Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Fig and Banana Smoothie + Chocolate Spice Cake with Figs + Fig, Blueberry and Grape Cake

These three recipes are the last of my fig recipes. I seriously became addicted to figs this season, so delicious and I love the crunch that they give! I decided to buy myself a bag of dried figs for when figs are out of season, and they work like a charm. They remind me of dates, and let me tell you, dates are definitely one of my favourite favourite snack items. Ahhhh.

Before I get started though, I just want to show a quick picture of these fig-bran muffins I had made. Unfortunately I cannot find the recipe anywhere and it's really getting under my skin because these were divine! If I do ever find them I will have to have to post them because yum-a-licious! But I mean, I'm a little biased because bran to me is like chocolate to some. I love the flavour it's so hearty and just packed with flavour and it's so so healthy!

Well anywho, I have a recipe for a quick and simple breakfast, afternoon snack, pre-work out, treat yourself, anytime smoothie. Fig and banana, ahhhh! Now that I think of it, adding raspberries into the mix would be sooo good, oh my goodness! Anywho onto this great mix!

Fig and Banana Smoothie

Ingredients:
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 1/2 figs
  • 6 tbsp of vanilla fortified soy milk
  • 1 tbsp honey/agave nectar
Directions:

Give it a toss in the blender. Blend until well incorporated. Pour and serve.

Chocolate Spice Cake with Figs

Recipe taken from here

*May not be the prettiest looking thing, but what it lacks in aesthetics makes up for in flavour!

Before I start with this recipe I just want to say... no one in my house enjoys figs. I'm really not sure why, especially considering my mom loves dates and I really do find they have the same texture/consistency maybe I'm just nuts... or maybe she is, who knows. Anyways, I was the only one in the house to even try this cake since oh noooo there's figs in it, regardless, this bad boy was gone in four days. I couldn't stop. The blueberry and the fig, (just like my frozen yoghurt) is such a beautiful combination, it makes such a lasting impression in your mouth and is just... you have to taste it to experience what I'm talking about.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp hot water
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp oil
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 8 fresh figs
Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9” square cake pan with oil and parchment, leaving an overhang on two sides to make removing the baked cake a bit easier.

Slice off the bottoms of the figs and then slice them in half. Set aside.

Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
Whisk the cocoa and hot water together until thoroughly blended and smooth.
Combine buttermilk and vanilla.

Whisk together the oil and the sugars. Add the eggs and blend well. Whisk in the cocoa mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until well blended. Pour into the prepared pan and gently tap the bottom of the pan on the work surface to remove any air bubbles. Submerge the fig halves into the cake.

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick tests with a few moist crumbs adhering. Cool 10 minutes. Run a thin bladed knife around the edges and gently lift out the cake. Cool completely.

Fig, Blueberry and Grape Cake


Recipe taken from here

I saved the best recipe of this for last. This was simply divine. Again, me being the only one to eat this bad boy, I had it completely gone within two days. I think what really made this cake so divine was the orange zest in the sugar. The flavours it picked up was absolutely divine. Oh my goodness. This cake/loaf was so moist and packed with flavour from all the fruits. The only thing is, if you are to make this cake because there is fresh fruit in it you need to eat it up quickly since I find it goes bad quickly, so either keep it in the fridge or gobble it down, that shouldn't be a problem though right? ;)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 orange zested
  • 3/4 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 10 figs halved
  • 1 handful of purple grapes
  • 1 pint blueberries

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350° and butter an 8-inch square baking dish (or one with an equivelent volume).

In a small bowl rub the orange zest and sugar together and set aside. This will bring out the oils in the zest and perfume your cake. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients and set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed, about 3 minutes until light.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each. Add the vanilla and mix in well.

Reduce the mixer and add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately, the flour in 3 parts and the buttermilk in 2.

You will end up with a think batter. With a rubber spatula spread it evenly in the pan.

Add the fruit decoratively over the batter.

Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until it is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.

Take a seat and dig in!

No comments: