Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

New Blog feature + African Stew = delicious.

Hey everyone,
  So today I fly back home... goodbye British Columbia.  Unfortunately one week in a beautiful province such as this is far, far too short.  I mean, I didn't get to see nearly as much as I would have liked, but what I did see I am incredibly gracious that I was even able to see it in the first place.  I had an amazing time.  I saw things I never get to see in Ontario, I met family that I'd never even heard of before, and I spent time with family that I love and made memories that I will truly treasure forever.  This was definitely something I needed.  I got away from stuff that I had on my mind, and had the best time that I've had in a long time.  This place, and the people will truly be missed that's for sure.  But, coming home, also means moving to a new area, it is going to bring new adventures, new challenges, and new friends, in which I truly do look forward to.

To start, I've recently come across a new widget to add to my blog.  You can now receive my blog posts by RSS feed (email), woohoo!  I'm pretty excited about this :)

Yesterday my blog post was for the Mexican celebration of Cinco de Mayo, I figured I would post another recipe for a dish that is not of my culture or even something that I'd tasted before.  This is a dish for an African stew.  When I first laid eyes upon this before even looking at the ingredient list I was immediately smitten.  Corn, black beans (which I've lately been obsessed with), sweet potato, spinach, etc... yummy!  Then when I looked at the ingredient list I was even more enamored, I knew I was going to be making this. 

I had made this for my mom, her boyfriend, Jenna and I.  I really did enjoy this.  Unfortunately however, the sweet potatoes (it was not directed to parboil or anything, so I figured with all the cooking time it would soften, but it took much, much longer).  Nevertheless, the finished product was so incredibly, creamy, spicy, hearty, corny (haha), warm and delicious.  I liked this dish a lot, it was definitely neat to try food from a culture that I had never tried before.  I'm not sure if I would make it again, but it was definitely something worth trying and certainly scrumptious.  The next day my mom actually ate this more so as a dip, using corn chips, I would eat it with rice if I were to make it again, but when I made it the night of I didn't use rice, oops, that certainly would of helped mellow out the heat!

African Stew

Recipe taken from here


Do you like to try out food from cultures you've never tried before?  If so, what have been some of your favourites up-to now?

Reminder: subscribe me via email or follow me with Blogger :)!

No comments: