Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Caramelized Onion Risotto + Carpaccio of Raw Zucchini


Recipe taken from here and Tyler Florence's Recipe from the Food Network

Growing up in an Italian house it's strange that Risotto was never made. I mean it might of been made once or twice, but I do not recall ever having it. My first memory of Risotto was two years when my mom started buying these boxes of organic Risotto. This is when and where I fell in-love with the warm comfort of this Italian dish. I love it because just like rice, the possibilities are endless. You can mix fruits in, as with my vanilla and nutmeg Risotto with fresh berries, Caramelized Onion Risotto you can mix countless spices, vegetables, stocks, wines, etc... People fear making Risotto since you have to stand over it and watch it, but honestly, it is one of the simplest meals to make in my opinion. I have never had a problem with it. Even if you fear the stove-top method, you can always bake it in the oven which turns out well as well.

I found this recipe for caramelized onion Risotto and knew right away this was going to be on the menu for the week. It reminded me of French onion soup, and since it hasn't been the warmest around here, ESPECIALLY for July, I mean it's 20 degrees Celsius right now, come on Mother Nature! What better reason to make a
Carpaccio of Raw Zucchini warm comfort than it being as if it's winter out?

I loved this meal, it was so simple to make, and the flavours were just brilliant. As I said, it really did remind me of French onion soup, which I love.

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 1/2 cups Arborio (risotto) rice
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 7 cups vegetable broth, heated
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Fresh herbs (optional)

Directions:

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until onion is soft and caramelized. Add rice and stir to combine. Let cook for another minute. Add white wine and let reduce almost all of the way. Reduce heat to medium low. Begin adding vegetable broth a cup at a time. Add more broth as each cup is absorbed. Continue until rice is al dente (you might not use all 7 cups). Season with salt, pepper, and any herbs. Caramelized Onion Risotto

When I started cooking, one of the first recipe's I had ever saved was the recipe for the carpaccio of raw zucchini. I have had this recipe sitting in my folder for almost two years now, and have never tried it. I think however it's because whenever we buy Ricotta for the house it's always for Manicotti and the whole tub get's used up. This time however, the bf had given me his leftover Ricotta because he didn't know what else to make with it, so I knew that this was my opportunity, also because I had a few zucchini's sitting around the house! I loved it. I was skeptical at first to be honest, because I never realized the zucchini wasn't going to be cooked. I've never had raw zucchini before. To my delight, it was exceptionally tasty even without it being nice, warm, and crisp. This was a light and flavourful meal perfect for those summer
Carpaccio of Raw Zucchini nights where you don't want the oven on
because it's too warm.

Ingredients:
  • 2 zucchini (about 1 ½ pounds total), sliced into paper-thin rounds
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ lemon, juiced
  • 3 green onion stalks
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, I used parsley, cilantro, and dill
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • Fresh mint leaves, for garnish, optional

Directions:

Shingle the zucchini slices in a single overlapping layer on a platter. Dust with salt and pepper, then drizzle with a 3-count of olive oil and the lemon juice. Put that into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to give the flavors a chance to get into the zucchini. Now scatter the leeks over. Sprinkle with the herbs. Garnish garnish with the ricotta cheese and mint leaves, if using; serve.

Enjoy

No comments: