Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Smoothie's Anonymous is what I need.

Lately, I have been feeling so unmotivated with blogging.  It's not that I'm not wanting to blog anymore, it's just that my insomnia has been so crazy lately, that when I get home from work, I do my biking or weights (or I don't, which I'm not proud of), and then I rest, rest, and rest, but don't fall asleep.  I literally sit at the computer, listening to music; latest obsessions being Our Lady Peace, Rise Against, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers as I'd forgotten just how amazing these bands are until my friend put music on my hard-drive and my ears started crying of joy.  Nonetheless, the point of this is that my insomnia has been brutal lately, between thirty minutes to two hours of sleep a night, I'm feeling very zombie-ish and looking at trying some natural remedies, I've been using melatonin but... how I see it right now is placebo as it's not doing anything.  The next thing I want to try is valerian root, as I do not want to use prescribed sleeping aids as I've used them in the past and they were nothing but horrible.  I slept yes, but zombie was an understatement, and unfortunately they made me hallucinate, eek.

I know I've been slacking tremendously on my posting, and it does pain me as I really do love sitting on the couch at night and writing my posts, but I just haven't had the motivation to lately.  I've been making new and wonderful breakfasts' everyday, and even my pictures have sort of been slacking which makes me sad... but I guess when you get in slumps, you get in all around slumps and that's whats happening here.  The thing is, I want to get a couple of posts out to you guys this weekend, because... as of next Thursday I will not be readily available to the internet as I am going on vacation.  Where am I going on vacation you ask?  Korea.  I had mentioned it months back that I was going to Korea... but, well, I'd never written about it on here, but Jordan and I had broken up, and irrational me cancelled my ticket.  However, seeing as we are still very amicable, I thought it would still be fun to take a trip there.  I've always wanted to see Asia (Thailand being my number one), but having someone there makes it nice, especially someone who I feel so comfortable with.  I am looking very forward to this trip, as it is very much needed.

We finished shooting Blue Mountain State Season 3 two weeks ago, and it's not that it was a difficult show to work on by any means... but after working long hours everyday it gets tiresome very quickly, especially when you are not rejuvenating properly with sleep.  I found that by the end of the pilot we finished before this show I was so insanely burnt out I needed a vacation because my brain was seriously crying hard.  This show was a blast, I met some of the most amazing people in Montreal, and had the time of my life, but there was also some... office drama that really got to me, and just escaping is going to be nice. Unfortunately once I return from Korea, October 4th, I will be returning back home to Ontario, which to be honest I'm not entirely gung-hoe about... but that's life.  Right now it's looking like I won't have a job until January either... unless by some lucky fluke I get on The Chronicles of Riddick, but I very much doubt that right now.  However, it'll be nice to take some time off, because, fingers crossed, January I will be working in Quebec City, until April, and then be back in Montreal for Blue Mountain State Season 4, until then we shall see though.

One thing I'm very much looking forward to when coming back home is seeing my baby boo, Izzy.  I haven't seen my kitty in five months going on six, and out of this whole experience of living away she's the thing I miss the most, okay fine you're in there too daddy-ola, as I know you'll read this and be sad :P.  I cannot wait to go home, and be able to sleep since I'll have my little munchkin at the end of my bed!  That and... I bought a Vespa!  On the show they rode 9 Vespa's for like 30 seconds, and because they bought them they re-sold them.  Luckily for me, my mom has a high position and I ended up being one of the lucky few who got to snag one (along with my mother).  What's even more fun is the fact that they were all custom painted, mine is beautiful lavender, while my mom's is cool mint!  My first "vehicle", and I cannot wait to get my little tush on the back of it, woohoo!

Okay, okay, have I talked enough yet?  I think so, my fingers are getting sore and I'm actually wanting to do my work out, so I want to post a few of the smoothies that I've recently been enjoying for breakfasts/snacks/post work-out meals. Now one of my all time favourite oatmeal's that I've posted on my blog was the Tangelo Creamsicle Overnight Oats, as they replicated my childhood favourite summer treat.  I had been craving those oats again, but didn't really want a bowl of oats so I figured I would make it into an overnight smoothie, which was perfect.  The same flavours were used, just this time it was to be drank instead of eaten, smart idea Sam, very smart!

Creamsicle Smoothie

Recipe inspired from here
 
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 orange, cut into pieces
  • 1/4 cup frozen strawberries (just because I wanted to twist it up)
  • 2-4 tbsp oats
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • Coconut flakes to garnish 
Directions:

Place all of your ingredients in a bowl, stir and cover overnight.  In the morning give your ingredients a whirl in the blender until everything is well incorporated, et voila!  

Orange Pecan Smoothie
 
I have said it time and time again, tropical fruits are my number one love in the world of food (even before cake and pancakes), however, throw in some tropical fruits into a cake (hello Hummingbird) and you'll have me in a crazy house, because I melt at the knees.  This summer, I definitely ate my share of pineapples, bananas, mangoes, and coconut products, however, I also seemed to fall in love with oranges.  Growing up I was never a huge fan of orange juice, unless freshly squeezed, I also wasn't the biggest fan of eating oranges, except halfway through a soccer game.  This summer though, I experimented with oranges (blood being my absolute favourite and cannot wait for them to come back into the grocery stores), but I tried small, medium and large oranges, different types from different places.  I was very hesitant towards the big ones, but found that those were actually the best in fruit salads, where the most flavourful oranges were the teeny tiny baby ones.

With all this being said, as you can see above I even started adding oranges to my smoothies, and not just the juice, but the whole orange. This smoothie was made because... my orange stock was well, overwhelmingly huge (in a good way), but I wanted to use some up so I could go out and buy more fresh ones.  I'd also taken some pecans from work so I wanted to make a smoothie with them for a beautiful nutty flavour.  Well, this was delicious, no, actually that's an understatement.  I can't even really describe the unison of the flavours, but it was a perfect medley and was very much enjoyed, yummm!  

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium orange, peeled
  • A teeny bit of orange peel
  • Handful of pecans between 12-14
  • 1 large banana, frozen
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup water
Directions:

Place all your ingredients in your blender, give them a whirl until you've reached desired consistency.  Pour into your glass and picture yourself on a tropical island.

Mango Orange and Coconut Smoothie
 
I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again, I consider myself to be 95% vegan.  I bake and cook only vegan foods, but once in a while I indulge (I really dislike vegan ice cream, and sometimes I just want that sinful delicious ice cream that I love so much), in this category is also Greek yoghurt.  One thing I discovered this summer, after depriving myself from... satisfying yofhurt for far too long (3/4 cup of yoghurt at 50 calories, filled with aspartame and gelatin thanks but no thanks), with Greek yoghurt there may be skim milk, but there isn't the disgusting addition of gelatin.

This summer, not only did I fall in love with Greek yoghurt, I also explored the different flavours from mango and orange, maple syrup, date and fig, mocha,  blackberry, and others... and was just in heaven. Truthfully the one I thought I would love the most (mango and orange) was my least favourite.  With that being said though, it did make one heck of an amazing smoothie which I seriously craved for many days... so had to indulge a few times.  Adding yoghurt to your smoothie takes it to a whole new level (this week I've been adding silken tofu, which I find gives the same result), but the fact that it was already mango and orange flavoured was perfect since I didn't have mangoes on hand.  This smoothie was a milkshake, it was sinful, and indulgent yet healthy, mmm!  

Ingredients:
  • 1 large banana, frozen
  • 1/4 cup Liberte mango and orange yoghurt
  • 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup water
Directions:

Give everything a whirl in your blender.  Sit, gulp, enjoy.  

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
 
Last but certainly not least, one fantastical smoothie.  This is the smoothie that inspired me to continue adding oats to my smoothies.  I'd had oats in my smoothies before, but having banana + oats, and allowing them to sit overnight makes the smoothie thick and just all around delicious, almost like a very thick milkshake.  We all know how fantastic peanut butter and banana is, peanut butter oatmeal cookies too, which means that this is basically a no brainer as to how this smoothie is going to turn out.  What I like about overnight smoothies is that, your ingredients are already together in the morning, all you have to do is add them to your blender and poor (snap a picture or two if you're a blogger), otherwise it's basically read in one minute and is utterly wonderful.

Ingredients:
  • 2 heaping tbsp oats
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 heaping tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 large banana, frozen
Directions:

Place all of your ingredients in a bowl, stir and cover overnight.  In the morning give your ingredients a whirl in the blender until everything is well incorporated, et voila!

Do you like to switch up your smoothies?
Or do you usually make the same ones over and over again?

No comments: