Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Tropical Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Eeeeh, I'm so excited to post this recipe for you guys.  Yes, of course it's another quinoa oat breakfast.  I'm actually hooked on this flaked oat now.  When I first started eating this breakfast I told you guys I wasn't too sure on the texture.  However the more I make it, and in turn the more I consume it, the more I'm beginning to really, really enjoy it.  Unfortunately I only have about two days left worth of quinoa flakes left so I'm going to have to think of some good ways to combine them so that they don't get used up in a boring way ;).

The recipe I'm posting you today is certainly not boring.  Can we go back in time to Easter of this year?  Do you remember when I posted two different Tropical Carrot Cake Muffin/Carrot Cake Muffin recipes?  No?  How about one of the most memorable and delicious smoothie I've ever posted on this blog; Tropical Carrot Cake Smoothie.  Or the ever so delicious Tropical Carrot Cake with "Cheesecake" Frosting?  Well... the other morning when I woke up I was craving these flavours.  I knew it would be a little "trickier" since I didn't have my blender or food processor, but I did have a pot so I could steam the carrot (as such in the smoothie recipe).

When I woke up to make this oatmeal recipe, I was incredibly excited.  I'd written on a piece of paper the night before the ingredients I wanted to go into this bowl... when it comes to carrot cake I'm a little picky.  Over time (especially when it's me baking) I will play with more ingredients, but if ever I was to eat carrot cake at a restaurant/store, I tend to only like the basic carrot cake versions sans nuts and raisins.  This version has nuts, and unfortunately I had used up all my raisins when I made the Broccoli and Trail Mix Salad.  That was okay though, because I still had walnuts, pineapple, coconut, and of course carrots so I knew it would still taste delicious, and it was.

This reminded me of fall flavours with a tropical summer twist to it.  I really enjoyed it, and certainly savoured each and every bite.

Tropical Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Recipe inspired by all of the above links.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 banana, ripened 
  • 1/4 large carrot (or 4 baby carrots)
  • Handful of coconut
  • 2-3 chunks of pineapple, cut into tiny pieces
  • 1 heaping tsp of cinnamon 
  • Handful of walnuts
  • Dash of salt
Directions:

Steam your carrot until nice and soft.  Once you have a nice soft carrot mash or cut into little chunks.  Set aside.

In a medium pot add your quinoa flakes, water, soy milk, dash of salt and cinnamon.  Once it’s come to a boil throw in your banana (chunks), carrot, pineapple chunks (leaving some aside to garnish), and some coconut. Mix until you have a nice thick consistency or until you reach your desired consistency.  Add to your bowl, top with walnuts, coconut, pineapple and additional cinnamon.

How do you enjoy your carrot cake?

No comments: