Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Your Favourite Desserts in Breakfast Form!

Growing up I was never a fan of breakfast. If I did eat breakfast it wasn't your typical breakfast. It varied between mushroom or shrimp Mr. Noodles, Macaroni and Cheese (my way), or a biiiiig bowl of ice cream. I'm not really sure why my parents allowed this, but it may explain as to why I was such a talkative kid in class, and why I always got into trouble. Even in high school, I never really ate breakfast, if I did it was in first or second period where I would "go to the washroom" i.e. sneak to the cafeteria and buy one or two of the most amazing-undercooked chocolate chip cookies. Oh, they were certainly not good for you. The grease they left on your fingers, but, the flavour, oh my goodness, it was so amazing! I loved it. However, through out high school they changed the way they made their cookies and they went from god-like to dirt under my shoe; overcooked and hard, hard, hard. Needless to say I needed to find a new breakfast, what did I choose? Miss Vickies Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar chips. What was wrong with me? After grade nine that all stopped. It's not that I ate healthier, but I just gave all that food up, cold turkey, haven't been back since (the chips, not the cookies).

As the years went on, my eating habits changed, and boy did they change. However, my breakfast routine was still improving. I started eating bran bars, cottage cheese with fruit, protein shakes, and others.

Lately, I've been having oatmeal or smoothies for breakfast. My breakfasts' are my most exciting part of the day. Honestly, I can't wait to wake up in the morning to make my breakfast. I find that I've been making sweeter breakfasts' than I normally would, however, I like it this way, because myself personally, I know it doesn't work for everyone, but if I start off the day with a little bit of sweets I find that I don't crave it later in the day. Why? I've already tapped into the sweet tooth, if I haven't had something sweet by two or three, my body knows and that's when I hit the freezer for some frozen yoghurt or a frozen cookie... not good. So if I do it this way it's better. I know that some people, if they start eating sugar lately than they eat it through out the whole day, but not me, so it does work.

I am going to be posting three excellent oatmeal ideas. I have quite a bit of fantastic looking oatmeals saved to my recipe list, but after those are done, I have some ideas I'd like to try out. For now, I've been borrowing ideas from other bloggers. And lucky you, you get to see them too because they are just crazily good.

Tiramisu Oatmeal

Recipe taken from here

Let's start with this mornings breakfast, because it is fresh in my mind. This was
so filling. It was not a huge amount of oatmeal, but the small amount it was was worth it. I loved baked oatmeal, there's just something about it, it reminds me of almost an apple crisp - which I absolutely adore. This one was really special though because of the ooey-gooey baked bananas in and on top of the oatmeal, sprinkles with brown sugar, cinnamon and chocolate? It was a match made in heaven. It may not be your generic Italian tiramisu but it certainly is lovely. The oatmeal itself packed such a warm, banana punch it's hard to not fall head over heels in-love with it from the first-bite. I was really tempted to take my can of whipped cream and put a little bit on to make it even more sinful, but I figured it was delicious as is, why mask the already amazing flavours? Definitely, definitely recommend this oatmeal idea!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking powder
    Directions:

    Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. In the meantime, take the rolled oats, 1/4 cup water, and 1/2 cup almond milk. Mix together and cook in the microwave for around 5 minutes.

    Slice a large banan into coins and set on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil, spritzed with a bit of canola oil.

    Mix together the cocoa powder, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Then shake the mixture over the bananas and use a fork to poke into each and press into the powder to coat well. Set in the oven for three minutes. When the oats are done cooking, pour in the extra 1/4 cup almond milk and the coconut flour. Stir in the vanilla and baking powder. Remove banana slices from the oven. Sprinkle a bit more cocoa powder on top for extra deliciousness. Save four to six of the coins for after the bake. But take the rest and mix into the oats.

    Lightly grease two ramekins. Divide mixture evenly between them. Then bake for 10 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Top with the remaining banana coins.


    Mixed Berry Dumpling Oatmeal - deleted my pictures of the "Mixed Berry" one by accident, but here is a picture with peaches, mangoes and pineapple - SOOOO good!

    Recipe adapted from here


    Oh my goodness! I have never been one for jam, or even compote, but I decided to give this bad boy a try, because, well it looked so cute and pretty with the nice colour hue from the blueberries. This was fantastic! It was good because you could have your oatmeal without the compote, you could swirl it in, you could take a bite of oatmeal with a taste of compote oh you could do so much. The colour was so beautiful so it made me want to eat this even more. I loved it. I let the compote cool down for a minute or so, and the mix of hot and luke-warm was just delicious. I would like to try this with a tropical fruit compote, I think it would be really exciting, sprinkled with some coconut flakes on top? Oh, I think so! Yummy, I think I will try that out, until then I have this good memory, dee-lish.

    Ingredients:
    • 1/2 cup rolled oats
    • 1 1/2 cup water
    • 1/2 banana, sliced thinly
    • Pinch of salt
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/4 tsp of pumpkin spice
    • 1 tbsp flax seed meal
    • 1 tsp coconut sap
    • 1 tbsp mixed berry compote*
    Directions:

    In a medium size pan, heat the oats, water, and salt over medium heat. Once the mixture begins to simmer, approximately 5-6 minutes, stir in the sliced banana. Continue to stir until the banana breaks down and the mixture thickens. Add the vanilla, pumpkin spice, flax seed meal, and stevia, and stir until incorporated.

    Pour into a serving bowl and top with blueberry compote.

    *Mixed Berry Compote
    • 1 cup frozen mixed berries: strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries
    • 1 cup water
    • 6 tsp corn starch
    • 1/2-1 tsp agave nectar

    Combine all ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil while stirring. Once the mixture begins to boil, turn it off and give it a few more stirs. It should start to thicken quickly. Transfer from pot to serving container or to storage container.

    Enjoy over oats, yogurt, and/or as syrup over pancakes if you thin it out a bit by adding more water or corn starch.

    Apple Crumble Oatmeal

    Recipe taken from here

    Scrumptious. If you are a fan of apple crumble than this is for you. Just picture your moms famous apple crumble recipe, and picture the crumble part, the best part, the cinnamon, the oats, the brown sugar all melded into one. This is it. This oatmeal, and with apple pieces inside of it too. This to me was such a treat for my breakfast, hallelujah it was divine. It was sweet, it had spice, crunch, vitamins, the perfect blend for what you want your breakfast to have. I know I say that about like every recipe I'm sorry, I just really love food, and I especially love oatmeal. This is definitely a great oatmeal for those cold mornings when you just don't want to get out of bed, this just assures you you're going to have a good day because you started it with something so good :).

    Ingredients:

    • 1/2 cup rolled oats
    • 1/2 small apple, cored, and chopped
    • 1 1/2 cup water
    • Pinch of salt
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 tbsp flax seed meal
    • 1 tsp stevia
    • Heaping 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tbsp Uncle Sam cereal
    • 1 tbsp toasted walnut pieces
    Directions:

    In a medium size pan, heat the oats, apple, water, and salt over medium heat. Once the mixture begins to simmer, approximately 5-6 minutes, turn it down to medium low and cook for another 3-4 more minutes to allow the apples to soften. Stir often.

    Next add the vanilla, flax seed meal, stevia, and cinnamon, and stir until incorporated.

    Pour into a serving bowl and top with Uncle Sam cereal and toasted walnuts. Enjoy!

    That is it for now, but I hope this helps you with your breakfast decisions!