Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

National Oatmeal Month.

What better time to get on track with starting to implementi healthier and fuller breakfasts in one's diet than National Oatmeal Month? When I found out that January was National Oatmeal Month I knew it was a sign for me to get my diet back on track. "Oatmeal is wonderful because it contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. It has the effect to lower cholesterol which is beneficial to the heart. It helps you feel full for longer and reduces hunger therefore when people are on diets they use oatmeal as a weight loss method. Oatmeal may help to lower the level of high blood pressure as well, due to its high fiber content." And so much more.

January is the month in which we purchase the most oatmeal than any other month of the year, which is why January is known as Oatmeal Month. We stock enough oatmeal in this month to make 346 million bowls of oatmeal - more about the subject here.

I thought that was incredibly interesting. And since I help add to the percentage of oatmeal buyers I thought why not post a recipe or two with oatmeal in it? The other day I came across a wonderful looking bowl of oatmeal and knew that I would be making that for my breakfast. Scratch what I was planning on making because it had oatmeal and cardamom, and how I love cardamom. I haven't always been the biggest fan of walnuts, but my taste buds are becoming more and more open to the idea of walnuts, and this bowl of oats certainly helped. I loved this. It was so nice to wake up to a warm breakfast that had warm hints of spice and nuts. This took no time at all, and was incredibly filling. I would certainly make this bowl of oats again.

Cardamom Walnut Oatmeal

Recipe taken from here

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup quick cook oats
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
Directions:

Combine and cook the first two ingredients in the microwave for 1.5 to 2 minutes until it thickens. Top with walnuts, cardamom and sugar.

Baked Pear Crumble

Next was something I quickly whipped up for a dessert but would definitely be good as an afternoon snack, quick breakfast, or again a dessert. It was so tasty. The pear released such beautiful juices, and the flavour of the pear was even more enhanced due to the flavours that were chosen for the "crumble". This took no longer than one minute to assemble, four minutes to "bake", and ten minutes to gobble down. Not only that, even though it was a small amount of food it was incredibly filling. I loved it, and will definitely be making it again. I think this week I am going to try it with cinnamon and perhaps a slab of homemade peanut butter.

Ingredients:
  • 1 firm pear
  • 1 1/2 tsp applesauce or butter
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar
  • 2 tbsp quick oats
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • Couple pieces of cocoa nib chips
Directions:

Cut pear in half and take out the core.

Place on a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for two minutes.

Mix together the applesauce/butter, agave nectar, oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, ginger and cocoa nibs until completely combined.

Take the pears out of the microwave and top with your mixture.

Return to microwave for another 2 minutes on high.

Let cool for one minute and enjoy.

No comments: