Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Oats, oats, oats!

*Note: I have edited and edited this post, I'm not sure why the formatting is wrong, sorry :(

Quinoa has been a "grain" that I have been using for a couple of years now.  I have used it in cookies, scones, breakfasts’, dinners, and I’ve used them ground as a flour.  Up until this summer I had only heard of/seen quinoa used as it’s circular-self or ground up as a flour.  However, as I was perusing blogs this summer, I came across a truffle recipe that instead of using instant oats used quinoa flakes.  This left me intrigued as I’d never seen this being used before.

I’d looked in my local grocer’s store a couple times when I went, not surprised that I didn’t find it.  However as my mom and I were at our local farmer’s market this summer, I used to always go to this one vendor because they sold organic items, these items didn’t only include fruits and vegetables, there were wide varieties of spices, dried fruits, nuts, varieties of oats and flours.  As I was perusing I came across bags of quinoa flakes, to my delight I quickly grabbed a bag.

All summer those flakes sat in my cupboard.  Every time I made oats I vowed to myself that I would make them with quinoa next time, however, I love oats, and I had the thought of, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” in my head.  It wasn't until I was packing away my supplies from Montreal to head to Korea that I figured I would bring the quinoa flakes with me so that I would have some easy food to eat in case I was having trouble finding veg food in Korea.  Little did I know that Jordan was an oat hoarder /cough.
The first few weeks I was here, I was keeping breakfast simple with a quick peanut butter protein shake with a banana on the side (no blender here, makes for very boring “smoothies”).  Seeing as I wasn’t making my meals at first, and eating far too much rice, I didn’t want my breakfasts’ to be heavy either with oats, so I kept them to simple protein drinks.  However, I’ve been making my meals lately, and a lot more delicious salads, since it’s actually rather difficult to find salads in Korea, I’ve been making those quite often.

For breakfasts’ I’ve been making varied types of oats.  When I first started using the quinoa flakes as oats I was well… confused.  To be honest, I made Jordan a bowl of quinoa flakes first before I made one for myself.  When he ate them his response was, “Sam, you make your oats different than me”.  I was really confused by that statement to be honest, because I’ve made him oats numerous times before, and had made him quite a few bowls since being in Korea. “Your oats have like… melted together”.  It wasn’t until the next morning when I made a bowl for myself that I understood what he meant.

The first bite I took, I almost thought I was eating this grainy who-knows-what.  I mean, the bowl was still delicious because it had flavours that I absolutely adore but the texture was just strange.  However, the more and more I’ve been eating it, I actually really like it.  I’ve been eating it with simply just quinoa flakes, but mixed with half quick oats is super delicious as well.  When this bag of flakes is not, I’m not sure if I would be so quick to jump and buy some more of these flakes, but as an oat substitute for a while they certainly are delicious.

Seeing as I’ve been making these quinoa bowls for breakfast the past week and a bit I have made many varieties, today however, I am going to be showing you two that I really enjoyed.

Fall Inspired Apple Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa Bowl


Ingredients:
  • 1 large apple, cubed, skin on
  • 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 heaping tsps cinnamon
  • Handful of raisins
Directions:

In a medium pot over medium heat add your quinoa flakes, apple (leave a bit to top your oats with), soy milk, water, salt and cinnamon.  Once it’s come to a boil mix and cook to desired consistency.  Top with remaining apple pieces, raisins and additional cinnamon, yum!

Bowl of Monkey Oats

 

Ingredients:
  • 1 banana
  • 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • Handful of chopped walnuts
  • 1 heaping tbsp peanut butter
  • Dash of salt
Directions:

In a medium pot over medium heat add your quinoa flakes, soy milk, water, cinnamon and salt.  .  Once it’s come to a boil throw in your banana (chunks) and mix until you have a nice thick consistency or until you reach your desired consistency.  Top with walnuts, few slices of banana, peanut butter and additional cinnamon.

...

Here is the same version, however, sans peanut butter with maple syrup instead!

Banana Cinnamon Walnut Oats


These may not be your typical oat bowls, I mean everything is the same as I’d normally make my oats other than the actual type of oat itself, but I know that if I was stranded in a remote island with my fixings and quinoa flakes I know I would be okay.

I mean sure, they may not be your regular bowl of oats...

Chocolate Amaretto Cherry Overnight Oats

Recipe slightly adapted from here


Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup vanilla fortified soy milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp cocoa nibs
  • 14 cherries, frozen
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • Amaretto agave nectar, to taste
Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Allow to sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.

heck you might not even get the same consistency in a smoothie...

Basil Lime Mango Smoothie

Recipe slightly adapted from here


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup mango + more for garnish
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 lime freshly squeezed
  • 3 tbsp oats
  • Handful fresh basil leaves
  • 1 tbsp chia seed
Directions:

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix thoroughly and place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, pour ingredients into blender and process until smooth.

if you were using quinoa flakes instead of quick oats, however, in time, I’m sure I could learn to love everything about them just as much as I love quick oats.

... can you tell I still had some left-over summer recipes to share with you all? ;)

Have you tried quinoa flakes before?  
 If so what did you use them in/what did you think of them?

No comments: