Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Iced Anise Cookies (without the iced)


Anise anise anise, what an amazing flavour. When I saw this recipe, it instantly jumped out at me, and I knew this was for sure on my future radar. When I went home last time, this was the first thing I did. Seeing as my mom loves to bake as much as I do, she was bound of have anise extract. She did, in fact, she had two bottles, a little much but, prepared I suppose. The aroma of the anise met my nose, and I'm pretty sure my nose did a little dance. I love the smell, and I love the taste. Anything that comes even near to black liccorice is bound to be good in my books. Anyone who opposes the black liccorice flavour hasn't tried the right foods, this will certainly change your perspective on black liccorice.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon anise extract
  • 2 3/4 cups flour (12.5 oz)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 scant teaspoon salt
I am also going to list the ingredients for icing, I however did not use this. As I said, I am a big fan of anise, and really didn't want anything to take away from the flavour. I'm sure the people I were baking for might have enjoyed this, since only a small number actually enjoyed the cookie as much as I did, others found the taste to be too overpowering so the icing would have probably won them over... in any case, onto the recipe and you can choose for yourself.

Icing:
  • 1 1/2 cup spowdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons milk plus extra if needed
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon anise extract
  • Multi-Colored Sprinkles
Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick foil.

Beat the sugar, melted butter, eggs, milk and anise extract together using low speed of a hand-held mixer.

Thoroughly stir together the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the batter and stir just until blended.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons, shaping a little to form nice roundes, 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets and bake on center rack for 10 to 14 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are light golden. Cool on wire racks.

Make icing. Mix the sugar and melted butter together until the sugar is moist. Add the milk and beat well until smooth. Beat in the anise extract. It should be thick but pourable. Place a piece of paper towel under your cooling rack so that the glaze can drip through, then spoon it gently over the cookies.
Sprinkle with candy sprinkles.

Makes 4-5 dozen cookies.

Enjoy! :)

No comments: