Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

You think this is genius?

Confession time.  Ever since I started buying pineapple, I've had a bit of a problem.  I always cut the whole pineapple, and well eat it in one sitting.  I mean, it's not that it's entirely a bad thing, it's not as if it's a whole bag of potato chips, or a tub of ice cream, or even mounds and mounds of cake slices (as I used to do all of these previously), but it's still a lot of pineapple for one sitting.

When I moved back home from Montreal, and then my trip to Korea in the middle of October I realized that this was getting far out of hand.  I don't know how many pineapples I was eating while I was in Korea, but they were not cheap, and I feel like I was walking to the grocery store a lot to just pick up pineapple, (I even had my ex stopping by after work to pick some up for me), yup, it was getting out of control.

By the time I returned, I decided that I couldn't cut my pineapples up in one go, I'd have to cut them as I need it, so I can portion control and see how much of the pineapple I'm actually eating.  So far, this has been a great tool.  I cut the crazy green leafy part off, and then just cut layers off as I go.  Now a days, pineapple lasts' for a good four to five days, depending how long I'm willing to keep it around for.  With all that being said, it is difficult for me to keep pineapple in the house.  When I find recipes that include pineapple, I need to make sure that I make those recipes at the beginning of the week or else I probably won't have much luck creating that recipe.

Prime example, this mornings breakfast.  Now, I originally saw this recipe a few weeks ago, and I had planned on making it the following day, however the day I saw the recipe I ate the remaining pineapple chunks.  So, I planned on making it the following week, well, the following week turned into almost three weeks.  This morning, I finally was able to go through with it, and holy moly, it was worth saving some pineapple to make this breakfast/snack/dessert, whatever you want to call it, it is amazing!

As said, in yesterday's post, as well as other numerous posts', pancakes have an incredibly special place in my heart.  That in combination with some of my ever-so favourite fruit is something that I just melt at. Tropical pancake battered pineapple.  OOOOHHHHH MYYYYYY GOSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!!  I can't even begin to tell you how happy I was.  This was one of the most amazing ways to start my day, and definitely got me in the mood to go to the gym.  Now, I have to admit, these were a little timely.  I mean, I did cut up some additional fruit while preparing these, as well as cleaning along the way, but I started at 9:35 am and didn't start eating until 10:05 am, and I was not dilly dallying either.  The process seemed a bit longer than usual when it comes to making pancakes, but the result was so worth the time.  These were incredible.  I changed the recipe up a bit, as I didn't use coconut milk because I wanted to finish up my almond milk before opening up another carton, and I wanted to make it with what I was craving.  They turned out spectacular, and are an amazing twist on your regular old pancakes.  The thing with these guys too is that, because there is fruit encased, the pancake dough isn't too, too thick so you don't get that heavy feeling you sometimes get afterward when eating pancakes.

I would highly suggest trying this recipe.  It is incredibly versatile and who says you just have to stick to pineapple?  What about apples or pears?  Why not throw in some chocolate chips or whatever else you're fancying?  Try it, get creative, you will be thrilled by the final result!

Tropical Pancake Battered Pineapple Rings


Recipe adapted from here



Ingredients:
  • 1 pineapple, sliced into rings about 1/2 inch thick
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tbsp mulled flaxseed + 3 tbsp water (or an egg)
  • 1/2 tsp coconut extract
  • 1 1/2 tbsp coconut flakes
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 cup almond milk
Directions:


Heat pancake griddle or skillet on medium heat.

Combine all ingredients (except) pineapple in a medium bowl and whisk together.  Add milk as needed to get a good "drippy" consistency.  You want it to be able to stick to the pineapple but still allow the excess to drip off.

Once griddle is heated, grease and dip one slice of pineapple into the batter and then place on the griddle.

Cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip.  You might want to sear the sides too depending on how thick your slices are.  Repeat for remaining slices.

Serve immediately, top with fresh mango chunks, almond slivers, coconut flakes, and amaretto agave nectar.

Have you ever tried pancake battered fruits?
Mmmmmm

No comments: