Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Oreo Cookie Bread Spread?!

Okay, so I am not a huge fan of buying cookies because I much rather go home, get my hands dirty and get down to work, because for one it’s very much enjoyable as well as relaxing, and because I know exactly what goes into the recipe and how much of it.  Sometimes this isn’t always a good thing, especially if I make something that is just purely sinful and I’m aware of this, but sometimes it’s better to turn a blindside, correct?

Well, a few weeks ago, I had come across quite a few recipes derived from Oreo’s – birthday cake Oreo’s.  If there is one weakness of mine when it comes to food, is the Duncan Hines Funfetti Cupcakes, holy moly, I do not care that they are from a box and are certainly not scratch they just perfect.  I mean I’ve had cupcakes from quite some famous bakeries and still every time I eat those rainbow speckled cupcakes I can’t help but have a little bit of a food orgasm, each and every time.  Should I have admitted that?  I’m not sure, but I did.  Anywho, as I was saying, I kept seeing these Oreo’s creep up all over the blogosphere and it sent a bit of sadness to my heart because I figured just like most limited edition special treats that they would only be offered to my fellow American friends, but low and behold when I went to the grocery store I saw the shiny golden package and shot (embarrassingly) a fist in the air obviously stating my state of delight.

With that being said, the only clear and obvious thing to do was pick up a bag. Well, well, when I opened the bag, my nose definitely went to heaven.  I then had the first bite and holy moly.  When reading other peoples comments regarding these cookies they said they were just sweet but not that different from your traditional Oreo’s – I beg to differ.  These instantly sent me Duncan Hines Funfetti heaven, and it’s where they took me each and every time I ate one. 

Well, a few days after I bought the bag, they disappeared, needless to say, I returned to the grocery store (for that sole purpose … oh and maybe to buy some Funfetti icing, which to my disappointment they discontinued, I don’t want to talk about it, I was not impressed).  However, as I later returned to looking at more blog posts I came across a recipe for an Oreo spread.   Say what?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Yeah, my thoughts exactly.  Within a few seconds of reading the title, I didn’t even take a look at the recipe before I took my laptop into the kitchen to set up.  As I continued to look at the ingredients well, obviously, I had everything on hand (don’t you love how Oreo’s are accidentally vegan?  Love it!

Anyhow, I got my food processor out with the rest of the ingredients and holy cow.  This dip/spread is out of this world.  I thought Nutella would never beat, well it definitely has competition with this spread.  It’s a little offsetting when you realize what you’re eating (especially if you have it on toast – it definitely makes your brain do a weird little dance up there).  I had talked about this spread for a few days to my boyfriend before he attempted it and he definitely couldn’t wrap his head around it, which is understandable it is weird, but it’s sooooooooooooooo good!  I would say, if you are looking to be indulgent and really not care, attempt this because you will not regret it, it’s divine and oh so delicious, especially served with fruit in lieu of Nutella.

Oreo Spread

Recipe slightly adapted from here


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups coarsely crushed Oreos
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cups coconut milk, depending on consistency desired
Directions:

If using coconut oil, warm it up to a liquid state.  Combine crushed cookies, oil and vanilla in a food processor and process until the crumbs are finely ground, then add milk in a slow, stead stream, keeping an eye on the consistency and stopping to check if needs (3/4 cup of milk will leave you with a much thinner product than you may want, so watch closely).  Store in the fridge.

Oreo Carob Toast



Because I made a ton of this spread, and I didn't just want to eat it by the spoonfuls (although it was tasty that way!), I wanted to make use of it in a spread-like way.  So I did.  This was the definition of sinful.  I couldn't believe what I was eating, and although it wasn't healthy, sometimes it's nice to indulge, so indulge I did, and not a single regret was given.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 heaping tbsp of Oreo spread 
  • 1 slice of bread 
  • 1/2 banana - cut into slices
  • Handful of carob chips
  • Maple syrup - to taste
Directions:

Spread your Oreo spread on your bread.  Chop your banana pieces into desired thickness and arrange on your bread.  Top with carob chips and maple syrup.  Broil for a few minutes until bananas have caramelized and your bread has toasted.


Have you ever tried cookie spreads?
What/how did you enjoy them?

No comments: