Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


Recipe taken from here

After trying butternut squash last winter I immediately became hooked on the flavour. This is such a delicious vegetable. I am honestly in-love with it, soup, just as is, tossed with nutmeg and cinnamon, caramelized, etc... I decided that I was going to make soup because not only is it healthy, it's simple to make and just tastes' so darn good! This was delicious, unfortunately I couldn't find my blender so I used my hand blender instead but it's not a very good one so it wasn't AS smoothe as it should of been but the taste was divine!

Ingredients:
  • 4 small or 2 large butter nut squash, peeled and cut in half length-wise
  • 2 tbsp olive oil + extra for brushing
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 cups of vegetable broth (I only had one cup so I used it and 1 cup of water)
  • 5 - 6 fresh sprigs of thyme
  • 8 bay leaves
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp sour cream
  • 3 tbsp plain yogurt
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • Walnuts
Directions:

Brush the cut side of the squash with a bit of olive oil. Sprinkle each half with about 1 tablespoon of water. Bake, cut side down, in large glass dish for 35min or until softened. Check half way through baking and add additional water if necessary to keep squash from scorching.

Heat olive oil in large skillet. Once hot, add chopped onion. Cook until browned. Add garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add squash and vegetable broth. Cook for 8-10 minutes over medium heat.

Remove from heat. Using a hand blender or regular blender, puree the mixture. Stir in butter, sour cream, and yogurt. Add thyme and bay leaves. Cook for 15 minutes over low to medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves before serving, then top with walnuts!


Enjoy the fall flavours in this delicate soup!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, thanks. The pics look so delish. We are going to post this to all our walnut lover followers. If you love walnuts, please come join our conversation. Please visit www.walnutlovers.com for the most talked about recipes and news about the super nut online! Can't wait to chat with you soon.

Samantha said...

Thank you... how did you find my post? Are you going to post a link to my blog?...