Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

P'tit poisson, p'tit poisson...

Last week I came across a truly drool-worthy blog, Our Life In Food, I spent quite some time perusing through each and every recipe. I couldn't help it, every picture was just so beautiful that it made me want to make each and every recipe even if I didn't eat the food shown in the picture. I did however make a few recipes from their blog, I couldn't help it, I had the ingredients, and they were so fantastic looking I had to try them out!

The first recipe I tried was Mushroom and Goat Cheese Strudel with Balsamic Reduction. I cannot even describe to you how delicious this was. Everything melded so perfectly well together it was pure bliss. The crunchy texture from the phyllo dough, with the beautifully melted sweet goat cheese, and the reduced mushrooms beautiful flavour, paired with the reduced balsamic... oh it was a party in my mouth. I made this for my mom as well, honestly delicious.

Next I made the seafood-lovers version of the above recipe: Phyllo Wrapped Salmon and Goat Cheese with Balsamic Reduction. This was just like the above recipe. I made this for my friend Jenna and I. The smell that the oven was giving off, holy moly. I took it out, and within seconds, hands burning and all, started eating it as though it was a burrito. It was so fantasticallyfantabulouslydeliciouslyamazing. Yes, it was just that great, that it deserved that huge, not-so real word to describe just how great it really was. I love reduced balsamic vinegar too, it makes the perfect dipping sauce, or sauce to pour on top, (especially on strawberries, yum!) This recipe, and the one above I would hands down, make it in a heartbeat. It was so beautiful to look at, seriously the photographs may not prove this, but it was beautifully presented, and it tasted so great that if it was at a restaurant I'd be willing to pay $22.95 for it with a side salad. Not only was it gorgeous and tasted fantastic it was incredibly filling, was the perfect end to the night, if I were a wine drinker I sure this would be so fantastic with a glass of wine.

When it comes to salmon recipes, that is definitely and with out a doubt my new favourite way to eat salmon, oh man, and to think I never even used to enjoy eating cooked salmon, I only liked it raw... it really goes to show you how when something is not prepared properly it can really make you dislike that item; hence my brother's and I "allergy" to green beans when we visit our grandparent's house... sorry, but true.

Mushroom and Goat Cheese Strudel with Balsamic Reduction

Recipe taken from here

Ingredients:

  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 pound mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
  • 8 fresh phyllo dough sheets
  • 1/2 cup goat cheese, more or less to taste
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions:

Saute the onions until they are tender. Add the garlic and saute for approximately one minute. Add the mushrooms and saute until the moisture released evaporates and the mushrooms start to brown, approximately 15 minutes.

Add the parsley to the mushroom mixture, season with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat.

Brush one sheet of phyllo dough with olive oil, and top it with a second sheet. Brush the second sheet with olive oil, and then top it with the third sheet. Brush the third sheet with olive oil, and then top it with the fourth sheet. Sprinkle approximately 1/4 of the goat cheese along one of the long edges of the dough. Spoon half of the mushroom mixture on top of the cheese, followed by another 1/4 of the cheese. Fold the short edges of the phyllo dough over the filling and then roll the phyllo dough to form a long roll. Repeat steps 3-6 for a second phyllo dough roll. Place the two rolls seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush the tops of the rolls with olive oil.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until golden brown (about 20 minutes).

While the strudels are baking, simmer the balsamic vinegar over medium low heat until it has reduced by half. Remove the pan from the heat, where it will continue to thicken as it cools.

Serve the strudels with the balsamic syrup for dipping.

Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon and Goat Cheese with Balsamic Reduction

Recipe taken from here

Ingredients:

  • Salmon fillets
  • 4 tbsp goat cheese
  • 12 sheets phyllo dough
  • Pam was used - instead of butter
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Lay the first sheet of phyllo down on your work surface and brush sparingly with melted butter. Repeat until you have 6 sheets layered on top of each other.

Season the salmon with salt and pepper and place at an angle, pretty far into the phyllo so that the edges will close over the fish easily. Top the salmon with approximately two tablespoons of goat cheese. Bring the corner of the phyllo dough up on top of the fish and fold in the sides, wrapping the salmon like you would fold a burrito. When the salmon is wrapped, brush the top of the phyllo dough with more butter.

Repeat the process for the next salmon fillet.

Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 35 minutes or until golden brown.

While the salmon is cooking, pour the balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the vinegar reduces and has thickened, approximately 5-10 minutes. Take the vinegar off of the heat, and it will thicken more as it cools.

Serve the salmon drizzled with the balsamic reduction.

Crab Stuffed Salmon

Recipe taken from here

Let's just say this. When you mix two of my favourite fish together I think it is impossible to be disappointed. Yes, for this I used imitation crab, I love Pollock, when I eat real crab I get hives so I love my crabby flavoured Pollock. This meal was so simple to put together, and it looked gorgeous. I swear every bite was a little bite of heaven. The Pollock got crispy, and the salmon was cooked just right. Dill and salmon goes together like peanut butter and jam, however, salmon and crab together like white on rice. Oh this was fantastic. It was such a perfect dinner, I really enjoyed it and would surely make it over and over again :)

Ingredients:

  • 2 wild-caught salmon filets
  • 4 oz imitation crab meat
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3-4 sprigs fresh dill, minced
  • 1/4 lemon
  • Kosher salt and black pepper

Directions:

Combine the crab, garlic, dill, juice from 1/4 lemon, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Slice the salmon filets lengthwise down the center to create a space for stuffing.

Stuff the salmon filets with the crab. Top each with a few pats of butter, about a tablespoon a piece, (I did not do this).

4. Bake for 18 minutes at 400 degrees.

Salmon with Avocado Salsa

Recipe adapted from here

The last recipe I tried from their website was for a delicious salmon. I loved this dish. It was quick to put together, and it was very simple to make. What I really enjoyed about this, is that the spices on the fish formed a very beautiful crispy crust. I loved the flavours that were used, together they formed such a perfect unison. Topped with the avocado salsa this dish just came together perfectly. Crispy crust + creamy spread = divinity. This reminded me of the summer due to the beautiful hints of lime, avocado, cilantro, and of course the fish. I would certainly make this again, mmm, especially with a side of basmati rice and a simple salad, helllloooo.

Ingredients:

Fish:

  • 2 salmon fillets
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • Sprinkle of salt

Salsa:

  • 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
  • 3-4 slices of red onion, sliced thin
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Salt to taste

Directions:

Mix the coriander, cumin, paprika, onion powder, black pepper, and salt together. Rub the mahi-mahi fillets with a good drizzle of olive oil and the seasoning mix, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Combine the avocado, red onion, hot pepper, lime juice, cilantro, and salt in a bowl and mix well, chilling until ready to use.

Broil the salmon until cooked through and crispy on the outside. Serve the fish topped with the salsa.

No comments: