Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Cause tonight I'm loving you.

Last night I slept! Yes, I slept for a whole five hours, it was wonderful! I even slept in for an extra seven minutes. I debated whether or not I should do my work out and continue to sleep in or bring my gear and do it at work. I decided not to be lazy though, jumped out of bed, flicked on the light switch, did another dance in spot debating once again whether I should do my work out. I snapped out, pulled off my pj's, and hopped into my gear. Once I started I was happy. I got ready, cleaned my room, yes at 5:30 am I cleaned my room, got all my stuff for work ready and grabbed my blender on my way up to the kitchen.

Once I hit the kitchen I started to drool. I decided last night what kind of smoothie I was going to make and couldn't wait to make it this morning. Oh, it was good. I've been craving a little matcha lately, and since I didn't have any of those scrumptious Green Tea Almond Thumbprint Cookies on hand, I figured I could make a smoothie with similar ingredients, and so I did. This was an insanely delicious smoothie, definitely one of my new favourites. I took a huge gulp then somehow managed to save the remaining smoothie for when I got to work an hour later! It was so worth it, oh it was perfect, I will definitely be making this again!

Minty Ginger Banana Matcha Smoothie

Recipe by me

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 5-6 mint leaves
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp matcha powder
  • 1 frozen large banana
  • 3 ice cubes
Directions:

Blend all ingredients together, and enjoy.

Had my shake, and midway through the morning I opened up my container of dragon fruit. I did a little reading on dragon fruit while I was munching down. Dragon fruit sits on cactus-like trees. They are incredibly low in calories, approximately 60 calories, I mean, that's so little seeing as my container was filled to the brim, I couldn't finish it and finished it later in the day. They help to lower glucose levels which helps with Type 2 Diabetes, high anti-oxidant and vitamin C levels, and they are packed with fiber, delicious!

Finally it was lunch time. I couldn't wait for lunch! I had made this "salad" a couple of times prior to this just never blogged about it. It is a simple crab salad that takes literally less than two minutes to toss together and it results in pure satisfaction. The flavours are hit 100% on the head, you can eat them with crackers, nachos, wrapped in seaweed, or tossed with some seaweed, a top some lettuce, many possibilities, I love this salad!

In a Pinch Crab Salad

Recipe slightly changed from here

Ingredients:
  • 1 package shredded imitation crab meat
  • 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
  • Dash of:
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Garlic salt
  • Smoked paprika
Directions:

Toss all your ingredients into a bowl, and eat as desired!

Maple Apple Cheddar Melt - Vegan

Recipe slightly changed from here

I ate this salad with a simple yet delicious panini. I had also made this panini once before. I was glad when I had found this recipe, because I had tried making a version before seeing the recipe and it was good, but it was certainly not as good as this. Yes, I realize how weird this flavour pairing is, but it was really good. Ate the crab salad first, then finished off with a "dessert" type panini and it was awesome! I remember the first time I saw Jordan put cheddar cheese on his apple pie I seriously thought he was on crack... I mean cheese and apples, ew? This is why we should never judge a book by it's cover, this is an excellent pairing, especially with the warm cinnamon spice and sweet maple syrup oh this was decadent!

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, & sliced thin
  • Canola oil cooking spray
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • A few shakes of ground cinnamon
  • 2 slices Honey Banana Whole Wheat Bread
  • Vegan cheddar cheese to cover the sandwich bread

Directions:

Heat canola oil spray-coated nonstick pan over medium heat. Add apple slices & maple syrup and cook, stirring often, until the apples are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ground cinnamon.
Lay cheese slices on one piece of bread. Spoon apples over cheese and top with remaining piece of bread. Coat both sides of sandwich with canola oil cooking spray. Lower stove heat to medium-low. Add sandwich to skillet and cook until the bread is golden-brown and the cheese is melted, flipping halfway through, about 2-4 minutes total.

For my dessert I had three of the most delicious cookies. I told you guys yesterday I am hooked on vegan baking. I'm not sure how come, it may be the maple syrup. Before I started eating vegan baked goods, I seriously despised the taste of maple syrup. Honestly I found it to be way too sweet, but I believe I've become accustomed to be it, and I regularly seek out it's gorgeous taste. These cookies are so fabulous, loaded with fibre, crunchy, a hint of dark chocolate from the carob chips, sweetness from the maple syrup. They were just delicious. I made them around the time I made the Homemade Oreo's since it just wouldn't be fair to me to have no treat on Valentine's day! I'm kind of embarassed how many I first ate when I made these... like, it became sort of a problem, they were just so fantastic. These are peaking the top of my lists for favourites, and will certainly make these again.

Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe adapted from here

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups oat flour (I ground up Scottish oats)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed meal
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup carob chips
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together flax meal and almond milk. Add sugar, oil and vanilla extract and whisk vigorously until all ingredients are emulsified (for about a minute). Mix wet ingredients into dry, fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.


Drop batter by the tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheet, leaving and 1 1/2 inches of space inbetween cookies.

Bake for 10 -12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes. Using a spatula, put them on a cooling rack or plate to cool the rest of the way. Store in air-tight containers.

Sweet Potato Chickpea Patties

Recipe adapted from here

For dinner I kept it pretty simple. I had a plate of vegetables with two Sweet Potato Chickpea Patties. Now, in the past I've made Chickpea Cakes and although not being a fan the day of, but thoroughly enjoying the next day, these were nothing like that. They were good on day 1, 2 and three 3! I loved these, and they were so simple to toss together. They had a nice little spice from the smoked paprika with a sweet and savoury bite from the sweet potatos, and a bit of a crunch since I left some of the chickpeas unmashed. This is definitely a nice twist from a regular crab/salmon burger and will be sure to make again.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound sweet potatoes
  • 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp mint, chopped
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • Cooking spray
Directions:

Cook the potatoes: cover with water, and simmer until soft, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile make the chutney (below). Drain the potatoes once soft, and set aside to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, put the chickpeas, cooked potatoes, garlic, mint, olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mash until fairly smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Form patties (scant 1/4 cup filling per patty), flattening between palms. It’s easy enough to form the patties as you need them for frying, plopping them on the hot skillet as you make them.

Spray cooking oil on a skillet, and warm over medium heat. When the oil is hot cook the patties for a few minutes on each side. Be careful when flipping, though the crispy skin holds them together, they are definitely softer patties. If you don’t over-crowd your pan you should have no problems flipping!

Makes 12 cutlets

No comments: