Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Cranberry Apple Streusel Pie

Cranberry Apple Streusel Pie

Recipe adapted from here

As I mentioned in my apple ravioli post last year was the first time I had tried apple pie. I remember Jordan had gone on this East Coast trip and went to a place called Big Apple and brought back this gigantic apple pie, and I mean GIGANTIC even bigger than deep dish. If I wasn't such a cake fan that would have convinced to turn over to pie (that and the sugar pie's from Boulangerie St-Donant oh my goshhhhh!). Anyways, we had tons and tons of apples in the fridge and had bought even more fruit when we went to the grocery store even though our fridge was already full on fruit so I thought what better way to get rid of them then some pie? I mean it is Thanksgiving this weekend. My mom's boyfriend loves apple pie so I knew that they would get eaten, and really what is fall with out the beautiful flavours of apple pie?

While this was cooking the house smelt insanely good, the oatmeal on top definitely added to this fragrance. I can't even tell you how good the house smelt. I really wish I had vanilla ice cream to add to this sinful pie. This is farrr farrr from a healthy cake, all the butter and sugar CANNOT be good for you, but it's all within moderation right? Especially if you don't eat this frequently it's okay to indulge with the REAL ingredients once in a while! Ugh I'm drooling just thinking about it, so so good!


Ingredients:

Filling

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 7 cups apples, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries
Crust

2 frozen pie crust's

Streusel

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup firm butter
2 Quaker apple & cinnamon oatmeal packets

Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place cookie sheet in oven to heat. In 1-quart saucepan, cook 1/4 cup butter over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted and lightly browned. Cool completely for about 15 minutes.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 tbsp flour. Beat in cooled butter. Stir in apples. Pour into crust.

In a medium bowl, stir together all streusel ingredients + 1 packet of the oatmeal together except butter. With pastry blender, fork or your hands, cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apples. Take your last packet of oatmeal and sprinkle on top of the streusel so that you get an even more delectable crust ;). Place pie on baking sheet in oven.

Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and cover crust with strips of foil to prevent browning. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool completely.


Enjoy!

No comments: