Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Not your traditional miso soup.

Ever since I started eating sushi, about six years ago, one of my favourite soups is now miso soup.  I love the fact that it's light, but still incredibly satisfying, especially before gorging on all-you-can-eat sushi.  Lately I've been craving sushi like there is no tomorrow, however, every time I go it's not as satisfying as it used to be; this does have something to do with the fact that I only eat vegetable sushi now.  The past few times I've gone out for sushi as well I've passed on miso soup and gone for the salads, why?  I'm not quite sure.  This afternoon however, after doing my work out,  I wanted to actually cook something.

As you all have probably noticed, seeing as it's been about a month now since I've posted on here, I've gone a little awol.  When I got back from Korea I was getting into the habit of writing up my entries as I was making the food, however, somewhere along the way that stopped.  Not only was I not writing up my posts, but the foods in which I was making were stopping, no, I did not stop eating, but I just haven't been very creative as well as just haven't been feeling very inspired when it comes to the kitchen lately.  I've been dealing with some personal things, and to say the least I just haven't been motivated in certain aspects of my life due to it.

With all that being said, even the meals I plan for the week came to a halt.  My breakfasts' haven't even been the greatest, sure they've been tasty, I love me a giant bowl of Greek yoghurt with either cereal mixed in or a giant bowl of fruit to go alongside with my yoghurt, but I haven't been doing my usual smoothies or oats.  I've been lazy, and well feeling down to be quite honest, and spending some time in the kitchen when it's not 100% necessary has not been something that's been on my mind.   

Unfortunately I was just kick starting my usual work out habits too, and I've been sort of slacking here and there.  Usually I don't take rest days, but I've been taking between 1-2 a week, that's not a bad thing at all, since your body needs rest, it's just not something I typically do, but lately it has been something I do more regularly.

Anyhow, I apologize about my absence but sometimes you just need a break from certain things.  Usually I turn to my blog/recipes for inspiration in my daily life, but I tend to notice that whenever I get anxious I just don't feel motivated in the kitchen and I stick to very simple, and quick meals.  With all that being said, I'm going to make an effort to write up posts, and get back into the kitchen and my regular routines, as I very much miss sharing the delicious meals with my readers.
  
Now to finish what I was saying before I went into a tangent.  After my work out I didn't want anything heavy, and I didn't want anything that would take a long time to make, so I decided on soup, miso soup to be exact.  Before I went on my boredom streak in the kitchen I of course mapped out my meals for the week, one of the meals being miso soup.  This soup has been on my mind for quite some time and I figured what better time to make it then today, especially when I was feeling motivated to actually cook.

This soup isn't your regular Japanese miso soup that you would get when you go out for sushi.  In fact, it's very different, the only thing I think it shares in common to be completely honest is the miso paste haha.  I would call this a kitchen-sink miso soup.  Honestly though, this may be one of the best miso soups I've ever had, but it's because it was an actual meal and not just a little appetizer so it's a little hard to compare the two.

This was a cinch to throw together, and it used up a lot of the vegetables we had laying around in the fridge.  It was perfect, especially because I thought I was going to have to make a side dish but in throwing all the vegetables I had laying around it was actually a really great portion and surprisingly filling.  I would certainly make this again, especially in the winter, yum!

Chinese Five Spice Miso Soup

Recipe inspired from here


Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp EVOO
  • 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tsp garlic, minsed
  • 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
  • 1 cup frozen unshelled edamame
  • 1 large bunch of kale, chopped
  • 1/4 cup broccolini, chopped
  • 1 bunch of bok choy
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 tbsp white miso paste
Directions:

Heat EVOO over medium high heat, cook onion until translucent, about five minutes; add Chinese five spice, mushrooms, edamame, kale, bok choy, broccolini and garlic and cook an additional five minutes.

Pour vegetable brother and water into your pot, bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in the miso paste.

 
Have you ever tried to re-make your favourite restaurant soup?

No comments: