Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

A Tasty Dinner.

Portabellas with Peanut Sauce

Recipe taken from here

This week my meals have been so insanely delicious, not only my meals but my snacks as well. One of my favourite snacks that I had this week were Portabella with Peanut Sauce which I found the recipe from one of my favourite blogs (never home)maker. I found this recipe and knew that I would definitely be making it this week since I had a leftover portabella mushroom from the Portabello Stacker. As good as the sandwich was, I wanted to save that beautiful mushroom for something just as equally special, and I’m glad I saved it for this.

This recipe was so delicious, and it was so easy to make. I had a dentist appointment the other night, and I wanted to whip up a quick snack that would fill me for a little bit of time, and would be fast enough to make without making my dad wait for me.

I quickly got into the kitchen at around 5:43pm and was done and sitting at the table by 5:57pm. The sauce that was made really reminded me of something that I would get at a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant, however, I’ve never seen such a simple meal at one of those restaurants so this was certainly special. I devoured this. By the end of the pieces, my plate looked like a disaster zone since I wanted to scoop up every ounce of the sauce since it was just so tasty. I was a little afraid at first that I might of put too much cayenne pepper, because I had tried the sauce before putting it on the mushrooms and thought it was incredibly spicy. However, when paired with the mushrooms you don’t only taste the cayenne, but you get the gorgeous spice from the ginger and you taste the sweetness from the peanut butter and the soy milk that I used.

I loved this, and will definitely be making this again.

Ingredients:

  • 4 large portabella mushrooms, scrub and remove stems
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp EVOO
  • 2 tbsp soy milk
  • Sesame seeds
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ginger powder

Directions:

Slice mushrooms into 1/4-ish inch slices. In a large pan, spray with a bit of olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Lay out mushroom slices on the pan and reduce heat to medium. Cook and gently stir until both sides are lightly browned, mostly, these mushrooms will get soft and juicy. Set aside.

In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, and oil. Then add the soy milk and whisk until smoothe. Add the cayenne pepper, ginger, and sesame seeds. Stir until well incorporated.

Lay out mushroom slices on a plate and drizzle/top with a generous helping of the peanut sauce.

Couscous with Curried Caramelized Onions and Tomatoes


Recipe taken from here

After I returned from the dentist I was still hungry and had decided that I would make a dish that I had been eying for quite some time now. I had never had Israeli couscous before but had seen it on numerous blogs and was really interested in trying it out, so when I had come across them at the Bulk Barn I immediately scooped a bunch into a plastic bag. I knew immediately what I was going to make since I had saved the recipe prior to buying the couscous.

When I had seen recipes using Israeli couscous I thought it was just like the yellow couscous you usually come across but a sub-specie of it, however I was wrong. I did some reading about it the other day and found out that it is similar to the Italian orzo, with is a genre of pasta.

I was incredibly excited to try this because… well it’s been over a year now since I’ve had pasta. This was delicious. It brought back memories of me eating pasta, I know that sounds so weird, but I mean once you haven’t had something in a long time, have it again it’s pure bliss, especially considering my whole life, growing up in an Italian home my diet was mainly built from pasta, cheese and bread - incredibly healthy I know.

I’m so glad that the first time I tried out this grain it was with something as marvelous as this recipe. Seriously, it had such bold and intense flavour without it being too overpowering. It was simply divine. I found that the couscous itself wasn’t insanely flavourful so the flavour from the curried caramelized onions and the acidic tomatoes was simply perfect. The curried caramelized onions was something I had never experienced before, (however, I believe that if I had tried the Sea Scallops with Spiced Bacon it would have been similar to those flavour pairings). I’m glad I made this since I now know, similarly what that dish tasted like. This meal however, ugh, it was so filling and just incredibly flavourful. I loved absolutely every single part of it, and will surely be attempting this one again.

I can’t wait to have some more of this couscous, since I will be making my all-time favourite meal (it’s a macaroni and cheese that I seriously lived off of growing up… not your typical macaroni and cheese either. However, it is a meal that I haven’t had in over a year since I wasn’t eating pasta, so I cannot wait and will surely be making room for it in the next week!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Israeli couscous
  • Sea salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 large yellow onions (Spanish or sweet), sliced
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tomato, chopped

Directions:


Drop the couscous into a large pot of rapidly boiling, salted water, and cook like pasta, until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain and rinse briefly under cool water.


Meanwhile, caramelize the onions. Heat the olive oil in a large, wide skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute, tossing occasionally with tongs, for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle in the brown sugar, balsamic, curry powder, and a pinch more salt, and continue cooking, and giving a stir or two, over this assertive heat for 5 more minutes. Then reduce the heat to low and cook, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes longer, or until very soft, glisteny, and sweet.


Stir in the cooked couscous, top with the tomatoes, cilantro and serve warm, or at room temperature.


Enjoy :)

No comments: