Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

No Bake Mixed Fruit Cashew Granola Cakes

Recipe thoroughly adapted from here


As I mentioned in my last post, since I started this show I've had a bit of a hard time resisting those non-vegan baked goods, however, this week, since I've been making my own desserts it's been much easier resisting those delicious looking frosted goodies.  Yesterday I didn't even think twice about those cupcakes with the fluffy looking icing on top, because I had my own cookies to devour.

One reason I can narrow down as to why I've been munching down on those desserts like a fat kid ('scuse the saying) is because I have not been getting enough fat in my diet.  No, my meat eating friends it is not because I don't chow down on animal flesh that I'm not getting enough fat, it's because, even though I'm getting a ton of protein (tofu, protein powder, nuts, seeds, and oils) I do not eat rigorous amounts of these foods.  However, this week I started topping my salads with mad amounts of black beans/chick peas, tofu and avocados.  This has certainly helped with the dessert aisle, as well as my crazy cereal binges that I go through at about four o'clock.

I knew that my fat intake had been a little lower lately so, I figured if I start making desserts that have healthy fats: coconut oil, coconut, chia seeds, dark chocolate, etc... this will certainly help.  And so with that, this is why we have this post.  One of my favourite blogs to peruse is Healthful Pursuit, and one of the desserts I came across was for No Bake Raspberry Cashew Granola Cakes, which looked so darned delicious, packed with tons of healthy fats, tons of tasty fruits, protein, lots of fiber from the dried fruit...

These were so simple to make, and such a perfect treat that no one should feel guilty about gobbling down!

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
  • 3/4 cup dried fruit - I used pears, plums, apricots, peaches, and cherries
  • 1/4 cup organic blueberry jam
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut meat
  • 3 tbsp quick oats
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Directions:

Place cashews and coconut oil in the bowl of a processor and process until smooth. It will take about 6-8 minutes and you’ll have to scrape down the bowl a couple of times.

Meanwhile, combine dried fruit, chia seed, coconut, and oats in a large bowl.

Once cashew butter is complete, add raspberry jam, and vanilla. Pulse to combine.  Drop cashew mixture into dried fruit/nut bowl and stir until combined.  Spoon mixture into large muffin liners or a muffin tin, pressing down firmly on each one, flattening with hands.

Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.


Makes 6 cakes.


You really need to try these puppies because they are amazing tasting, and they are ultra-good for you!

No comments: