Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Vegetarian Summer Rolls


Recipe adapted from http://foodrepublik.com/summer-rolls/

As mentioned earlier, I made a healthy appetizer for the bf to go along with his macaroni salad with tomatoes and black olives. This is what I chose. Ever since I have started eating Vietnamese food I have been in love with their rice paper rolls. They're light, but at the same time extremely filling. I had coconut curry in my fridge, and I thought, wow those would be absolutely amazing in rice rolls, so, I decided to get my butt off the computer and take a walk to the grocery store and pick up the ingredients. Sometimes it's bad to be such an impulsive person, but I think when it comes to food there is less... bad-ness involved with it. I mean, if it weren't for my impulses to try new stuff I never would have started a blog, and with that I probably wouldn't of tried out a lot of the foods that I have been lately. Having a blog, even for such a short amount of time has made me want to try new food, I mean, when you have a blog you don't want to always post the same foods, or the same groups of food, i.e. just food with pasta or what not. You want variety, and I think in this short amount of time, I have already accomplished that.
I didn't really change any of the ingredients for these rolls, however, I did omit some, so I will post the ingredients. Just like other entries I have posted, if you want the recipe check out the above link :)

Ingredients:
  • 10 sheets of 8-inch rice paper wrappers
  • 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into pieces
  • 1 cup julienned carrots
  • 1 cup julienned daikon radish our grocery store didn't sell these, so I just omitted them
  • ¼ cup white rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 4 pieces pressed firm tofu had coconut curry flavoured tofu, used that, and it was incredible
  • Extra greens decided to keep it simple, because it is my first time attempting at making these, didn't want to over stuff just in case I had trouble rolling them
* As a side note, on the blog where I got this recipe from, it is mentioned to take a damp cloth and moisten the rice paper. I had such problems with this, I thought "oh yeah, they're ready..." thankfully I only made one before trying it that way. I thought I was going to break my teeth eating that. Since they were so hard, I put a plate on the bottom of our sink with a bit of warm water on it. I then laid the rice paper in the water, and made sure I got all the edges wet. Within seconds the rice paper softened. I then laid a dish towel down and dried them up after eat plate/water trick.

I did make the peanut sauce to go along with the rolls, but in all honesty, I really didn't care for it, and the bf who eats pretty much anything wasn't a fan of it either. He did eat it with his, but he did so just because he really is a sauce person. The measurements, I'm not sure if they were off or what happened, but there was just way too much peanut sauce. Everything else in the recipe was amazing though, I mean those rolls, you've got to try them for yourself and see what I mean. You could also save a ton of money if you go out for Vietnamese and order them. For a pack of 30 rice papers or so it was $2.39, I mean c'mon you cannot go wrong with that!

If you want to be adventurous try this, you won't regret it.

Enjoy :)

No comments: