Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Cook’s Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies + Chewy Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies + Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cook’s Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

Recipe taken from here

This is definitely one of the most interesting cookies I have ever made. If you make cookies a lot, or know the technique behind most cookies you know that it usually begins by mixing the butter and sugar until nice and fluffy. This cookie begins with the butter being melted and browned on the stove. I love browned butter, it has such a nutty caramel fragrance and tastes' so much more rich.

The next step in making this cookie, is to add the sugar, eggs and vanilla for 30 second intervals, then you let it rest for three minutes, and do this a total of three times.

The reason for the use of a different technique for making this cookie is because they wanted to create a cookie that would be moist and chewy in the center yet crisp on the edges.

For some reason my dough was incredibly crumbly, like the dough of a shortbread, however, when rolled into balls they actually stayed. I liked the way the cookies ended up looking, they weren't as flat or glossy as I've seen many people's pictures of these cookies, but I liked that mine were fat. To be honest though, I wasn't a gigantic fan of these cookies. They were too... I'm not sure, but they weren't the type of cookie that I've been searching on my c.c.c. mission.

I think though that I would of liked this recipe if I had done half the batch with chocolate chips and half without, due to the browned butter in this recipe, it already has enough sweetness that you really don't need the added chocolate chips. I say this because as a c.c.c. it definitely was not what i search for.

If this wasn't a chocolate chip cookie however, I probably would of gobbled this down, but as mentioned in a prior chocolate chip cookie post of mine, the chocolate is my least favourite part of the cookie... I know you guys are probably thinking by now that my parents dropped me on my head when I was a child because who doesn't like chocolate... however, I was talking to a man at work, and we were having this exact discussion because we were eating the catered lunch and he was like, "why must there be so much chocolate desserts? I hate chocolate!" So, voila, I'm not the only one, and I'm glad I have someone in the same boat as me, funny enough he made the comment about how if he were to tell people he were a Satan worshiper that would probably be taken more lightly than someone who doesn't like chocolate, funny though eh?

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups AP flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 tsp table salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)
Directions:

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

Add both sugars, salt and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use a #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet.

Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10-14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies

Recipe taken from here

I was intrigued by these cookies, because as you all know coconut is one of my favourite flavours. I saw the coconut before I even saw the chocolate chip. However, when I scrolled down to look at the ingredients in the recipe I noticed that there was vanilla pudding in it! Since my other chocolate chip vanilla pudding cookies were such a hit I knew that this recipe was definitely a must-make! These went in part of the package I made for the two accountants, I thought that it would be a nice touch, since I put the cinnamon candy canes, the toasted coconut shortbread with white chocolate icing, and the above chocolate chip recipe this would definitely be a nice touch.

These were definitely amazing. I didn't even give them thirty seconds of being out of the oven before I plopped one into my mouth. These cookies weren't as chewy on the inside as the other c.c. vanilla pudding cookies, but I think it was due to the bread flour. The bread flour I used was whole wheat so it was much denser than it would of been if it were a white bread flour or even AP flour. The were a great cookie, but I also didn't find that the coconut was as noticeable as I would have liked. I wish it was more of a kick in the face, but it was more subtle, I mean I could of knocked it up by adding coconut extract instead of vanilla, but I chose not to just because I had never made the cookies before and thought that perhaps it would have been okay without, but as mentioned time and time again coconut is one of the foods that makes me weak to the knees so I always like it to be known that there is tons of coconut in the food it is in.

As much as I liked this cookie it still isn't a favourite of mine. I have a few more recipes to try and then we will see!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
  • 2 1/4 cup of bread flour
  • 1 tsp of sea salt
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar (tightly packed)
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 packet of vanilla pudding mix (about 3.5 oz)
  • 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut
Directions:

Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove and set it aside to cool.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In another large bowl, combine the cooled melted butter and both sugars. Beat until creamy. The mixture will be liquidy. Add the egg, the yolk, the cream, and the vanilla extract. Beat until well combined. In about 3 increments, add the flour. Beat on low speed until each addition is just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla pudding mix and beat till incorporated. Using a large spatula or wooded spoon, mix in the chocolate and coconut.
Cover well and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Scoop out well rounded tablespoonfuls of dough for each cookie. Roll into balls and gently press down (but don't flatten completely). Allow about 1-inch of space between each one. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are slightly golden in the middle. Remove from oven and allow them to sit for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Yields about 40 cookies.


Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe taken from here

If you have had a whoopie pie before and like that sort of soft-pillowy texture then you will love this recipe. This cookie definitely hit all the flavours on the head, however, it just wasn't a "chocolate chip" cookie. I mean, as much as I love Chip's Ahoy Soft Cookies, these were nothing like those. Those cookies are unmistakeably a cookie, these were more of a muffin top or cupcake top. I really did like them, however they were just not what I was looking for. I decided to take about 1/4 of the dough and not put any chocolate chips in the dough to see how it would turn out. They were very good, but funny enough they looked really naked. When you looked at them you almost knew something was missing, however, when you took that first bite it was like eating cake, it really was good, just as I said not what I was searching for in a c.c.c.

What are your favourite chocolate chip cookies?

No comments: