Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Anniversary + Sea Scallops with Spiced Bacon + Red Quinoa with White Wine + Edamame and Tomato Salad

HAPPY NEW YEAR MY FOLLOWERS + FELLOW BLOGGERS OUT THERE!
I hope you guys had an absolutely fantastic New Years Eve, I will tell you all about
mine, but not in this post. In this post I want to talk about something that was very
special as well.


The other day, December 29th was Jordan and I’s fifth year anniversary. Feels like forever, not
saying that in a bad way at all, I’m glad it feels like for because there is comfort. I mean… when
you start off in a relationship you try so hard to say the right things, remember everything about
your partner, and try to remember absolutely everything you’ve done together,your first date,
your first kiss, the first time you met his or her family etc…with this comes remembering your
anniversary. But, as bad as this sounds, we BOTH forgot it was our anniversary. Heck we hadn’t
seen each other in quite while then we were cuddling and all of a sudden I was like “ummm… is
our anniversary in December or January?” “What’s the date today?” “The 29th.” “Happy
anniversary!”

Haha I mean some people may see that as we don’t care, but I don’t. It was probably the best anniversary we’ve ever shared. Nothing was expected so there was nothing to be let down about if something didn’t go as planned.

It was a great day. We spent a lot of time cuddling on the couch. We then watched Tim Burton’s movie “9” which really was a fantastic movie. Then I made him a meal I wouldn’t regularly make, but I figured it was a special day. Heck, five years I mean that's cause for celebration and for something nice. I had bought scallops not too long ago because I wanted to make a dish that I found not too long ago (which you will soon see). I decided that I wanted to make him bacon wrapped scallops, on many occasions Jor has mentioned that I never cook meat for him... I thought that this would be a nice meal for that.

I know that bacon wrapped scallops are incredibly easy to make but I still went online to look at some flavour combinations. Needless to say I ended up finding a recipe that is right up my alley in the taste department. I found a recipe that included dark brown sugar, cayenne pepper and curry powder. I mean can you say heeelllloooo? I know I can and I don't even eat bacon.

This was incredibly easy to make. I had never made them before but incredibly simple. The aroma given off from the ingredients were incredible, I mean... It was so incredible that I seriously considered for a minute to take a bite of one and I mean that would be throwing away almost eight years of red meat celibacy for this mouth-watering treat. Jordan absolutely loved it. He said the spice with the sweetness was so awesome! I mean he even let off a little "mmmmm..." and those don't come that often, not that the meals I cook for him aren't good, its just he doesn't show it often.

I would have to say this was definitely a winner meal. Awesome results, barely any preparation time needed, incredibly easy to make and very satisfied recipients. While making this I definitely thought this would make perfect appetizers for a dinner party and they have a very sophisticated flavour combination instead of the regular bacon wrapped scallops that you usually see that are simply cooked together.

This meal was served with red quinoa infused with white wine and an edamame tomato salad. It was an excellent night; we finished by watching "Despicable Me", where he fell asleep after about thirty minutes. Shut it off and went to sleep peacefully. We really did have fun :)!

Sea Scallops with Spiced Bacon

Recipe taken from here


Ingredients:
  • 6 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 14 bacon slices
  • 14 large sea scallops
Directions:

Stir together brown sugar, curry powder, and cayenne in a bowl until combined well.

Cook bacon in 2 batches in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until some fat has rendered and edges begin to brown but bacon is still flexible, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain and cool.

Preheat broiler and lightly oil top rack of a broiler pan (do not line with foil).

Cut bacon slices in half crosswise. Divide sugar mixture among slices, spreading evenly and lightly pressing to help it adhere. Place 1 scallop half, cut side down, on each slice of sugar-coated bacon, then wrap bacon around scallop and secure with a toothpick. Transfer to oiled rack of a broiler pan.

Broil scallops, bacon side down, 4 to 5 inches from heat, turning over once, until bacon is browned and scallops are opaque, about 6 minutes total. Serve immediately.

Red Quinoa with White Wine

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup red quinoa
  • 2/6 cup water
  • 1/4 cup white wine

Directions:

Place all ingredients in rice cooker, and let the magic happen.

Edamame and Tomato Salad

  • Handful of cherry Tomatoes
  • 1/8 red onion cut very thinly
  • 1/2 cup of edamame
  • A couple sugar snap peas
  • Couple pieces yellow pepper
  • EVOO

Directions:

Mix all of your ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle with EVOO. Serve!

Tropical Bread

I hate to do this to you... but, I came up with the most delicious... I liked to call it bread/loaf Jordan kept calling it CAKE... I don't think it was cake. It was honestly, the most amazing thing I've eaten in a long time (dessert-wise), and unfortunately, I will not be posting it. I mean, I love sharing my recipes, and sharing pictures and everything with you wonderful people, but somethings just need to be kept secret, especially because one day I do plan on writing a recipe book. All I have to say is, in the future keep your eyes posted for this book because this recipe is suuuuuure to please.

This is Jordan enjoying his dessert, unfortunately you can't see the mess of cocoa he had on his nose :( Needless to say he did enjoy it :)

Hope you guys enjoyed a nice day too.

No comments: