Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Barley Soup

Barley Soup

Oh my goodness. I had never had barley before. I had bought a bag of barley when I was living back with the bf. I had always wanted to try it and I just found other recipes that trumped the barley. Why I waited so long to try this beautiful beautiful grain is beyond me. It is so hearty and just fills your heart with happiness. This was an absolutely amazing soup. I really am not a gigantic fan of soup, but this definitely won me over, and the kicker here, I created the recipe myself even though I hadn't a clue of the flavouring, how to cook or anything to do with the barley. I was such a happy beaver when it was actually successful!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup barley
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 sprigs rosemary
  • Fresh parsley
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 8 button mushrooms
  • 20 baby carrots
  • Biiiig handful chopped fresh spinach
  • 1 tbsp EVOO
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup water
Directions:
In a medium pan, bring 4 cups of water and the 1 cup of barley to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the barley is soft - I made mine the night before.

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft. Add the carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they are soft. Add the vegetable broth, water, rosemary, parsley and spinach. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked barley and cook for 15 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

Barley Soup
Enjoy :)

No comments: