Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Hallowe'en Pinwheel Cookies + Hallowe'en Checkerboard Cookies

Hello all who read my blog,
I miss updating, I cannot wait to get my computer back. I have however been baking up a storm and have uploaded my pictures onto the house desktop. I thought I would post this recipe since making these cookies was just so much fun! I know it's still a little early to start baking for holidays, however, since I start my apprenticeship October 4th and will be working insane hours, and am also trying to pick up a part-time job I'm afraid I won't have as much time to bake when Hallowe'en arrives. With that being said... the other night as I was trying to fall asleep my mind was wandering as to what I could bake. I got the idea to make some Hallowe'en cookies. I had bought black and orange sprinkles last year after Hallowe'en and never got a chance to use them and I wanted to put them to good use this year. This is what I came up with. It's nothing special, I mean, it's just chocolate and vanilla sugar cookie dough (which to me IS special since I love sugar cookies), but it's nothing insanely complex. The look of it however is so cool! Really, I get mesmerized just looking at them. They really were a lot of fun to make and the outcome was so worth the time that these took to make! I think I'm going to make these at Christmas too with red and green and give them as gifts, what do you think?
When I was staying at my dad's girlfriends place house sitting I had attempted to make checkerboard cookies but failed miserably. The dough was so insanely crumbly and just fell to pieces, I ended up turning them into these really ugly mishapen balls. They tasted good, but definitely were not what I was looking for. I'm not sure if I even took the appropriate dough recipe. This time however, I used a checkerboard recipe for certain and it worked out great. The chocolate dough was a little more difficult to work with, I think less flour is needed in the chocolate dough since you're adding the cocoa but it turned out great nonetheless!
This was a lot of fun to make. It took me an insanely long time to do, I had to keep running up and down the stairs because I forgot how many colours of what I needed, and which colours formed what... I just made it more complicated for myself, but really these were so simple to make. Not only that they are so stunning. I know whoever you give these two, no matter what age will be impressed just as equally. These are definitely great to give as gifts they're eye catching and they taste amazing! I used this recipe for both my pinwheels and the checkerboard recipe. The only thing different of course is that for the pinwheel is that I made them as you would a cinnamon bun for instance, rolled the outside in egg wash then dipped them in sprinkles, doesn't get easier than that... unless of course you're buying Pillsbury ;). So here we go!

Recipe taken from here

Note: for some reason this computer isn't allowing me to copy and paste, so I will do so when I receive my computer!

Now this year, don't bother buying the Pillsbury Hallowe'en sugar cookie in a can, and try your hand at these beauties!

2 comments:

Angry Asian said...

hello, these are great cookies, i made them from baking obsession two xmases ago and i love them. they're great to make beforehand and keep in freezer, until you have that inkling for something sweet! great job on yours.

Lan of Angry Asian Creations and Kitchen Doorknobs

Samantha said...

Yeah, these cookies are really great to keep in the freezer. I always seem to have sugar cookies in my freezer for when I'm craving something sweet but not too sweet. Thanks for the comment!