Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Orange Honey Lavender Palmiers + Triple C Palmiers (Chocolate, Caramel, Coconut)

"A palm tree (French: palmier) is a Spanish or French pastry in a palm shape or a butterfly shape, sometimes called palm leaves, elephant ears or glasses. It is thought to have originated in France around the turn of the century, but appears to a broader geography than just France. There is no known first credit for the recipe."

"Palmiers are made from puff pastry, a laminated dough similar to the dough used for croissant, but without the yeast. Puff pastry is alternating layers of dough and melted butter. The puff pastry is rolled out, coated with sugar, and then the two sides are rolled up together so that they meet in the middle, making a roll that is then cut into about 1/4" slices and baked. Usually it is rolled in sugar before baking. In the Puerto Rican version, it is topped with honey." - Wikipedia

Over the course of the summer I saw many different versions of palmiers. I had never had them before, and I had a box of puff pastry in my fridge so I decided that I would be trying out these suckers. I mean c'mon now, buttery puff pastry with honestly any toppings that I want? Yeah, obviously I couldn't this slip away from me. I made two different versions. One with lavender, orange zest, sugar and honey, which was honestly beautiful. The flavours came so well together, it seriously tasted like tea time. The other I added chocolate chips, Life brand cereal, coconut, and tons of ooey-gooey melted caramel, yeah... those were DEFINITELY sinful.

I seriously loved these beautiful little pastries. They were fun to make, packed with flavour and were seriously one of the easiest baked goods I've ever made. I really wanted to make my own puff pastry, but since I had a box in the fridge I figured I might as well use it up. However, now that I don't have any, I have a good excuse to make some :)!

Orange Honey Lavender Palmiers

  • 2 tsp crushed Lavender
  • 1 1/2 tsp orange zest
  • 1 heaping tbsp honey
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 sheet of Puff Pastry
Triple C Palmiers (Chocolate, Caramel, Coconut)
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups life brand cereal processed
  • 1 cup coconut, toasted
  • 1 cup caramel

Directions:

Heat oven to 450 degrees F.

Mix your ingredients together in a bowl. Sift some sugar (with no honey in it) over your workstation. Roll out the puff pastry. Sprinkle your lavender mix over the puff pastry. (Or change accordingly for the Triple C version, or whichever ingredients you decide).

Fold up the left and right vertical side inward, stopping at about 1/4 of the pastry. Fold both sides that meet at the center and touch with each other. Press the two sides together gently as picture shown. Let the pastry chill in the fridge for at least half an hour. (Repeat with any more puff pastry you may have.)

Transfer pastry on your workstation carefully. Cut pastry into strips about 1.25cm (1/2 inch) in thickness. Pinch and press the sides of the two rolls together to ensure that they don't unroll during baking.

Refrigerate for fifteen minutes so that the flavours combine and to make it easier to cut.

Place on baking tray lined with baking paper . Leave about 5 cm (2 inches) between each because they will increase in size after baking. Bake in batches if needed.

Set the tray in the middle of the oven.

Bake for about 12-15 minutes, turning once at about 7 minutes, until the sugar has caramelized and golden brown. Allow them to cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: