Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Seinworb... excuse the sugar high.

The other week when my mom and I were perusing through HomeSense my eyes narrowed in on a beautiful bag of chocolate chips. The chocolate chips just so happened to be Ghirardelli chocolates. I had never had them before, and was so stoked since they were cheaper than I had imagined. My mom, being a huge brownie lover was incredibly stoked. "I'll pick them up, but you have to make brownies". Sure, that was no problem. It gives me an excuse to be in the kitchen, try out a new recipe, and fill my face? Alright.

Well, I set off. I had found two brownie recipes that oddly enough hit a spot with me. The first recipe didn't include chocolate chips, however it did include Nutella so ugh... how could I resist and walk away from that? Well, I couldn't. No one else in the house could either. I set off to make them. Oh my goodness, the aroma in the house was fantabulous. The house honestly yelled, eat me, eat me! For me not being a fan of chocolate, you would of never guessed. My mouth was drooling at the sight of these bad boys, but I blame it on the Nutella. Once I took my first bite though... it was all over. Oh my goodness. I seriously entered chocolate-brownie heaven. I did, and I very much enjoyed it. Out of these two brownies, this was by far my favourite, just because really, Nutella is such a weakness of mine.

The next day I came across another brownie recipe that this time did call for chocolate chips. The centre looked oh so raw and gooey that I knew this was the recipe I was going to make. Just like the prior, this batch also yelled, eat me, eat me! I gave in, not even a day went by and I had baked up another batch of brownies, what was going on here?!

These were decadent. Yes, they were indeed very good. However, these were far too chocolate-y for me. My mother on the other hand went bananas for them. My friend Jenna also went bananas over them. I had two squares worth. If I were to make these again, I would definitely reduce the amount of cocoa powder and replace it with flour. I used 65% dark chocolate and it was still far too overpowering for me. However, they were indeed delicious, especially when heated. When you heated them, they got the most ooey-gooey centre that just melted, and the aroma, oh I cannot even tell you!

Nutella Caramel Walnut Brownies

Recipe taken from here
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup AP flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter - room temperature
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup caramel sauce - room temperature
  • 1/4 cup Nutella - melted, approximately 15 seconds in the microwave
  • Walnuts - roughly chopped to garnish
Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Into a mixing bowl add your flour, baking powder, salt & cocoa powder. Using a whisk, mix together & set aside. Into your stand mixer add the sugar, butter and mix together until creamy. Add in eggs one at a time. Mix well. Add vanilla. GRADUALLY add in your flour mixture until it’s well combined. Batter should be thick & sticky.

Spray an ovenproof 10 x 7 dish with cooking spray. Place a piece of parchment paper (slightly larger than your dish to allow for handles) inside. It will adhere to bottom of dish. Spray the top of the parchment paper as well. Take HALF of your brownie batter and smooth it on top of the parchment paper. Take your caramel sauce and pour it on top of brownie mixture covering entire layer of brownie {careful not to place it too close to edges}. Place the remaining brownie batter on top smoothing it out.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until sides are firm and center is no longer giggly.

Allow brownies to cool completely before removing. Cut your brownies to your desired size using a serrated knife. Make a small indentation with your finger into each brownie. Take your melted Nutella and drizzle over the tops of the brownies. Garnish with the walnuts.

Fudge-y Homemade Brownies


Recipe taken from here

Yup, even Izzo was taking a whiff they smelt that good!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cup 65% dark Ghirardelli chocolate
  • 5 tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp baking cocoa
  • 1/3 cup flour
Directions:

In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and butter together. Stir in vanilla and set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until light yellow and in the ribbon stage (you know you’ve reached this when you can lift up your whisk and the egg mixture drip down in a steady ribbon rather than in gloopy clumps). Stir in salt and cocoa and mix well to combine.

Stir chocolate mixture into egg mixture and combine well. Sift over flour and fold in until just mixed. Do not overmix, or you will have tough, dry brownies.

Pour into a sprayed 8 x 8″ baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

**do not over bake and allow to cool completely before cutting*

What are your favourite type of brownies? Do you like them cakey, gooey, chewy, exploding with melted chocolates, crunchy? :)

No comments: