Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Craving Summer? Smoothies Galore + The 30 Day Shred Results So Far

This morning I am more than a little frustrated. My day started off by my body waking me at 5:00 am for no reason at all. I couldn't sleep so I turned my computer on and spoke to a friend on Skype for a while. I then went back to sleep. I woke up and was in a great deal of pain from working out. I hobbled around and made my way upstairs to make my morning smoothie. Well, was that ever frustrating. My fruit were so frozen together I ended up adding so much more milk then intended and wanting to slam my fist into the blender because it just didn't want to do it's job. After about ten minutes, I think it got over teasing me and allowed me to finally sit down and enjoy my breakfast. I then come on my blog to post an entry I made a day ago and all the pictures are gone, so I decided to post something else. I then continue, and let that slide and want to finish working on something I was working on two days ago, and realize that blogger just didn't want to save it, so I lost a very beautiful entry. This day is not looking the greatest, but its up to me to not let those little occurrences get the best of me, and make my day better!

In my entry I was talking about part of my new years resolutions. It's been nineteen days since my resolution had been created, so I think it's safe to start talking about it. As I had mentioned I am very good at doing things I set my mind too. I started eating healthier. I started feeling better about myself. I've also started working out on a regular basis. I love how when I look at other people's blogs it's not only about food, no they have some sort of physical activity they do too, and it inspires me it motivates me to get off of my bed and do my work out. I mean don't get me wrong there are plenty of blogs out there that are just food, but I don't want that to be me anymore. The blogs that I like the most, and get the most inspiration are oddly enough the blogs with people also talking about working out.

As of two Mondays ago - January 10th, I began Jillian Michael's (The Biggest Loser female trainer) 30 Day Shred. Last year when I had been on disability I was working my way through this work out, however, since I was on disability for fibromyalgia (a pain disorder) this work out was really beginning to get to me, so I stopped doing it altogether. This time however, I am working through it. I am now on day 10, and have done the work out every single day. I am going to take a day or two of rest before I begin part two. What Jillian does is, it's a thirty take work out, with three intervals, and each interval lasting ten days. I've done the first interval so many times that I literally know the words, timing, breaks everything by heart. Needless to say I'm rather excited to get out of work out one. However, the other day I decided to watch part two to get myself ready for what I'm about to be doing. Ugh, yeah, there are moves that I didn't even a know a human could do. So, I rewound the video, and did it carefully for practice (this wasn't a serious work out because I had already done my work out), but it was to practice the moves. I did so, but boy was it challenging, and unfortunately, I still can't figure out one of the moves. I will keep working on it though.

I will be posting pictures from every interval. The pictures today I took on day three. I will then post day ten, day twenty, and day thirty. I'm already able to see some definition in my stomach, legs and arms. As well as I can officially say I can do more than one push up. Yes, my arms are actually allowing me to do some push ups which I am incredibly happy with that. I've also been doing a little bit of running some days, however, I really need to work on that.

. . .

...

Why am I doing this to myself?

What have I noticed so far about doing the work out? I definitely feel more alive. I know that's a weird thing to say. But, I feel so healthy. I feel like I want to constantly be moving and not sitting in place. I'm eating healthier, much, much healthier. Getting in a lot of protein, calcium and iron which I really wasn't before. I feel clear headed. I've actually gained quite a bit of confidence, I'm beginning to actually love my body. This is all within ten days.

With all of this being said. What am I eating after my work out's to repair the muscle? Different things everyday.

One of the first things I had made was a Peanut Butter Banana Protein Yoghurt Parfait. It was so simple to make, and it tasted absolutely delicious. Not only that, is that it was incredibly filling and took barely any time to prepare at all! Protein powder does not have to be limited to simply being put in smoothies there are so many great things you can do with protein powder. Put them in drinks, make granola bars out of them, "ice cream" (which we will soon see), yoghurt parfaits, etc...

Ingredients:
  • 1 scoop of peanut butter whey protein powder
  • 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yoghurt
  • 1 banana
  • 1 tbsp water (to make it mix easier)
  • Granola - to sprinkle on top
  • Amaretto agave nectar - to sprinkle on top
Directions:

In the bowl of your food processor add your protein powder, yoghurt, water and blend together. If you notice your protein powder sticking to the sides, you can just grab a spatula and scrape the sides down. Pour your yoghurt mixture into a bowl. Top with your banana, granola and agave nectar.

Dig in! You deserve it after that hard work out, or even as a simple breakfast meal, this is loaded with good and healthy nutrients.

Rainbow Chard Smoothie

Recipe taken from here

In the summer I started making spinach smoothies, and loving the fact that the smoothie was loaded with incredibly healthy nutrients and I couldn't taste a thing. This week I decided to use the same concept and look for smoothies with red chard, since I had bought a huge bundle and didn't want any to go to waste. This smoothie was filled with so much of the "good stuff". Anti-oxidents, iron, protein, calcium, potassium, omega 3's/6's, and so much more. Not only that, it tasted absolutely fantastic! It took quite a while to drink as well, and was insanely filling. I don't think I ate for almost four or so hours after drinking this. Yum.

It was kind of nice to wake up without a hangover on New Years Day for the first time in at least 5 years! Which brings us to this smoothie, which I enjoyed while putting together PowerPoints and lesson plans for next week at school. I’m ready to be back…I miss those crazy 8th graders!

Ingredients:

  • 1 frozen banana, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
  • 1 scoop protein powder of your choice (soy, hemp, etc…)
  • 1 tbsp carob chips
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 2 tsp flax seeds, ground
  • 4 large rainbow chard leaves, rinsed, dried, and roughly chopped
  • Unsweetened coconut flakes - to top
  • Hazelnut agave nectar - to top

Directions:

Combine the banana, soy milk, carob chips, chia seeds, and flax seeds in a blender, and blend for about 30 seconds. Add the chard leaves and blend until smooth. Serve topped with desired toppings I chose coconut flakes and flavoured agave nectar.

Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

Recipe taken from here

Now when I was a child orange and cherry creamsicles were always my favourite. I'm a sucker for anything with ice cream as you all know. Shove a fudgesicle infront of my fave I won't even take a second glance, but a creamsicle, my mouth starts to water and the whole digestion process begins. Oh I love them. When I found a recipe for a Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie how could I dare not saving it and attempting it? Was I skeptical that it wouldn't taste like my childhood favourite? Absolutely. However, was I ever in for a surprise. Not only did it taste 99.9% like my favourite, but it was filled with nothing but nutrition. There wasn't anything bad in it for me, and it was just as scrumptious, not only that it was for breakfast! What a way to start the day! I had never had an avocado in a smoothie before, as you can remember I detested avocado up and until a month ago, now I can't get enough. This made the smoothie so silky and smoothe. I loved the result. Oh, I would hands down make this smoothie in a heartbeat. I loved it!

Ingredients:

  • 1 large ripe banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen
  • 1/2 small avocado, flesh scooped out, and frozen
  • 2-3 clementines, peeled and broken into segments
  • 1 cup soy milk
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • 1 Medjool date, pitted and roughly chopped
  • 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice

Directions:

Peel and freeze the avocado, clementines, and banana before making this smoothie. Once frozen place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. You may add more liquid if it is too thick. Makes 2 cups.

Strawberry Banana Ginger Avocado Smoothie

When my mom and I were working on this show a couple of months ago, one of the location's guys always used to bring in freshly squeezed juice. I had never had any of it, just because he always seemed to come around after I had drank my tea and finished my oatmeal. However, whenever I asked him "what's in it today", there was always ginger in it. I had never tried ginger in my smoothies before, however, I know that ginger is very good for nausea, digestive problems, circulation and arthritis amongst other benefits. Even if I'm not currently in a state of having those problems, it doesn't help to protect myself from them. So, when I made this smoothie I decided to plop some ginger into it. Not only were there health benefits added to this smoothie, but the zing you get from ginger was amazing. After having the Orange Creamsicle Smoothie and loving the creaminess the avocado adds to the smoothie I decided to add that in. The combination of strawberries, banana, lime, avocado and ginger was such a flavour punch. It was loaded with flavour, but nothing was too overpowering. The combination of all five, melded simultaneously into the smoothie resulting in one fine drink, yum!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 avocado
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1 ginger cube
  • 1 small frozen banana (cut into slices)
  • 4 frozen strawberries
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
Directions:

Blend well and enjoy.

Makes 1 small smoothie

Banana Chai Smoothie

Recipe taken from here

I love, love, love Chai tea. It was the second type of tea I had ever tried, the first being honey lemon. Chai however, hit the spot. It hit the spot the first time I ahd tried it, and hits the spot every time I drink it. There is never a time I am disappointed in it. It would make sense considering all of my favourite spices are built into one mix. Chai is soothing and warm, then you mix it with one of my all time favourite fruits and what do you yet? One seriously addicting drink. They should sell this bad boy at Starbucks, Booster Juice, Orange Julius, etc... anywhere where cold smoothie type drinks are sold. It is amazing. Absolutely fantastic. Out of all the above smoothies this was my favourite, they were all fantastic, but I love banana and I love Chai so bring it on!

Ingredients:

  • 1 heaping tsp. chai spice mix *recipe below
  • 1 1/2 large bananas, frozen (or 2 small)
  • 4 ice cubes
  • 2/3 cup soy milk
  • 1 tbsp coconut butter
Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth.

Chai Spice Mix - yields about 1/3 cup spice mix

2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
2 1/2 tbsp ground cardamom
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp white pepper

Directions:

Mix all spices together, and store in tupperware or a sealed plastic bag. Use to taste!

Enjoy :)

No comments: