Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Compost Cookies

Hello and welcome back from Christmas! Hoping you all got everything you wished for, got to spend your Christmas with your loved ones without any drama or heartaches and had your bellies full of food!

My Christmas Eve (i.e. Christmas with my mom) turned out to be good. We went down to Barrie to the restaurant I had posted before. Unfortunately they didn't have any sea bass so my meal bad to be switched since I don't eat any other meat. I ended up having a big chunk of salmon. It was alright at best, incredibly salty, brother said the chef was Polish and they loooove to use salt. I could definitely see that, even the sushi that came with the meal was salty... kind of confused me. My mom, her boyfriend, and my brother absolutely devoured their meals. Then the dessert came and oi... I definitely could of done better with my eyes closed, their specialty is certainly not their desserts and seafood. The meat dishes really did look delicious however.

*Note: the presentation of my dish was absolutely stunning, unfortunately due to the lighting pictures didn't come out :(

We then went home and opened our gifts. Woke up in the morning, and I made blueberry pancakes with a side of fruit. We stayed with my mom until about 12, where the remaining of the time we watched Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives... I love Guy, and I love that show!

We headed over to my dads. Opened our gifts, watched The Town, my cousin came over so we talked, they all did Tequila shots, gross, and then they play PlayStation 3. After a little bit we headed over to my dad's girlfriends... watched a really boring dog competition... then had dinner, dessert, opened gifts. It was nice, had a lot of laughs and shared many stories, it really was a great two days.

Recipe adapted from here

I have seen many varieties of cookies for Compost Cookies. I like the concept of behind this cookie because it allows you to get rid of your remnants in the cupboard. For me this included a lot of random things. However, the outcome of these cookies were absolutely divine. I can't even tell you how many I had, but all I know is every bite hid a little gem that another bite may not of had. I liked that these cookies didn't fluff up, and were thin. I find I always have a difficult time making thin cookies, I'm not sure why, but I found these cookies to be so beautiful especially due to their thinness! I would definitely make this cookie again, because it is at your discretion as to what you want to throw in, just like every cookie basically, however, the idea behind this cookie is simply that! Great cookie, great recipe, great outcome, would definitely make again.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 heaping tbsp Rolo hot chocolate mix
  • 1 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
  • 1/4 cup milk chocolate
  • 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1/4 cup dessicated unsweetened coconut
  • 1 cup Life brand cereal, chopped
  • 2 tbsp caramel sauce
  • 3 small boxes of raisins
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions: In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugars, and corn syrup on medium-high until fluffy and pale yellow in color, about 2-3 minutes.

On a lower speed, add eggs one at a time and coconut extract until well incorporated. Increase mixing speed to high and let it go for 10 minutes -- the mixture will become really pale and will almost double in size

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt

When 10 minutes are up, add flour mixture slowly until just combined, about 45-60 seconds. Chop up and mix together all of your baking and snack ingredients in a small bowl, and fold into batter with a spatula until just incorporated.

Using a medium-sized ice cream scoop, portion cookie dough on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and wrap the entire thing tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 1 week.

Heat oven to 400F and arrange cookies on cookie sheets at least 4" apart. Bake 9-11 minutes, until they are golden in color and slightly brown along the edges.

Cool the cookies completely on the sheet pan (or just eat them immediately...)

Recipe yields 15 large cookies

Enjoy :)

No comments: