Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Strawberry Jam + Strawberry Loaf (Say Goodbye to Banana Bread!)

I really am not a fan person UNLESS it happens to be in cookies! Empire cookies are definitely one of my favourite cookies, as well as those Peek Frean: Fruit Cookies, those make my mouth water just thinking of them. I've never been a jam person though... confession time, I even have a fear of peanut butter and jelly mixed together. Oh my goodness, just the thought of that makes me want to puke all over the room. Gross gross gross. This jam however was amazing. It was definitely extremely sweet, but it wasn't a crazy "powder sugar" sweet, it was like a nice, I'm not sure how to describe it. It was simply amazing, especially when mixed on top of a warm piece of Strawberry loaf... Oh it was... excuse my french, but orgasmic. Oh booooyyyy...!

Makes 5 cups

Ingredients:

  • 2 pints fresh strawberries
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 box fruit pectin
  • 3/4 cup water

Directions:

Wash and rinse plastic containers with tight fitting lids. Use 1 to 2 cup size containers

Discard stems and crush strawberries. Measure exactly 2 cups crushed strawberries into a large bowl. Add sugar and mix well - do not reduce the amount of sugar or use sugar substitutes or jam may not set properly. Let stand 10 minutes; stir occasionally.

Stir pectin and water in a small saucepan (pectin may start out lumpy). Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Stir pectin into strawberry mixture. Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy, about 3 minutes.

Pour into prepared containers, leaving ½ inch at top for expansion during freezing; cover. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours until set. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks. Otherwise, store in freezer up to a year. Thaw in refrigerator.

This has got to be on my top five list right now. This was so moist, rich in flavour, such an amazing smell, and the look was absolutely stunning to boot! I can't go on enough about how much I loved this. I brought the second loaf to the bf's parents house, and his mom wanted to hide it from his dad and sister, it is that good. Oh I love it. This makes me want to never make a banana bread EVER again in my life... but seeing as I have an absolutely amazing banana bread recipe I cannot say goodbye forever. You have to try this out though, oh my goodness, it is a necessity!

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups sliced strawberries
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cups vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cups applesauce
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat the 3 eggs until thick and lemon colored. In a separate bowl, mash the strawberries. Add the sugar, mashed strawberries, and oil to the eggs and mix well. In another large bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the berry mixture and mix until just incorporated. Divide batter evenly between 2 well-9 x 5 loaf pans. Bake for 50 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes before removing bread from pans.



Enjoy :)!

No comments: