Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt + Healthy Breakfast Yoghurt Parfaits

Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt

For my birthday I was given an ice cream maker. I was so extremely excited about it, I mean, how couldn't I be, ever since the summer has began I have read countless blog entries about various ice cream flavours. There are so many possibilities, and I was so giddy I couldn't wait to make my first batch. Since I was house sitting at my dad's girlfriends and she has three sons, I thought it would be a great opportunity to try out my new device. Being the type of person who thinks I can accomplish new tools, electronics, and toys without reading the manual I hopped right into it. Well, to be quite frank, it was rather dumb. I didn't even think I would have to actually FREEZE anything BEFOREHAND, no that would just make too much sense... I realized during me putting my ice cream machine together however, that this wasn't the case. So, I stuck the part of the machine I had to freeze in the freezer for approximately four and a half hours.

In the mean time, I was determined to get everything for my ice cream ready, so that when the time came to put it all together it would be really quick. Well, again, that should be something that is really easy, but you see when my friend Jenna comes over I seem to get rather distracted. I needed to make a simple syrup for something else I was making which required a larger amount compared to the small amount that was necessary for this recipe. Instead I mixed them up, and when the time came to put it all in the ice cream machine I knew my ice cream was doooomed. It rised, then it sunk, then it churned, and churned, churned, and churned some more. I think I let it churn for almost two and a half hours before I decided to turn my machine off. I was really uspet, however, I served it as a smoothie and that was apparently a huge hit. When in doubt, you have ice cream fails, serve it as smoothies? Great tip, glad I learnt that on my first experience at making ice cream with a new machine, hahaha!

I decided to freeze the compartment again and try batch number two in one night. Let me tell you, this was beautiful. The colour was gorgeous and the taste was great! (It wasn't even real ice cream and no one could tell the difference, yes, it was frozen yoghurt, and it was amazing). Needless to say I learnt my lesson, if you want to make ice cream don't have your friend who are a complete nut in front of be in the same room as you! Kidding, I love you miss... but seriously.

Microwave Fail

On this note, I'd like to share with you another story involving my friend Jenna. I had invited her over, and time and time again I cook or bake for her. It's just inevitable, she brings movies for us to watch and I supply the grub. Over the past few years, my culinary skills have improved dramatically. However... I can apparently make a full-course Thanksgiving dinner and not screw that up after not having any experience with it prior but I CANNOT pop a bag of popcorn! What is this? Oh, yes, I can cook a full turkey but cannot pop popcorn. I was so insanely embarrassed, Jenna seemed to find it hilarious, then, I literally fell to my knees and started cackling like a witch, it was ridiculous. I didn't take the plastic cover out of the microwave and decided to plop my steaming bag of kernels right on top of it! Duhhhh... lesson learnt again, KICK FUNNY/DISTRACTING FRIENDS OUT OF THE KITCHEN! Hehe, don't worry, it's been much better in the kitchen with her, sometimes I try to involve her and I get an almost whispered-shout of random curse words even though she doesn't swear... hmmmmmmm... onto the recipe at last.

Microwave Fail

Related Posts with   ThumbnailsIngredients:

  • 2 cups of vanilla yoghurt
  • 11 regular sized strawberries (after pureeing and straining, it’ll be 2/3 cups)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 5/8 cup (same as 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup) water
  • 1/2 cup whole milk (cold)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp lemon juice

Preparation:

In a saucepan, pour water and sugar, and put on medium heat until it boils. Don’t stir. Lower heat and simmer until all the sugar granules are dissolved. Take out of the heat and cool to room temperature before putting in the refrigerator.

Wash strawberries and slice off the leafy tops. Put in a blender or a food processor and puree with lemon juice. Strain out the seeds. Put in the fridge to cool.

Once the puree and the sugar syrup have cooled in the fridge, stir in the strawberry puree and vanilla extract into the syrup.

In a big bowl, mix the yoghurt on low speed for 30 seconds. Carefully add the strawberry syrup and mix for a minute. Pour in the cold milk and mix for another minute.

Set up your ice cream maker and turn it on. Pour the mixture into the spout and churn for 30 minutes.

Enjoy immediately or for better taste, allow to “rest” in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight. It tastes better after the resting period.

I also wanted to share this amazingly simple breakfast, not only is it incredibly tasty but looks absolutely beautiful at the same time and is good for you! What more can you want?

Ingredients:

  • Desired yoghurt - vanilla was used
  • Desired fruit - strawberries and blueberries were used
  • Bran bar - original flavour was used
Strawberry Blueberry Yoghurt Parfait
Ingredients:
  • Desired yoghurt - vanilla was used
  • Desired fruit - blueberries and bananas were used
  • Bran bar - original flavour was used
Blueberry Banana Yoghurt Parfait

Directions:

Place yoghurt at the bottom of your bowl. Place desired fruit on top of yoghurt and slightly crush your bran bar and sprinkle it on top of your fruit and yoghurt.

Sit down and eat!

Enjoy :)

No comments: