Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

First post in forever...

Okay, okay, you know you've post-poned blogging a little too much when you're getting messages from people (including your dad) telling you to stop being so lazy and update your blog (love you too daddy).  I'm not sure if it's the gorgeous weather we've been having, the fact that I've been focusing a lot of my free time on biking, that I'm in a new city and incredibly curious, but lately I have been feeling no motivation when it comes to my meals.  If I showed you what I've been having for lunch on certain days you would surely point a finger and laugh in my face... a couple of the people at work did just that.  They've lacked, and have not even been close to being original and all around suck.  Some of them have sucked so much that I end up ditching it, and just eating mass amounts of cake.  I'm not sure what it is lately, but I just feel bleh.  I need to get out of this rut, because to start off I'm going to be a big pudge ball by the end of the summer regardless of how much I'm staying fit.  None of my amazing clothing that I've been buying are going to fit if I continue on this lazy spiral of doom, and I'm just going to feel like a big sac of dirt.  I don't like feeling like this, I just ehhh.

It's been hard the past week... in all aspects, food, sleep, being active, it's just a vicious cycle.  I haven't been sleeping at all and I feel as though that's why my priorities are sliding momentarily.  My menu plan is so bare there are holes and usually my meal plans go into the next week with ideas seeping from the edges.  This week, I have breakfast ideas for each day, with ONE actual meal.  With that being said I've been winging my lunches at night and they're just horrid.

I decided I'm going to write some goals down, some do's/do not's ... i.e. not to binge on a million pieces of cake and see if this inspires me to stop doing what I'm doing.  Truthfully though, I feel better about myself physically/psychologically than I have in an incredibly long time even though my food is horrible, and my sleep is almost non-existent... despite all this I'm still getting between 40-50 minutes of exercise a day so I think that's what's keeping me a little balanced.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to have to take some time to do the rest of this week's meal plans or I'm going to be in trouble, as for now, I'm just going to embrace it.  Everyone fall's off the wagon once in a while, we all slip and slide it's up to us not to let it get the best of us.  We need to not focus on the down's, but know how we can bring ourselves back up and know that we aren't stuck forever.  You can't let your mistakes take over, that's when slips become habits, and habits are bad to break.  I've put too much time, sweat, and effort into being fit and healthy to let a little rut take over, so now, it's time to get serious.

Back on track.  Back to making the schedules, back to following the schedules, back to thinking healthy, back to being me :)

... Secretly, regardless of how much I miss the blogging world, and my readers it's been nice not to take out my camera every time I make a meal to snap a shot that just end's up being not so pretty, even though in real life my food looks fantastic.  However, I really have missed expressing myself and sharing my recipes so I figured I would do just that today!

With that being said, my breakfasts' have still been full of flavours with them still being healthy so I thought I would share a few recipes of what I've been enjoying.

Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry-Banana Soft Serve


Recipe slightly adapted from here

This is definitely one of my most memorable and favourite breakfasts from the past couple of weeks.  It is so simple to throw together since you do the majority of it the night before, and you get a refreshingly cool and healthy/tropical breakfast, perfect in the morning after you've biked like a champ and sweat like a maniac.

Overnight Vegan Oats:

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 3/4 cups soy milk
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds 
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and place in fridge overnight, or for 2-3 hours. Stir well before eating.

Ingredients:
  • Vegan overnight oats (above)
  • Mango chunks
  • Pitted cherries (I used frozen)
  • Cherry Banana Soft Serve (Process a handful of cherries with 1 frozen banana)
 Directions: 

‘Soft serve’: In a food processor, process the frozen bananas with cherries until smooth like soft serve. You can add a splash of milk to help it along.

In a glass, layer the ingredients. I did a layer of overnight oats, mango or cherries, granola, soft serve, repeat.

Creamy Blueberry Coconut Smoothie

Recipe slightly adapted from here

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 6 tbsp oats
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp blueberry peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Toppings: blueberries/coconut
Directions:


To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, pour ingredients into blender, and process until smooth.

Top with additional blueberries + coconut


Simple snacks:

Orange Peach Dessert Bowl


Ingredients:
  • 1 orange (juices dumped into the bowl) - cut into squares
  • 1 peach - cut into squares
  • 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
  • Dark chocolate orange - lightly zested over top
Directions:

Orange + peach + yoghurt mixed together.  Leftover orange juiced poured over top.  Chocolate zested and voila, simple and delicious!

Orange Cashew Chocolate Truffles

Recipe taken from here


Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup cashews
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp oats
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour 
  • 5 pitted and chopped dates
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • Zest of 1/2 an orange
  • 1 tsp orange juice
  • 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
  • Topping: 1 dark chocolate orange Lindt bar
Directions:

In a food processor, process the cashews and oats until a fine powder appears.  Add your flour and dates and process until fine crumbs.  Now add in maple syrup, vanilla, chocolate, orange zest, and 1 tsp orange juice, puree until a big ball forms.


Take the dough and form into little truffles.  Place on a prepared cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat.  Set in the fridge and get ready to melt chocolate.

In a double broiler, melt chocolate and orange zest until creamy.  Remove from heat, and get truffles out of the fridge.  Dip the truffles into the chocolate halfway.

Keep truffles refrigerated or in the freezer.

Coconut Ginger Baked Sweet Potato

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • Sea salt and pepper - to taste
  • Coconut flakes - to taste
  • Grated ginger - to taste
  • 1 tbsp coconut milk 
Directions:  

Preheat oven to 425.  Pierce your sweet potato all over.  Place in tin foil, bake for 45 minutes.  Uncover aluminum foil and place the sweet potato back in the oven for five or so more minutes.

Take the potato out, cut in half, mix your coconut milk in your potato so it's a little bit like a mash, and top with remaining ingredients.

I promise my next post will not be in two weeks!  

No comments: