Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

My Favourite Breakfast Food.

Despite not having a large sum of recipes on my blog with pancakes, they remain and always will be my favourite breakfast food. I swear, my favourite foods are ones that include cake in them, pancake, cupcake, and well cake. There is just something so warming, and comforting about those three things. That is why, waking up and making yourself a huge helping of pancakes is seriously the best gift to yourself. Heck, in my opinion it's the greatest way to spread love. A busy morning with pancakes? Love. Sunday morning spent with family and pancakes? Love. Evening dinner with pancakes? Love. Anytime? Love.

Spiced Coconut Pancakes

Recipe taken from here

By now, you know that coconuts are one of my favourite fruits and that cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice - that family of spices are my favourite. When I saw this recipe, needless to say it was saved to my computer and was made no later than two days afterward. Jordan was coming over in the morning, and the breakfast I had made was just not pleasing to my palette, so I went onto my computer and looked for this recipe. I loved it. At first I had made them for Jordan, and was going to make myself something else, or just eat my breakfast not enjoying it. I made myself a pancake the size of a dollar. Well, needless to say that just wasn't going to be enough. The flavours were so rich and amazing it would be impossible to stop at just a dollar-sized pancake, if I had twenty that would be another story, but I didn't, I had one. So, I continued to poor the batter. Flipping. Staring. Drooling. Oh, my tastebuds were having a party.

I had accidentally burned one, so I ate it because I didn't want Jor to experience bad pancakes. It was good, but it wasn't that good. I then snuck one from Jor's plate. He said I could have another one, but since they were drenched in maple syrup which I really detest the flavour of... when it was inside the pancake it was okay, but on top of pancakes, it just becomes sticky, soggy and gross. However, these pancakes were so good, I couldn't help myself. At first I took half, then who was I kidding? I took the other half. I loved them. I love tropical flavours. I love spices with a zing. These were perfect. They just made my heart warm and my soul dance. Kudos Bon Appetit! for making a fantabulous pancake!

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • (1) 13 1/2 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Vegetable Oil
Directions:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Whisk first 6 ingredients and 3/4 tsp salt in large bowl. Whisk coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups warm, water, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and vanilla, in medium bowl. Whisk coconut milk mixture into dry mixture until batter is pourable.

Heat griddle or skillet over medium-high heat; brush with vegetable oil. Working in batches, add batter by 1/4 cupfuls. Working quickly and using back of spoon, spread each pancake to about 4-inch round. Cook until until small bubbles appear on surface and bottoms of pancakes are golden, reducing heat if browning too quickly, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Keep warm in oven.

Place 2 to 2 pancakes on each plate. Top with maple syrup, sliced bananas or tropical fruit.

Blueberry Banana Protein Pancakes

Recipe taken from here

I know when you work out you're supposed to eat a lot of protein so that your muscles repair themselves. However, okay, I have never been pregnant, but I feel like a pregnant woman. I am craving protein like a mad woman. All I want is protein. Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and even dessert! When I saw this recipe I knew it would be perfect. My perfect breakfast, plus they were packed with protein, it was perfect for my after-morning work out. I made these for both Jordan and I. I liked these, but he absolutely loved them. He is not a fan of pancakes really. Last year, I went through this phase where honestly, pretty much all I would eat was like 6-7 pancakes for breakfast, than my regular meals after that. He didn't enjoy that. These however, my goodness, something swept in him and took them away. I'm not even sure if he took a second to breathe during each bite. It was crazy. "I'm surprised you like these Sam, they aren't the usual texture of pancake". No they aren't, but they sure were good.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese (or low fat or full fat)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup water
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
  • 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
  • Cooking spray
  • Topped with banana and blueberries
Directions:

Heat medium size skillet to medium heat.

Place the oats, cottage cheese, apple sauce, flax, cinnamon, vanilla extract, water, and salt in the blender and blend on high for 1 minute, until incorporated thoroughly. Add the baking powder and protein powder and give the blender a few quick pulses to incorporate.

Coat the skillet with oil and pour 1/4 of the batter on the skillet. After bubbles begin to form around the edges, flip the pancake to cook the other side. Remove pancake and continue to cook the rest of the cakes.

Go on, spread the love.

No comments: