Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Put the lime in the coconut?

Everyone else enjoying their long weekend?

I hope so.  Today was an absolutely gorgeous day.  This morning when my mom and I left for Jean-Talon Marcher it looked like it was going to pour, and thankfully by the time we left the sky was gorgeous, the air was crisp, and the wind was warm.  I was so excited for the rest of the day.  We came home and I immediately hit the kitchen.

I started chopping radishes, grating carrots, cleaning the fridge, moving containers around, etc... I then decided I wanted to make kale chips as I was craving some crunch... but unfortunately that is not what I got... no, not even close.  Some of them were crunchy yes, but... I definitely did not rinse them off enough after I washed them and well it looked like a swamp on my baking sheet, yuck.  I didn't even think of trying out the crispy ones to see if the flavour was good I just threw them out... I'm kind of regretting that now as I really want to know how they tasted.  I decided to do an Asian flavoured chip... so I will have to try it again this week once I get another bunch of kale, which will probably be tomorrow as my mom and I want to return to the marcher.

After my kitchen-work I biked for twenty minutes, I really wasn't feeling it today.  On another note, I really wish I had a speedometer for my bike since I bike in my living room but I'm at a constant speed and I don't stop at all (i.e. downhill) for 20 minutes and don't have a clue as to how "far" I am actually going.  After I did my work out I went to go get ready for the day, then I started my day off in sort of a gluttony way.

Last night I made some of the most amazing muffins ever.  I've been craving muffins so much lately and unfortunately I didn't have my muffin pan in Montreal until last night (since yesterday the accountant from Toronto her husband came to visit so my mom's boyfriend dropped off more of my baking supplies at their house)!  Needless to say I was incredibly, incredibly happy.  I had been eying a coconut muffin recipe for about two months now and until last night I hadn't made it.

Well let me just say, these muffins are going to kill me.  I love them so much.  I had three this morning.  Seriously I felt like such a glutton, but it was so worth it, I love them, even my mom has snuck a few into her stomach ;)

Very Coco-Nutty Muffins

Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup spelt flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed
  • 1 cup light coconut milk
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, lightly toasted + more for sprinkling on top
  • 1 tsp vanilla (or coconut extract)
Directions:

In a large bowl, whisk together the spelt flour/whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl, combine the banana, maple syrup, grapeseed oil, and coconut.

Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir just to combine.  Fold in the coconut flakes. Spoon the mixture into a muffin pan lined with muffin cups and garnish with more coconut, if desired.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Store muffins in an air-tight container at room temperature.


After chowing down on three delicious, moist, coco-amazing muffins I made an amaziiiiiing breakfast.  Oh my goodness, I seriously thought I was going to die.  I didn't think my breakfast was going to trump my muffins but oh boy... between the two I don't know which was better.
Banana Split Overnight Oats


Recipe inspired from here


 
Holy moly... this was sooooooo good.  My mom who usually doesn't comment on the looks of my food even said it looked delicious,  yes, it looked gorgeous and tasted a million times better.


I started with my overnight oats:


Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp coconut cream
  • Dash of sea salt
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:


Mix all ingredients together, cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit overnight in fridge or for at least two hours.


Next I chopped a banana in half.  Added my oats on top of the banana.  Added raspberry jam.  Then dumped a gigantic dollop of peanut butter, and added flaked coconut.


This was coco-nutty, jammy, and full of delicious peanut butter.  It seriously was one of the most perfect breakfasts' ever.  This is why I love weekends, they always seem to bring the most memorable breakfasts'.  This is just as easy to make during the week, but on the weekend I can actually sit to really savour and take in my meal and this was so freakin' good!


My mom and I then headed out to do some shopping!  Oh, I definitely spent money, but the clothes I bought were so beautiful I can't wait to wear them!  At 2:30 pm, we then headed to get facials.  My face feels like a babies bottom, I love it.  I had never gotten a facial done before and boy was it wonderful.  I love the way my skin feels... how it looks however, not so much.  I have red spots all over, but... the softness, ahhhh!


By the time we came home I was starving... I decided I wanted to put more flavours of the tropic into my diet... I already started off with so much why not add a little bit more?  Oh I did, and oh I loved it.  My mother was quite impressed.


Tropical Fruit Salsa

Recipe inspired from here


I've never been much of a fan of salsa... but when I recently came across for a salsa with fruits I couldn't pass it up, especially when it were fruits that I consume into my diet each and everyday.


I loved this salsa.  It was refreshing.  It was tropical.  It was filling (also because I made ginger terriyaki tofu), but it was wonderful.  This really was a good match to go with the salsa.  I loved this and will be making this again.  This would be wonderful with cinnamon sugar pita chips, oh... I may just have to do that sometime soon =D!


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
  • 1 banana, peeled and cut into small pieces
  • 1 mango
  • Flaked coconut - to taste
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 lime, juice
  • 1 handful cilantro, chopped
Directions:

Mix everything, serve and gobble away.

How was your Saturday?  Did you check out your local Farmer's Market?

No comments: