got back from our New Years trip, so on the second of January I wanted to make a nice meal for everyone. This is what I did.

I made Brussels Sprouts and Shiitake Mushrooms

Recipe inspired from here

Now, I have made Brussels sprouts before and seriously detested them. I had looked SO forward to having them but they tasted like dirty feet. However, at Christmas dinner my dads girlfriend made some and me not judging a "book by it's cover" I decided to try them again. I have always had the belief ever since I start cooking/baking for myself that all food has the potential to taste good if cooked properly, needless to say I hadn't made them properly again. My dad and I literally devoured the whole dish that she made. I was popping them like candy, literally, with my fingers into my mouth, nomnomnom. I decided I would give them another shot myself. Ugh, yeah, out of everything I made they were my favourite, especially since they were added with the ever delicious Shiitake mushrooms!

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Brussels sproutsBulleted List
  • 1 lb Shiitake mushrooms
  • 1/8 cup wine vinegar
  • 1/8 cup + 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup EVOO
  • 2/8 cup red wine vinegar
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels Sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Clean the mushroom by wiping it using a dry paper towel. Do not wash them. Cut into halves if they are big. Spread the sprouts and mushroom on a baking pan. Mix with above ingredients and let them marinate for at least 30 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 35-40 minutes until crisp on the outside.

Shake the pan a couple of time to brown the sprouts and mushrooms evenly. Sprinkle with some more salt and pepper if needed.

Broiled Salmon

Ingredients:
  • Above dressing used for Brussels sprouts (I made it for this first, then when it was over the salmon I added the rest to the B. sprouts).
  • 4 salmon filets
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:

To prep the salmon, rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Coat each piece with the rest of the ingredients. I know that everyone has a preferred doneness for fish so just use my instructions as a guideline. I like a crisp outside with a slightly undercooked center– to accomplish this, I put my salmon in the oven for about 3 minutes (depending on the size of the fillets) then I turn on the broiler and let the top brown and cook for a minute or two.

Garlic and Ginger Mixed Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup brown rice
  • 1/2 cup white rice
  • 2 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 2 cups water
Directions:

Place above ingredients in your rice cooker and let it do it's magic.

No comments: