Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

To new beginnings.

Happy New Year my friends!

It's been far too long since I've posted, I know in my last post I said I wouldn't post on a regular basis, well, that's true, but I still want to use my blog as a place where I can let go when I want to be creative, other than the kitchen.

Seeing as today is January 1st, 2012, I thought it would be a good time to try and get back on track with certain things that I truly enjoy doing, and try making a habit out of it again.  However, before I start I figured I should discuss what my new years resolutions are.  Truthfully they are rather basic... but I think that's a good thing, because the easier they are the more likely I will keep them right?

Last year, well as of January 8th, when I actually set my resolution into stone I had decided that after battling certain things physically and psychologically that working out would be a great way to get back on track and be healthy again, and I kept that!  Other than when I was in Korea, because it was a little more difficult to work out (however I still did work out just not everyday) I've managed to work out almost every day (with rest days here and there).  I feel 95% better, sure I have my off days, but the way I feel about myself, and the strength physically and psychologically that has come with being fit and healthy is an amazing feeling, and I plan to continue keeping up with exercise.  Today was just like any other day, and I sweat my derriere off, and it felt great!

This year I want to add in a few new things on top of working out:
I want to take a picture every single day, just to sort of document my life.  My pictures aren't going to be specific, they are just going to be things that will allow me to sit back years from now, and be all "oooh yeah!".  If I like how my cat looks, well hey, that day will be easy, other days I'll plan on going out and looking for things, which will also allow me to explore my surroundings more.

I want to start eating healthier again.  I introduced fish back into my diet and have been eating fish on a fairly regular basis.  I hadn't planned on eating fish as regularly, but my body has been craving it, and I'm not going to deny it what it's feeling naturally.  However, I fell off the bandwagon for a bit, and started bingeing on not-so healthy foods i.e. chocolate covered raisins, ice cream, and pretzels.  It's not a bad thing, it's not like it's everyday, but it's enough to negate my work outs and to set back the way I want to feel and look.

This year I plan on trimming my stomach.  I know it's not a giant tub of goo, but when I look in the mirror I am not in-love with the way my stomach looks.  So, this comes in hand with the second resolution as eating healthier will definitely help with trimming down on the waistline.

Having an overall positive things towards things, regardless if things go my way or not.  The glass will not be half empty, especially considering there is liquid and air in the glass, so it's not possible to be empty!

And of course, to try and show my face more around my blog because I really do miss writing, having my readers, and just sharing my trials with you all.

With that being said, there is one thing you need to know about me: I am a sucker for all things holiday or limited edition.  It doesn't matter if I'm a fan of the flavour or not, I have to get it, this is actually how I began to fall in love with mint/peppermint flavours, because of Christmas time.  Hallowe'en/Thanksgiving, all things pumpkin.  Valentine's Day, all things cinnamon, etc... when it comes to Christmas, of course the fall flavours are on my agenda, but egg nog... not so much, especially considering it's made with eggs, derp.

About a week and a half ago I went out to do some groceries and my eyes saw some holly on a bottle, and what-do-ya-know, my least favourite drink in the universe other than champagne was in the dairy aisle, and it was soy... oh boy.  To my... surprise, I actually kind of jumped, and clapped my hands together.  What?  I was excited for soy nog? ...errr... I'm not quite sure why, but then again, I do, it's my darn weakness to holiday flavours.  I picked it up.  I figured if worse comes to worse my best friend will drink it since he absolutely loves the nog, (well, that wouldn't work... I gave him a glass to try and he didn't enjoy it).

I'm not the type of person who goes to the fridge and picks out something to drink unless it's water or alcohol.  I have not had a glass of milk in probably three or four years.  I don't drink juice.  I don't drink pop.  I do however, and unfortunately drink Crystal Light... so that's as far as my palette get's to dance when it comes to the liquids department.  So, with that being said, I could use the remaining soy nog in a smoothie, or I could cook/bake with it.  Seeing as it's been quite a while since I've used my hands to get messy in the kitchen I figured why not look for a recipe that includes some of the nog.

At first I was going to make some soy nog bagels, then thought perhaps I'd make some pancakes, but I stumbled across a recipe for egg nog scones, with one of the funniest blog stories I've ever read and I just had to try out the recipe.  I'm sure glad I did because it was out of this world.  It took little time to make.  It didn't need butter, cream or eggs.  It took one bowl, one whisk, two sets of hands, and simple ingredients that I always have on hand.  Now, I'm really not keen on using granulated sugar, and I thought I'd cut it out, but I figured what they hey.  I liked the scones so much, that I decided I'd use up the rest of the nog in another batch, and freeze them, this time I'm going to however reduce the sugar because I did find them a bit too sweet, but so, so good!

These scones are light, and fluffy, and would definitely be perfect with a nice glass of warm Chai tea!  I highly suggest you make these scones, whether a fan of egg nog or not... also you need to check out the story attached to the recipe, hilarious!

Soy-nog and Cranberry Scones

Recipe taken from here



Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup AP flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 3/4 cup soy nog
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Whisk together your flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.  Next, whisk in the cranberries.

Add the nog and use your hands to gently bring together the ingredients.  If you need to add a bit more nog or flour then do so judiciously.  It will be sticky and clumpy.  Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead twice.

Form the dough into a disc and cut into 6-8 pieces.  Brush the tops with a bit more  soy nog.

Bakes for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.

Happy New Years again!
Hope you all celebrated a wonderful goodbye to 2011, and a great hello to 2012 :)

No comments: