Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Plain Bagels + Cinnamon Ginger Apple Cider Bread + Crystallized Ginger and Cinnamon Apple Cider Bagels + Apple Spring Rolls

Recipe taken from here

Time and time again I come across bagel recipes. Every recipe I find though just takes so long to make, three days really? I'm not that big of a fan of bagels that I'm willing to put three days of my time aside for a bagel, I mean it's been about eight years since I've had a bagel... that is until I found this recipe. This was one of the easiest recipes I've made since I've started baking. It was so simple and delivered such great results. These gave beautiful brown fluffy bagels. It reminded me of my youth, when my mom would take my brother and I to the Great Canadian Bagel and we would both order chocolate chip bagels and get them MICROWAVED, yes MICROWAVED. I've never been much of a "toasted" person before, and the microwave always gave such ooey-gooey buttery fluffy results. Unfortunately when I ate these bagels I toasted them so I didn't get to experience my fluffy child-hood memory but it reminded me of the warmth and happiness it brought me to. I am definitely keeping this recipe as my bagel go-to recipe. It's so simple I swear anyone who can read can make it. I was thinking I'm going to make a batch very soon and add cranberry, blueberries and orange zest to it, how awesome does that sound? Or a sea of raspberry and white chocolate. Or some lavender and sea salt? Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! I really wish I wasn't at work right now so I could go make some!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp quick yeast
  • 3/4 tbsp sugar
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 2 cups strong bread flour, plus extra for kneading
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Directions:

As I used mix-in quick yeast, I simply combined all the ingredients in a bowl. If you are using normal dry yeast, sprinkle the yeast and sugar into half the water and leave for five minutes before stirring and then adding to the rest. Pull all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon into a firm dough.

Tip out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and springy - about 10 minutes. Start to work in extra flour, adding as much as you can while still retaining a firm and smooth dough. Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a slightly damp tea towel and let rise for about an hour or until doubled in size. Punch down and leave to rest for 10 minutes.

Divide the dough into four equal pieces. Shape the pieces into a ball using your hands and rolling it along a surface, pressing down to get rid of air bubbles. Use a floured finger to make a hole in the middle of the ball, then use your fingers to widen it out to about 1/3 of the diameter of the whole bagel. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet to rest for ten minutes under a damp tea towel.

Preheat the oven to 425F. Fill a large pan with water and bring to the boil. Turn down to keep it at a strong simmer. Use a slatted spoon or similar to lower 1-2 bagels into the water. Boil for about a minute, turning halfway through. Remove, draining any excess water, to the baking sheet. When you have boiled them all, put them into the oven for about 20 minutes. They should be gorgeously golden. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes 4.


Cinnamon Ginger Apple Cider Bread

Recipe inspired from here, but really, created from me!

Since my mom's boyfriend bought apple cider but decided not to drink it I'm having to bake with it. I don't drink juice anymore, but I figure in baking it's not that big of a deal, I'm a weirdo I know.

A little while ago as I was perusing through one of my favourite blogs (never home) maker I came across a recipe for a lovely bread. Even though I really dislike the taste of beer, and it seriously makes me sick to my stomach I considered making this recipe since the alcohol would probably get cooked away and would just leave the nice aroma's behind. However, since I had a ton of apple cider sitting around I decided to switch this recipe around a bit... well a lot. The only thing that remained constant were the measurements.

This was an insanely easy easy bread to make, came out wonderful, smelt amazing and tasted even better. I read some comments from the blog that said it had a muffin-type consistency I didn't get that at all. It was a dense filling bread, but not in the sick to your stomach type dense. It was filling yes, but it was so good it kept me coming back for more. I gave a few pieces to my dad, mom's boyfriend ate one slice, and I embarrassingly ate the rest of the loaf that day. Carb craving much? I think so. I loved this so much, and still have some apple cider left so am considering what to make for the other loaf I am going to make!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 cups apple cider
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 or 9 inch bread pan.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together the bread flour, all-purpose flour, sea salt, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.

In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider and applesauce.

Using the paddle attachment, stir on low speed and slowly pour in the apple cider/applesauce mixture. Once combined, remove from bowl and knead with your hands until well incorporated. The dough should be somewhat sticky, not too dry. If it is too dry, consider adding a bit of water -- 1 tbsp at a time. If it's too wet, add a bit of flour. You want an elastic ball.

Put dough into bread pan and flatten just a bit to fill the pan.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then turn over onto a wire rack.

*Note: tasted excellent with out any butter or anything on it, but for a decadent snack it tasted even sweeter with butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top!

Crystallized Ginger and Cinnamon Apple Cider Bagels

Recipe from moi! However it is the same recipe as Plain Bagels, just different ingredients, so I will post the ingredients, but directions are the same as well!

The other recipe I decided to make with some of the apple cider was Crystallized Ginger and Cinnamon Apple Cider Bagels. I decided on this just because I have been craving a lot of breads lately, probably since I don't eat any store-bought so the only time I get it is when I make it, and it's been a while. I decided on bagels because I wouldn't have to eat them all at once, since I could freeze them and simply take them out on a day where I've got the bread craving again. I like this bagel recipe due entirely to it's simplicity and the fact that I could sub-in whatever ingredients I am looking for my bagel to have. I really do love this recipe, especially with the bread flour I have with grains in it, it adds a perfect crunch all around. This was fun to make and it delivered amazing results.

The ginger in the bagel not only adds a hot and refreshing presence but it adds a little sweetness from the sugar. This was certainly the most perfect addition to these bagels, because it's like a cinnamon raisin bagel with ginger instead. They really need to market this bagel, oh man. One had cracked in the stove so I took the liberty of eating it with just ten minutes into baking. It was so soft in the middle (it was cooked), and the crust it had formed was absolutely amazing. Oh my goodness, I should not of baked these, first the bread now the bagels, I'm doomed. Doomed I tell ya.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp quick yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm apple cider
  • 2 cups whole wheat bread flour, plus extra for kneading
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 tbsp crystallized ginger, finely chopped
Apple Spring Rolls

Recipe taken from here

Since we are on an "apple" theme, I thought that this would be the perfect post to write about this. I keep putting it off because I don't want to only post this, since the picture isn't very pretty but I still wanted to post it because it's an excellent recipe. I made this for a friend one day for breakfast. I didn't try any personally because I had already eaten a large breakfast, but from the way he devoured it and the aroma that came off these spring rolls I could definitely say it was a hit. The brown sugar, spices and butter melted beautifully creating a caramel-like sauce on the inside not making it necessary to have a sauce to go with it. I omitted this because I thought that the sauce would actually take away from the flavours of the spring roll, I can't say for sure since I didn't try but that was my thought process so that's what I ended up going with.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large tart apple, like granny smith
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp powdered cinnamon
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • 12 sheets of phyllo (you will be making 3 ‘stacks’ of 4 layers each)
  • Baking/olive oil spray or 1/4 cup melted butter

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Peel apple if you wish. Core and then cut the apple into 1/3 inch thick sticks. Toss apple sticks with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

To make the spring rolls, start with 4 phyllo sheets. Place one sheet on a work surface. Spray or brush butter on top of the phyllo sheet. Place another phyllo sheet on top. Spray or brush butter on this sheet. Repeat this for all 4 sheets. You now have a phyllo stack of 4 phyllo sheets. Cut this into 4 equal pieces (they will roughly be squares). Take one square, place apple sticks on it and fold into a spring roll. See detailed pictures and instructions above. Repeat for all phyllo squares.

Place the spring rolls in a buttered or oiled baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes or till the spring rolls are golden. Serve warm with brandy butterscotch sauce.

Note: You could also use spring roll wrappers instead of phyllo dough. Use 12 spring roll wrappers and leave out the baking spray/melted butter. Fold the spring roll according to the pictures and directions in this post. Dip your finger in water and go around the edges to seal the spring roll wrapper. Make sure all sides are well sealed. Deep fry in oil.

Enjoy!

No comments: