Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

A day of delightful foods.

Oooookkaaaaayyy.  Hold the phone!  I have found, I think what I have to call my all time favourite breakfast/post work-out protein shake.  I have shared, dozens upon dozens of incredible, savoury, protein-packed, iron-filled, healthy shakes, that I have said time and time again, you HAVE to make this one, or, this one is my favourite, but, but, but, I think I found it, and to my surprise it incorporates one of my least favourite fruits - blueberries.

Recently, as I've mentioned about two or three times now on my blog, that my go-to shake, when I don't feel like thinking, or looking up recipes is a really easy Green Strawberry Mango shake (I really should take a picture and post the recipe so when I do talk about it I can link back to it).  However, I now have this incredible Green Blueberry Mango shake, that I think tops my go-to, and that is saying something, because I absolutely loooooooooove that shake.

When I made this one this morning, I'm not sure what made me think of this concoction, or to think that mango and blueberries would even be a good match, but they are a match as peanut butter and jelly are, it is incredibly, without a doubt divine.  This shake was so creamy, sweet, filling, it was just out of this world.  I can't even describe the flavour pairing, it's just something you have to experience, and luckily for me, I will be experiencing it again after tomorrow mornings work out.

Do yourself a favour, and try this out, heck try it out and try to describe to me the flavours that the party in your mouth is celebrating because it is surely delightful.  Mmmm, I cannot wait to enjoy this again tomorrow morning!

Green Blueberry Mango Shake




Ingredients:


  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 3/4 cup frozen mango chunks
  • 2 heaping cups of baby spinach - fresh
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cup 0% fat blueberry Greek yoghurt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 scoop of protein powder
Also, I want to share with you not only todays post work-out smoothie, but what I ate before I headed out to the gym, because it was incredible.  Now, we all know I love pancakes, I don't make them a lot, but they are certainly tied with oatmeal, and, we will throw in crepes to this category as well, since they are basically just thin pancakes.  When I was in university, I hate to admit this, but I ate crepes a loooooooooot.  The cafeteria food drove me bonkers, and crepes were something that made me feel a bit better about myself since they weren't fried or greasy.  My favourite, and only one that I would get was banana and Nutella, oh my word these were amazing.

Now, I have not found many vegan crepe recipes, and the ones that I have come across, truthfully didn't really sound that amazing to me, so I'd never made any.  A few weeks ago, I'd stumbled across a recipe that instantly got my attention.  I saved it, I had planned on making it numerous times and never did.  Last night, as I was going over the recipe, I was planning on deleting the recipe, but then I figured, no way Jose, this caught my attention I need to go through with it, and decided that I would make it for breakfast when I wake up.  Well thank goodness I decided to keep it, because with the killer banana combo I decided to throw in, it was just, blissful.  I mean, the photograph won't do it any justice, since I'm a horrible photographer, but listen to me, today has been incredible for meals and it all started out with this wonderful breakfast.

Magical Peanut Butter Banana Crepes

Recipe slightly adapted from here


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Dash of salt
  • 5 tbsp + 1 tsp almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil
Directions:

Mix dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients.  Mix well until you have a smooth batter with no lumps.

Meanwhile heat a medium sized frying pan with a light covering of oil.  Once the pan is hot add a large spoonful of batter to the pan and move the pan in circular motions to spread the batter into a large circle.  Cook for approximately two minutes and then carefully flip to cook the reverse side for approximately one minute until both sides are lightly browned.  Repeat.

I then topped it with this magical banana beast.

Ingredients:
Directions:

Crush your cereal and add them to a bowl along with the flaxseed and pumpkin pie spice.  Mix until well combined.

Coat your banana with your peanut butter, and then roll it in the spice combination.

I then cut the banana in slices, topped it on the crepes and made it extra sinful by adding maple syrup and peanut butter chips!

Strawberry Orange Tofu Pecan Salad


Lastly, I want to share a quick salad that I've been throwing together the past few days, and definitely enjoyed again today.  It is so easy to make, and by far one of the best salads I have ever created, and even tried for that matter.  You should definitely give it a shot if you're in a rush, or even in a salad slump, this will get you out, and seeking more and more, trust me!

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 cups of fresh baby spinach
  • 3 small strawberries - quartered and then cut in half again
  • 1 tsp black sesame seeds
  • 1 batch of orange tofu (recipe to follow)
  • 1 tbsp chopped pecans
Orange Tofu

Recipe taken from here

Ingredients:
  • 1 block extra firm tofu
  • 1 orange
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Directions:

Drain the tofu and wrap in a paper towel. Squeeze the excess water out of the block of tofu and cut it into triangles or cubes.

Peel your orange and smash it in a medium-small lidded bowl, getting it nice and pulp-y.  Stir in the soy sauce, garlic and 1 tbsp of the oil. 

Place your tofu into the marinade, cover with the lid and shake gently so that every piece is covered with the sauce.  Let it marinate for at least 2 hours.

Once the tofu is done marinating, p
reheat your oven to 450 degrees F.  Add the tofu (but save the marinade!). Cook for 45 minutes or until golden.

Toss your salad components together, and dress with remaining marinade!


How do you spruce up your salads when you're in a rut?

No comments: