Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Oreo cookies for your Valentine.

Homemade Oreo Cookies

Recipe adapted from here

Growing up I was never a fan of the Oreo. *Gasp, *Shutter, *Shriek, *Runs in horror, yeah yeah. Remember: does not drool over chocolate. White Oreo cookies however, I bow down. I love love love them, they remind me of the Girl Guide Cookies we used to be able to get when we were younger.

Last year however, as I was perusing through my Martha Stewart Cookies book I came across a recipe for homemade Oreo cookies. Regardless of me not enjoying them, I knew they were always a hit with my brother, amongst others. This year, I decided I for Valentine's day I would make only one dessert. I decided on one, because... lets just keep it simple that I've never been much a fan of Valentine's day. This year is especially is certainly like no other, and I'm just going to keep it at that for now.

So, I decided to make some Oreo cookies. Everybody likes those, well, the majority at least, you can shape them into cutesy heart shapes and you can make the filling a beautiful hue of red, pink and white, or any other desired colours, garnish them with sprinkles, etc.

These cookies were definitely fantastic. I kept it at a bare minimum of consumption despite the amazingness of these cookies. To be completely honest with you, these are one of my favourite cookies I've ever baked, as I mentioned the other day though, butter is giving me the heebs. So... that is why I limited it to the bare bare minimum, which was insanely difficult because they really were scrumptious. I would definitely recommend making these bad boys because they are sure to strike a huge smile on the recipients (or your) face.

This is your typical Oreo cookie with a hit of caramel flavour from the Rolo hot chocolate mix, deeeelish - which is probably why I actually enjoyed these :).

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/4 cup Rolo hot chocolate mix
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
Oreo filling:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Red food colouring
  • Pink food colouring
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375.

To make the cookies, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat well.

Mix together the dry ingredients thoroughly (getting rid of all big lumps of cocoa powder). Add dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture and beat until just smooth.

Roll dough into a large ball and set to chill in the fridge for half an hour.

After the dough has chilled, scoop out very small balls of dough (about a teaspoon's worth) and flatten gently on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes and then let cool completely on baking sheet. The cookies will harden as they cool.

To make the filling, beat the butter. Add the confectioner's sugar and extracts (I divided the icing into three bowls, for red, white, and pink) and continue to beat for about six more minutes until light. Scoop filling into a plastic bag or pastry bag (with a very small tip) and pipe a small amount between cookies. Sandwich cookies together.

How are you spending your Valentine's Day?


No comments: