Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Whole Wheat Banana, Blueberry, Raspberry Bread + Coconut Banana Bread

Whole Wheat Banana, Blueberry, Raspberry Bread
Recipe created by yours truly, moi
This is a great recipe for bread. It uses healthy whole wheat flour and it is sweetened with honey. There is no butter, since it is replaced with healthy extra virgin olive oil. Did you know olive oil can help aid with heart disease and colon cancer, and also is a great source of monounsaturated fatty acids and high contents of antioxidative substances? This bread is so simple to make, its delicious, moist, sweet, and it's perfect for breakfast, snacks and even dessert. What's even nicer about it is that every bite is a surprise. You either get a hit of banana, a little flicker of raspberry or you bite into a big plump summer blueberry, ugh, it's just so perfect!

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup EVOO
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup frozen raspberry puree
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg, allspice, cloves
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

In a large bowl beat oil and honey together. Add eggs, and mix together well. Stir in the banana, raspberry puree, frozen blueberries, and the vanilla. Then add the flour, salt and spices.

Add baking soda to hot water, stir to disolve, then add to batter.

Spread batter into loaf pan, I chose 2 mini loaves, and six muffins.
Bake for 55-60 minutes - test the loaf by interting a toothpick and adjust baking time. Cool your loaves on a wire rack for 30 minutes before slicing.
Spread a little butter over a slice and enjoy your summer-ful loaf!

Coconut Banana Bread Squares

Recipe adapted from here
When I first started blogging this recipe was one of the first one's I saved. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to make this recipe because it incorporates some of my favourite flavours but this morning I decided to make it. I figured I had a lot of bananas lying around, and I start work in two weeks so I figured if I make some loaves now and freeze them, I'll have some nice snacks to pack in my lunch! This bread made the house smell like heaven. I have to admit I open the oven two or three times while it was baking to stick my nose in, this also allowed for the whole house to get some coconut-banana aroma in the air. It still smells like its in the oven, and it's been a couple of hours now that it has been taken out. I'm so happy I finally decided to make this beautiful bread! Definitely recommend it if you're a huge coconut banana fan like I am!
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 large bananas
  • 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
  • 6 tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp imitation run extract
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut + 2 tbsp to sprinkle on top
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Whisk flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs and beat to combine. Add banana, sour cream, milk, vanilla and rum extracts. Beat until blended. Add flour mixture and beat at a low speed until just combined. Stir in the coconut. Pour batter into an 8.5'x4.5' pan that has been lined. Sprinkle additional coconut on top.
Bake in the oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a knife/skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. When done, let cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes then carefully remove from the pan. Cool for another 15 minutes before slicing.
Now take in that insanely gorgeous aroma, and have yourself a piece with a cup of milk, you deserve it!
Enjoy :)

No comments: